Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 07:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I agree.

Well Camron, your crediblity just went into the outhouse, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Well Camron, your crediblity just went into the outhouse, .

MTD, Sr.
Nothing new this week.....two playoff games so far, 1 last on Saturday, one this Wednesday, both for teams who's coaches can't stand me.

The one on Saturday was so much so that the pregame chat with the coaches nearly started a new ice age when I shook one of the coach's hands....my last game with him had ended with him being so frustrated that he chased us into the locker room as we left the court (followed by a phone call from me to the assignor). However, by the end of this game, he was probably in love with me as his team pulled off a very unlikely upset.

Will have one on Wednesday where the coach can be difficult. Last game I had with him, I blew whistle for very obvious contact right after my partner had blown his whistle for a different foul. With more info from my partner, I found out the fouler had tripped and was off balance from the first foul (less than a second prior) and only stumbled into the player I was was covering. Now knowing how he got there, I decided it was not actually intentional nor was it excessive enough for intentional. My partner reported his original foul. I explained to the coaches that mine, by rule, was not a foul since it was after the ball was dead and the contact wasn't intentional. The coach who's player was "fouled" merely said "OK" and walked away. The coach who's player was spared a T decided to give me grief about it....I said to him "Are you really complaining about me NOT calling a T on your player?" and I walked away.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 07:38pm.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Alabama Creighton

This exact play just happened with 3.4 seconds left in the first half of the Alabama/Creighton game. Alabama had a throw in under Creighton's basket. The officials ruled that A2 for Alabama caught the thrown in while standing on the sideline. The officials discussed and gave the ball to Creighton at the endline underneath Creighton's basket (i.e. the spot of Alabama's throwin).

P.S. Replay shows that the Alabama player was not actually OOB when he first touched the throw-in, but that is a judgment call not relevant to this thread.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Can't be...and I'll tell you why....

Throwin restrictions are generally placed on the thrower and the thrower is who violates if they do not meet the requirements of the throwin. If the thrower violates, the defensive team would get the ball. What if the player who was OOB was the defensive team? Does that mean the thrower violated? No. Would you give them the ball? No. You'd give it back to team A. So, what is the violation? Touching the ball while OOB. Where was the violation? Where the ball was touched.

Look at Rule 7, Section 6, Art. 2....where it says the throwin ends when a player OOB touches the ball....sounds like it legally ends.

Next look at Rule 9, Section 5, Art 1 where it says...

"The thrower-in shall not: Fail to pass the ball directly into the playing court so that after it crosses the boundary line, it touches or is legally touched by an inbounds player or when a player, who is located on the playing court, touches and causes the ball to be out of bounds "

It seems to me that the NCAA doesn't define playing court the same way as the NFHS. If they did, this rule wouldn't make any sense since it would be impossible for a player to touch the ball and cause it to be OOB if they were only inbounds.

So, if a player, who touches the ball causes the ball to be OOB, the throwin both ends and was legally executed by the thrower.

The violation is a basic OOB violation....spot of the violation.
Posted I agree, realized old thread and can't delete my post? Hmmm

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 02:28pm.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Posted I agree, realized old thread and can't delete my post? Hmmm
Because the software automatically recognizes brilliance and refuses to allow it to go away?

(Used with permission.)