View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

What are your pet peeves about other officials?

I don't want this to turn into a ***** fest, but what are some of your pet peeves about other officials. For me by far my biggest is the lead baseline official who is lazy about what side of the lane they put the ball in play on. One of my varsity partners does this and it literally drives me mad.

In order to save himself the trouble of taking 3 steps across the lane, he will initiate a throw in from whatever side he happened to be on when the violation occurred without regard for where the ball was or where the ball crossed the end line. I feel like we have guidelines and mechanics for a reason, and to completely ignore them to save yourself three steps is just maddening.

The variation of this (the same partner has this in his repertoire also) is player you stand over there hand motion I'll stay here and bounce it to you hand motion followed by administering the throw in from the other side of the line. It's even worse when we are going and I bust *** to get down to the baseline, only to turn around and find I've got to run all the way back to center because you don't want to take 3 steps. One of these days I'm going to refuse and just stay there.

I'm not one of these uber anal guys who are uptight about everything, and I believe there is a time and place for almost everything. The time and place for this is for rec men's league, or during a 6 game stretch of youth ball in a tournament, NOT at a varsity DH when our local association has sent folks out to evaluate us!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

/rant