The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to know the rulings for both Men’s college and NBA basketball:

1) Player A1 goes up for a shot and the defender B1 is in position prior to A1 going up for a shot (and outside the “under the basket circle” for the purpose of the NBA). Before the contact A1 shoots, he then contacts B1 and commits a foul on b1 and then the shot goes in, under traditional lore it would be a charge Does the shot count if released before contact was made? IF it does not count was this a recent change?

2) Player A1 shoots and hits nothing but the backboard (no rim) and A1 then catches it (without the ball hitting the ground or touched by anyone else) and then dribbles or shoots. Is this a loss of possession? I say it is, the people I play with say you can throw the ball off the backboard to yourself basically as a pass to shoot or dunk. I say no.

Can you reference sections of the rules that state the answers?
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kent
I would like to know the rulings for both Men?s college and NBA basketball:

1) Player A1 goes up for a shot and the defender B1 is in position prior to A1 going up for a shot (and outside the ?under the basket circle? for the purpose of the NBA). Before the contact A1 shoots, he then contacts B1 and commits a foul on b1 and then the shot goes in, under traditional lore it would be a charge Does the shot count if released before contact was made? IF it does not count was this a recent change?

Yes, for NCAA and NBA, the shot counts. No change. High School, the no basket.

2) Player A1 shoots and hits nothing but the backboard (no rim) and A1 then catches it (without the ball hitting the ground or touched by anyone else) and then dribbles or shoots. Is this a loss of possession? I say it is, the people I play with say you can throw the ball off the backboard to yourself basically as a pass to shoot or dunk. I say no.

Legal play. In all levels, once the ball hits the board, any player may retrieve the ball and may dribble again. This is also true for a shot that hits nothing in the NCAA and High School. For the NBA, it is traveling for the shooter to retrieve the ball if it has hit nothing (board, rim, another player).

Can you reference sections of the rules that state the answers?
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
1) Before the contact A1 shoots, he then contacts B1 and commits a foul on b1 and then the shot goes in, under traditional lore it would be a charge Does the shot count if released before contact was made?

In the NBA, the basket would not count. No points can be scored if an offensive foul is assessed. Rule 12 Section VII (1).

Quote:
2) Player A1 shoots and hits nothing but the backboard (no rim) and A1 then catches it.

Legal play.
[/QUOTE] [/B][/QUOTE]
NBA -- Rule 10 Section XIV (i).

Chuck
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
1) Before the contact A1 shoots, he then contacts B1 and commits a foul on b1 and then the shot goes in, under traditional lore it would be a charge Does the shot count if released before contact was made?

In the NBA, the basket would not count. No points can be scored if an offensive foul is assessed. Rule 12 Section VII (1).

Quote:
2) Player A1 shoots and hits nothing but the backboard (no rim) and A1 then catches it.

Legal play.
[/QUOTE]
NBA -- Rule 10 Section XIV (i).

Chuck [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the correction. Of all the US based rules, the NBA's are the one's I'm least familiar with.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. Of all the US based rules, the NBA's are the one's I'm least familiar with.
Me too, Camron. (I think that's true for almost everybody on the board!)
Old Thu May 22, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Question 2

Re: Player A1 shoots and hits nothing but the backboard (no rim) and A1 then catches it.

Didn't this use to be an illegal play? Either that or I am losing it! Maybe I am thinking on free throws it has to hit the rim? and that you cannot throw it off the backboard essentially to yourself when shooting a free throw?

And to clarify: Does it have to be a legitimate shot for it to be a legal play by the letter of the law. Or is it still legal if you "pass" it to yourself with an obvious lack of intent to shoot on the pass.

I need something to save face!

thanks
Old Thu May 22, 2003, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Question 2

Quote:
Re: Player A1 shoots and hits nothing but the backboard (no rim) and A1 then catches it.

