The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Actually A.R. 182 states a floor-violation by an opponent does not cause the throw-in to end but ensuing throw-in is from a spot nearest to the violation.

Rule 9-15 addresses where throw-ins will occur when penalizing violations 9-3 through 9-14:

Art. 1. The ball shall become dead or remain dead when a violation occurs. The ball shall be awarded to a nearby opponent for a throw-in at a designated spot nearest to where the violation occurred.

The play from the OP falls under 9-4-1 and 9-5-2b so should be administered as stated in 9-15-1 and A. R. 182.
Good additional detail.....thx for the backup....but 7-6-2 does clearly say the throwin ends when it touches an OOB player. Other types of floor violations (kicking, for example) do not cause the throwin to end...only OOB violations. The difference is that a kick is not a legal touch in any location where catching the ball is legal, but the location happens to be illegal.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 12:16pm.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Good additional detail.....thx for the backup....but 7-6-2 does clearly say the throwin ends when it touches an OOB player. Other types of floor violations (kicking, for example) do not cause the throwin to end...only OOB violations. The difference is that a kick is not a legal touch in any location where catching the ball is legal, but the location happens to be illegal.
OK, I see what you are saying now and agree.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
JetMetFan, if you could come up with that ruling from Debbie, I'd really appreciate it. I don't think I want to bug Art Hyland with this one.
Drum roll please...I had to e-mail Debbie Williamson again since I couldn't find the original message but...

She said the ball will be put into play at the spot where A2 caught the ball with no time running off the clock.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 03:38pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Drum roll please...I had to e-mail Debbie Williamson again since I couldn't find the original message but...

She said the ball will be put into play at the spot where A2 caught the ball with no time running off the clock.
Any chance you could PM a copy of the actual email? Thanks!
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Any chance you could PM a copy of the actual email? Thanks!
Hey Scrapper -

It wouldn't be the most exciting e-mail. I didn't ask her for the rule citations. I just gave her the scenario you laid out and told her I remembered her saying the ball goes to the spot where A2 violated and that the clock wouldn't run. All she did was confirm my memory was correct
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Hey Scrapper -

It wouldn't be the most exciting e-mail. I didn't ask her for the rule citations. I just gave her the scenario you laid out and told her I remembered her saying the ball goes to the spot where A2 violated and that the clock wouldn't run. All she did was confirm my memory was correct
Great discussion. I'm curious what that rational would be for not taking at least 0.3 seconds off the clock. If the ball was legally touched, although he was OB, shouldn't some time come off?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
Great discussion. I'm curious what that rational would be for not taking at least 0.3 seconds off the clock. If the ball was legally touched, although he was OB, shouldn't some time come off?
I don't believe NCAA has a .3 rule (as far as timing goes) like the NBA does...but even so, the ball was legally touched, yet the violation occurred simultaneously. I'd agree with taking no time off the clock.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:33pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
About twenty-five years ago, the NFHS ruled this a throwin violation. Then it was changed to an out of bounds violation. I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm, or deny, my interpretation. Right now he's probably taking his early morning nap.

I am joining this thread late, but Billy is correct about the NFHS "back and forth" change that was made.

That said, if we ignore the few years when the NFHS rules said it was a throw-in violation the NFHS and NCAA rules have been identical for since at least the 1963-64 (my earliest NBCUSC Rules Book).

I am not going to climb up into the attic but I am pretty sure that there is at least one Casebook Play in an NBCUSC Casebook that covers this play and I am also pretty sure that there is a NFHS Casebook Play that covers this play and they are both the same: OOB violation by A2.

NCAA A.R. #182 does not apply to this play because the violation is a kicking violation which is considered illegal contact with the ball. The act of catching the ball while standing out of bounds is not illegal. Since there has never been an NCAA A.R. that covers the play in the OP, the NBCUSC Casebook Play is the applicable Casebook Play for the NCAA Rules because when the NBCUSC split into the NFHS and NCAA Rules Committees, it was agreed that NBCUSC Casebook Plays would continue to apply until a rule was adopted that would change the ruling of the existing Casebook Play.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
...NCAA A.R. #182 does not apply to this play because the violation is a kicking violation which is considered illegal contact with the ball. The act of catching the ball while standing out of bounds is not illegal. Since there has never been an NCAA A.R. that covers the play in the OP, the NBCUSC Casebook Play is the applicable Casebook Play for the NCAA Rules because when the NBCUSC split into the NFHS and NCAA Rules Committees, it was agreed that NBCUSC Casebook Plays would continue to apply until a rule was adopted that would change the ruling of the existing Casebook Play.
A. R. 182 may not apply but 9-15-1 addresses it sufficiently. Throw-in at a spot nearest the violation.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
Why would it? The event that would start the clock was the same event that would stop the clock. Time might come off if one official signaled the start and another signaled the stop, but that doesn't mean time has to come off....particularly when no time elapsed between the starting and stopping events.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 06:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rip Van Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm, or deny, my interpretation. Right now he's probably taking his early morning nap.
Quote:
I am joining this thread late, but Billy is correct about the NFHS "back and forth" change that was made.
And I'd bet my house that I was correct about the nap also.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 08:54pm
Administrator

Rip Van Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm, or deny, my interpretation. Right now he's probably taking his early morning nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

And I'd bet my house that I was correct about the nap also.

Billy made his post above at 07:48amEST on Wed., Feb. 08, 2012, I had just finished a 60 minute nap at the Eastbound Service Plaza at MM-90 on the Indiana Toll Road (I-80/I-90), on the homeward bound leg of my bi-weekly courier run with Chicago Public Schools payroll. So yes, I had just taken my early morning nap, . So give Billy a cigar, .

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 09:12pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
A. R. 182 may not apply but 9-15-1 addresses it sufficiently. Throw-in at a spot nearest the violation.

BadNewsRef:

You are missing the point of my post: That is, with the exception of a couple of years in the 1990's (when the NFHS considered the violation being discussed a throw-in violation), the NFHS and NCAA rule for this play has been the same for over 50 years pre-dating the NBCUSC split into the NFHS and NCAA Rules Committees.

While I do not recall an NCAA Casebook Play (When the split was made the NCAA did publish a Casebook and then went to Approved Rulings within the Rules Book.) or Approved Ruling pertaining to the play we are discussing, I am pretty sure that a NFHS Casebook Play has been published at one time or another.

I am also pretty sure that a NBCUSC Casebook Play that has been published pertaining to this play and that in the absence of an NCAA Casebook Play or Approved Ruling the NBCUSC is NCAA Ruling for this play (See my Post #23 as to why the NBCUSC Casebook applies to theNCAA Rules.).

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 09:53am
Administrator

BillyMac's Picture.

What happened to BillyMac's picture of JurrasicRef and me?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 06:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Really Didn't Expect To See It When I Got Home From Work ...

Quote:
On the homeward bound leg of my bi-weekly courier run with Chicago Public Schools payroll.
Quote:
What happened to BillyMac's picture of JurrasicRef and me?
Inappropriate. Off topic. Not funny. Not funny enough. Waste of band width. Offensive to Jurassic Referee. Nothing to do with basketball. Nothing to do with basketball officiating. Unconstitutional. Illegal. Immoral. Waste of time. Earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3335/...7c8c4002_z.jpg
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 10, 2012 at 06:41pm.