The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Clock Question

I'm in my 5th year doing a AA Varsity game. Watching the JV game and i notice the tenths of a second aren't on the clock under a minute. At the end of the 1Q i see 0:00 on the clock and then a full second later i hear the horn. I wasn't sure at this point i saw it correctly so then i watched the 2Q clock really close and sure enough there was a huge delay.
By halftime of the JV game my partners come in both with 20+ years of experience each and i say watch the clock at the end of the 3Q and sure enough it does it again.

Here is the question -- I debated that something was wrong but one of my more experienced partners says that's just the way it is. So our debate ranged on this fact. Before there were tenths of a second on clocks if the clock showed 2 seconds does that mean there is between 1 and 2 seconds left (which i argued) or 2-3 seconds left which he argued. It was a friendly debate with neither of us conceding. I remember vividly when i played and there was 1 second left that sometimes when you touched the ball the horn went off immediately. I then asked if we have a shooting foul with 0:00 on the clock but the horn hasn't gone off are we lining up to shoot?

Anyway just want to get some other veterans opinions.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

The period ends when the light goes on or when the horn sounds (with the light taking preference). Therefore, if there are 0's on the clock and no horn and there's a foul, shoot the free throws with players in the lane. If this happens though, make sure that auto horn is on to verify there is time left.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post
I'm in my 5th year doing a AA Varsity game. Watching the JV game and i notice the tenths of a second aren't on the clock under a minute. At the end of the 1Q i see 0:00 on the clock and then a full second later i hear the horn. I wasn't sure at this point i saw it correctly so then i watched the 2Q clock really close and sure enough there was a huge delay.
By halftime of the JV game my partners come in both with 20+ years of experience each and i say watch the clock at the end of the 3Q and sure enough it does it again.

Here is the question -- I debated that something was wrong but one of my more experienced partners says that's just the way it is. So our debate ranged on this fact. Before there were tenths of a second on clocks if the clock showed 2 seconds does that mean there is between 1 and 2 seconds left (which i argued) or 2-3 seconds left which he argued. It was a friendly debate with neither of us conceding. I remember vividly when i played and there was 1 second left that sometimes when you touched the ball the horn went off immediately. I then asked if we have a shooting foul with 0:00 on the clock but the horn hasn't gone off are we lining up to shoot?

I'd like to think if :02 shows its between :02 & :03.

Thats when you were on the road, remember?

Absolutely!

Not that I'm a veteran, IJS

Last edited by tref; Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 04:38pm.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Different clocks work in different ways. Some tick iimmediately when the clock is started, other have a second delay. Just depends on the manufacturer.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The period ends when the light goes on or when the horn sounds (with the light taking preference). Therefore, if there are 0's on the clock and no horn and there's a foul, shoot the free throws with players in the lane. If this happens though, make sure that auto horn is on to verify there is time left.
Oh yeah & the tenths generally show on the display at the table. I would verify how much time is truly left for catching & tapping purposes.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

We actaully had the tenths fixed for the Varsity game. The clock was used for wrestling or something the day before and they didn't change it back.

In my 30 years on this planet and probably over 1000 basketball games watches i've never seen anyone shoot FTs with 0:00 on the clock and the teams lined up in the lane.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Most than likely the clock will read 7:59 immediately after you start the clock. this tells you that the display is a floor function.

This means that the display only shows the full number of seconds remaining, while not displaying the amount left in the partial second that remains in additional to the full seconds.

0:00 without a horn really is anywhere from 0:00.1 to 0:00.9.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JMUplayer;719297]We actaully had the tenths fixed for the Varsity game. The clock was used for wrestling or something the day before and they didn't change it back.

In my 30 years on this planet and probably over 1000 basketball games watches i've never seen anyone shoot FTs with 0:00 on the clock and the teams lined up in the lane after the horn or lights went off.[QUOTE]

Fixed that for ya! Keep on living, I'm sure you'll experience it & you'll be well prepared at that

Last edited by tref; Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 04:47pm.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
We actaully had the tenths fixed for the Varsity game. The clock was used for wrestling or something the day before and they didn't change it back.

In my 30 years on this planet and probably over 1000 basketball games watches i've never seen anyone shoot FTs with 0:00 on the clock and the teams lined up in the lane.
It happens; might even be a case play addressing it.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

It could be a case of where the scoreboard operator did not turn on the tenths of a second function as well.

Majority of the newer scoreboards have the tenth of a second function available, however not always does it automatically initiate when the board comes on.

Not always will the scoreboard control display show the tenth of a second either.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Clock displays can round up or round down. Those that round up show 0:01 until the time left reaches 0:00. Those that round down (truncate) show 0:00 as soon as it is any fraction under 0:01.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 06:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Man, Do I Feel Old ...

Quote:
In my 30 years on this planet and probably over 1000 basketball games watched I've never seen anyone shoot FTs with 0:00 on the clock and the teams lined up in the lane.
In my thirty years of officiating basketball on this planet, working thousands of games, I've had 0:00 with no horn in about a half dozen games. In all but two of these situations, I've asked the timer to make sure that the automatic horn is on, it isn't, and when he turns it on the horn sounds. On the two occasions when the automatic horn was on, we had ten kids on the court for the last "second".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 07:03pm.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 06:57pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:

I had that this past weekend...sort of.

I was in an older gym where we actually had a scoreboard on each wall behind the baskets (a luxury for the level I was working). One scoreboard even had team fouls!!!

Seriously, though, one scoreboard showed the tenths of a second, the other didn't. I had a shooting foul just before halftime. No horn. Coach looks up at the board and says to my partner...there's no way that can be there's 0:00 left on the clock! My partner said...Coach, look at the other board.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Oh yeah & the tenths generally show on the display at the table. I would verify how much time is truly left for catching & tapping purposes.
Can't do that. If the scoreboard doesn't show 1/10 seconds, then the "tap only" rule doesn't apply.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? So in your games with 1/10s showing, you've never had a FT with 0:00.x showing? It's (usually) the same thing.