The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm not doing captains meetings at 12 minutes if my partner isn't there yet. The least important part of the game can wait a few minutes. I'd rather walk out with my partner with 7:00 on the clock than alone at 15:00.
Excellent point.

This doesn't excuse the d***bag partner who strolls into the gym a few minutes before tip, shabbily dressed already, holding his shoes as he sits next to the scorers table changing his shoes. That sure lets everyone in the gym know he's a pro.

Last edited by Smitty; Fri Feb 03, 2012 at 02:57pm.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
This falls under handling our off-court business & a simple email/phone call/text is appropriate.
Exactly. The biggest benefit of arbiter is my ability to see who my partners are and contact them. Not only do we confirm game site and tip off time, but we also note what time we'll be at the school. If I'm going to be late (even 5 minutes), I'll note that so they aren't panicking 20 minutes before game time.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If you can't make it to the game in time, don't accept the assignment. The above is no excuse. It's selfish and screws your partner over.
Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating for just showing up 15 min before tip without warning. I'd let both my partner, the assigner and the AD know a few days in advance of the situation so it's not like I'd drop it out of the blue on anyone.

Lastly I understand what you are saying but the reality is in our particlar area there is a greater demand for officials than there is a supply. Our local association assigner has a difficult time getting all the games covered as it is. In fact we have several crews of retired vasity officials in thier 70's that end up doing local Jr High games for no other reason than we can't get anyone else to do them. We also have several people who routinely work 3jr high games at 3:30, then run to a different metro school to work a freshman game at 6. I don't imagine we are the only in which that is the case.

Given the reality of the situation I don't understand why provided there is responsible communications between all parties showing up 15 min prior to a JV tip is a terrible thing.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating for just showing up 15 min before tip without warning. I'd let both my partner, the assigner and the AD know a few days in advance of the situation so it's not like I'd drop it out of the blue on anyone.

Lastly I understand what you are saying but the reality is in our particlar area there is a greater demand for officials than there is a supply. Our local association assigner has a difficult time getting all the games covered as it is. In fact we have several crews of retired vasity officials in thier 70's that end up doing local Jr High games for no other reason than we can't get anyone else to do them. We also have several people who routinely work 3jr high games at 3:30, then run to a different metro school to work a freshman game at 6. I don't imagine we are the only in which that is the case.

Given the reality of the situation I don't understand why provided there is responsible communications between all parties showing up 15 min prior to a JV tip is a terrible thing.
Where is your particular area?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Id rather not say specifically, lest I tick someone off, but I live in an midwestern state and my home association is based in a metro of about 75,000 people and is responsible for assigning games for 3 metro high schools as well as 20-30 smaller high schools in the surrounding rural areas.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where is your particular area?
IKR! Sounds like any half decent official could move there & advance in a SoCal type of way.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IKR!
WTF?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IKR! Sounds like any half decent official could move there & advance in a SoCal type of way.
I wen't from first year official with 30 sub varsity games in year one to a full time crew with 20+ varisty dates in year two. Granted I had experience officiating at a local Y when I was in HS as well as a combined two decades as a player and volunteer assistant coach.
Official Forum Member

I know, right
Official Forum Member

Quote:
WTF?
I know right?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know, right
Ahhh. Sorry, my age is apparently showing.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At least you got the internet thing figured out. Now if only you could master that VCR remote.

Last edited by Duffman; Fri Feb 03, 2012 at 03:11pm.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
At least you got the internet thing figured out. Know if only you could master that VCR remote.
Why I oughta......
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My teenage daughter keeps me up to speed with latest lingo

Quote:
Why I oughta......
3 Stooges?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 03:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
snaqwells, I should clarify, it's not all of them, but it is a higher % than guys who don't do college and guys who aren't on the board.

And I have never gotten attitude from any jv officials. Lucky me I guess. I have had jv officials that do College, have attitudes toward the board, for not giving them Varsity games at the HS level.

Everyone needs to remember there are only so many games at every level. We all think we are God's gift to basketball refereeing, but the truth is, we all are not.
I've never had problem with college guys at the HS level. Have encountered a couple jacka$$es at the JuCo level though.

I work a very modest college schdule and I've actually encountered more attitude from older, veteran Varsity officials and career JV officials who have never worked college basketball. I have quite often heard snide/sarcastic remarks from them about officials who go to camps and/or pursue college aspirations. I never advertised or voluntarily discussed what I was doing but of course word gets around. In fact, unless someone is part of my small inner circle I'm very uncomfortable discussing anything to do with me being a college official.