Didn't this use to be an illegal play? Either that or I am losing it! Maybe I am thinking on free throws it has to hit the rim? and that you cannot throw it off the backboard essentially to yourself when shooting a free throw?
Not that I'm aware of. On FTs it must hit the rim (or go in) to be legal. Otherwise, it's a FT violation.

Quote:

And to clarify: Does it have to be a legitimate shot for it to be a legal play by the letter of the law. Or is it still legal if you "pass" it to yourself with an obvious lack of intent to shoot on the pass.
All it has to do is hit the board. No try necessary. The pure airball/rebound has to be a try to not be a travel.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 06:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:

1) Player A1 goes up for a shot and the defender B1 is in position prior to A1 going up for a shot (and outside the ?under the basket circle? for the purpose of the NBA). Before the contact A1 shoots, he then contacts B1 and commits a foul on b1 and then the shot goes in, under traditional lore it would be a charge Does the shot count if released before contact was made? IF it does not count was this a recent change?

Cameron, you are only half correct concerning NCAA rules. NCAA Men's is the same as NBA/WNBA and NCAA Women's is the same as NFHS.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Hmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Quote:
Player A1 goes up for a shot and (1) the defender B1 is in position prior to A1 going up for a shot (and outside the ?under the basket circle? for the purpose of the NBA). (2) Before the contact A1 shoots, (3) he then contacts B1 and commits a foul on b1 and then (4) the shot goes in,
Cameron, you are only half correct concerning NCAA rules. NCAA Men's is the same as NBA/WNBA and NCAA Women's is the same as NFHS. [/B]
Mark, look at the play again. . .
(1) Legal defense position by B1 before shooter A1 goes airborne;
(2) Shot is released by A1;
(3) A1 charges into B1;
(4) Ball enters basket.

In NCAA men's, you would score the basket and shoot 1-and-1 at the other end if Team B is in the bonus. There is neither player nor team control once the try is released.

As I pointed out above, however, in the NBA no points can be scored when an offensive foul is assessed.

I think you may want to revise your reply to Camron.

Chuck
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Hmmmmmm

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Player A1 goes up for a shot and (1) the defender B1 is in position prior to A1 going up for a shot (and outside the ?under the basket circle? for the purpose of the NBA). (2) Before the contact A1 shoots, (3) he then contacts B1 and commits a foul on b1 and then (4) the shot goes in,
Cameron, you are only half correct concerning NCAA rules. NCAA Men's is the same as NBA/WNBA and NCAA Women's is the same as NFHS.
Mark, look at the play again. . .
(1) Legal defense position by B1 before shooter A1 goes airborne;
(2) Shot is released by A1;
(3) A1 charges into B1;
(4) Ball enters basket.

In NCAA men's, you would score the basket and shoot 1-and-1 at the other end if Team B is in the bonus. There is neither player nor team control once the try is released.

As I pointed out above, however, in the NBA no points can be scored when an offensive foul is assessed.

I think you may want to revise your reply to Camron.

Chuck [/B]
I think Mark's point might be that NCAAW and NFHS both include the airborne shooter for PC fouls, which is different from NCAAM. I really have no idea how the nba/wnba handles it.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Hmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
I think Mark's point might be that NCAAW and NFHS both include the airborne shooter for PC fouls, which is different from NCAAM.

That is probably true. I focused on the underlined statement. The NCAA men's ruling is not the same as the NBA. I didn't want somebody to think that all charges are now team control fouls in NCAA.

Quote:
I really have no idea how the nba/wnba handles it.

Yes you do. I just told you how the NBA handles it
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Hmmmmmm

Quote:

Quote:
I really have no idea how the nba/wnba handles it.

Yes you do. I just told you how the NBA handles it
"lah lah lah lah I can't hear you I can't hear you"

no I don't.

Old Fri May 23, 2003, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No. I was completely correct. The question was "I would like to know the rulings for both Men's college and NBA basketball".

As far as I know, no men play under NCAA Womens's rules.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Let's summarize!

NBA - no basket

WNBA - no basket

NCAA Mens - count the basket

NCAA Womens - no basket

NFHS - no basket