The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Clock Question

The book says if the clock doesn't display .3 seconds that we do not use the tap rule. But what if it does show tenths on the board that the clock operator uses and not the display boards that we see. Do we go by what the clock operator sees or what we see? Can we choose in this case?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
The book says if the clock doesn't display .3 seconds that we do not use the tap rule. But what if it does show tenths on the board that the clock operator uses and not the display boards that we see. Do we go by what the clock operator sees or what we see? Can we choose in this case?
If the clock shows tenths of a sec at the table but not on the scoreboard, there is still time on the clock until the horn sounds.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

My interpretation is that you go by the visible game clock.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
My interpretation is that you go by the visible game clock.
You cannot go by the visible clock, you go by the horn (it could show 0:00 and the horn does not go off). The horn is all that matters anyway, but if there are not tenths of a second you cannot apply the .3 restriction on catching and shooting.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You cannot go by the visible clock, you go by the horn (it could show 0:00 and the horn does not go off). The horn is all that matters anyway, but if there are not tenths of a second you cannot apply the .3 restriction on catching and shooting.

Peace
Scoreboard shows 0:00 but the horn has not sounded. we have a tableside throw-in... we cannot verify the time remaining?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Scoreboard shows 0:00 but the horn has not sounded. we have a tableside throw-in... we cannot verify the time remaining?
I would look to make sure the auto-horn was on. But I'm still waiting for the horn to call it.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I would look to make sure the auto-horn was on. But I'm still waiting for the horn to call it.
Of course, but what I'm asking is, the board shows zeros & the clock has .2 at the table. do we take that knowledge & not allow a catch-n-shoot or do we freestyle it?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Of course, but what I'm asking is, the board shows zeros & the clock has .2 at the table. do we take that knowledge & not allow a catch-n-shoot or do we freestyle it?
Unless I'm reading the rule wrong. Or unless we hear differently from Denver or local Poobahs.

Quote:
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Got it, thx.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Got it, thx.
For the record, I'm not entirely comfortable with not using the information we have. The rule doesn't say "scoreboard," it says "clock." I think, if put in the spot to choose, I'd likely decide to use the rule and kill the play on a catch.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:05pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
For the record, I'm not entirely comfortable with not using the information we have. The rule doesn't say "scoreboard," it says "clock." I think, if put in the spot to choose, I'd likely decide to use the rule and kill the play on a catch.
Would we tell the coaches the actual time?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Would we tell the coaches the actual time?
One of them would only want you to add more time
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If ANY display connected to the timing device (internal or external) shows tenths, then you can tell how much time the "clock" has on it to the tenths precision. Use it.

If the board shows 0:00, I'm going to ask the timer if the controller's display has tenths on on it and, if so, what it says. The rule doesn't say which display you must use or how big/small of a display is required....only the "clock"...and the clock includes the controller.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If ANY display connected to the timing device (internal or external) shows tenths, then you can tell how much time the "clock" has on it to the tenths precision. Use it.

If the board shows 0:00, I'm going to ask the timer if the controller's display has tenths on on it and, if so, what it says. The rule doesn't say which display you must use or how big/small of a display is required....only the "clock"...and the clock includes the controller.
Even before most clocks displayed tenths of a second, clocks would show tenths of a second on the display. Until the NF changes their rules as to what they mean, I am going by what the clock that everyone can see says. All I need is someone to claim we were apart of some conspiracy based on something everyone cannot see. I am not even going to ask anyone what the display says. All I am going to ask them if the horn went off and that is all. Fortunately this is almost never a problem anymore.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 04:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

+1

A clock is a timing device. What is hanging on the wall or from the rafters in a gymnasium is not a clock. It is a display. The actual timing device is located within the scoreboard's controller. And if that clock says there's 0.2 seconds left, then a tap is the only legitimate try for goal.