The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
No it's not. It's about picking up the pivot foot and putting it back down.
Actually, this comment is not correct either. If the pivot foot is lifted before the ball is released for a dribble, whether or not it's put back down has no bearing on the violation.

I know you know that, but it just seemed like you were quick to point out a fault, without asking what stiffler really meant. And, what stiffler said is actually how I've heard it phrased at many camps. Another good tip I've heard at camp is to pick up the defender a little quicker on a drive so it makes the block/charge call a little easier to call. I sure hope that doesn't mean I have to put both arms around the defender and pick them up off the floor?

I think Bob was simply pointing out you seem to be the one that needs to lighten up a little. You could've simply asked stiffler what they meant, instead of assuming they were phrasing it incorrectly.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

This is the last I'll say about this, so if you want to keep harping on it, feel free. I only read his response one way. It didn't dawn on me that there was another way to take it. I only realized after Bob mentioned the other interpretation of it that I misread what he intended to say. I would have been fine with that (but I still think it's a poor choice of words given the way I interpreted it, which was valid), except for the pissy "Lah me" BS tossed in at the end. As if I'm some sort of moron for reading it the way I did. The "asking what he meant" goes both ways. Jurrasic could get away with that crap but a moderator of the forum should hold himself to a higher standard.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Know what book states..but how do you recognize it? what should I be looking for?
Practical Steps You Can Take to Improve:

1) Identify the pivot foot once the ball is caught by the offensive player. (this takes some practice....so try doing it in the games you have left OR during ALL games you watch on TV).

2) Count the steps AFTER the offensive player ends his dribble....2 or less is OK...3 or more and you've got a travel. (this takes some practice....so try doing it in the games you have left OR during ALL games you watch on TV).
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
2) Count the steps AFTER the offensive player ends his dribble....2 or less is OK...3 or more and you've got a travel. (this takes some practice....so try doing it in the games you have left OR during ALL games you watch on TV).
I can't agree with this.
Identify pivot foot if the player picks it up before he dribbles- TRAVEL.
If he picks it up and places it down before he shoots or passes- TRAVEL.

I never go by the amount of steps. It leads to wrong calls.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
I can't agree with this.

not if you count correctly...which is pretty easy to do.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
This is the last I'll say about this, so if you want to keep harping on it, feel free. I only read his response one way. It didn't dawn on me that there was another way to take it. I only realized after Bob mentioned the other interpretation of it that I misread what he intended to say. I would have been fine with that (but I still think it's a poor choice of words given the way I interpreted it, which was valid), except for the pissy "Lah me" BS tossed in at the end. As if I'm some sort of moron for reading it the way I did. The "asking what he meant" goes both ways. Jurrasic could get away with that crap but a moderator of the forum should hold himself to a higher standard.
Hahahahahaha!!

I love this stuff...Smitty gets pissy with stiffler, then gets all upset when Bob gets pissy with him!

That's awesome!
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
I can't agree with this.

check out this video:

LeBron James' jump stop/"travel" against the Boston Celtics in Game 2, 2010 Playoffs - YouTube

doesn't matter if this moves occurs in the NBA, NCAA, or High School....it is not a travel and, if you count correctly, you've got TWO steps after the gather....
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you, but the choice of words was poor, at best. Who pee'd in your cornflakes this morning? Lighten up, Francis.
Actually it wasn't and mostly people that do not have better to do make an issue out of this. Honestly, I have said the same thing for years and never had anyone assume it was more than what I was talking about. "It is all about picking up the pivot foot" when trying to call traveling. If you know which foot is the pivot foot, then you can call this more consistently. Only someone here would think that had anything to do with what the pivot foot can do.

Lah me.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
not if you count correctly...which is pretty easy to do.
End my dribble with left foot on ground (pivot foot). Right foot steps-1st step. Left foot (pivot) steps-2nd step. Travel?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
check out this video:

LeBron James' jump stop/"travel" against the Boston Celtics in Game 2, 2010 Playoffs - YouTube

doesn't matter if this moves occurs in the NBA, NCAA, or High School....it is not a travel and, if you count correctly, you've got TWO steps after the gather....
Correct if you gather while in mid air. (Which the video shows he did).
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

This was also my biggest problem as an official. Sitting in the stands or lying on the couch I could spot a travel with ease. When you get on the court, and everything happens right in front of you it's actually more difficult to some degree.

The biggest thing for me was to start officiating from the ground up. The first thing I do when someone receives a pass is to ID the pivot foot (feet). Once you have that as others have said officiating the travel becomes less and less a conscious effort, and more of an instant reaction when it happens.

Work from the ground up EVERY time and you will become a much better traveling official.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
except for the pissy "Lah me" BS
That's your interpretation.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's your interpretation.

Damn, you're good Bob!
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
check out this video:

I disagree , he did not gather with left foot on floor(did not take 2 steps).

Gather occurs with right foot on floor (in this case ball slapped together simultaneously with right foot hitting floor), jumps off right foot and lands on 2 simultaneously (only 1 step).
If he would have gathered while left foot on floor then right foot hits (jumps off right foot) and lands on 2 feet then you have travel.

See topic I started on "Reggie Miller calls travel...."
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
If he would have gathered while left foot on floor then right foot hits (jumps off right foot) and lands on 2 feet then you have travel.

See topic I started on "Reggie Miller calls travel...."
Under NBA rules, that would not be a travel. The player just wouldn't be allowed to pivot after the jump stop.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.