The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 09:42pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
It is very difficult to tell if one foot is on the floor when the dribble ends.

This is a huge deal. Forget about jump stops. If we could absolutely tell when the dribble ended, probably 75% of layups could be called a travel. And this cycle continues to spin. The more that is given, the more the players take, and the more that is not called at higher levels, the more it is expected (by some) to trickle down.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Wed Mar 21, 2012 at 11:24pm.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 10:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

Hence why it is a good idea to not guess. Let's shoot the big fish and leave the guppies alone.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Vive La France ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
It's "LeBron" rather than LaBron.
It's been forty years since I took high school French. I believe that the noun, "Bron", takes the masculine article, "Le", rather than the feminine article, "La".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This is a huge deal. Forget about jump stops. If we could absolutely tell when the dribble ended, probably 75% of layups could be called a travel. And this cycle continues to spin. The more that is given, the more the players take, and the more that is not called at higher levels, the more it is expected (by some) to trickle down.
Absolutely, The skills that players do in games have changed over the years from the crossover, Euro step, use of jump stop, step back jumper, or use of hesitation move. Players are being drilled on these moves all the time(just go to a skills camp) and they watch NBA or D1 players do them.

A really skilled player will push the rules to the limit and test the referees abilities. I think its great and most moves are in the within the rules. Lets face it the fans love to watch skilled players whether it is a step back jumper like by Kemba Walker , cross over by Steve Nash, or Euro step by Dwayne Wade.

In my opinion, I think NCAA Div. I or NBA officials embrace these skilled moves and understand them to the core and do not fight against them.
Just like this move in the video, he did not land simultaneously( but do they ever land absolutely simultaneously think about it? Did he gather with one foot on floor?

Now some things need to be cleaned up, like the Rivers kid from Duke shuffling his feet
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopmaster24 View Post
That is not considered a travel for most basketball leagues in most places
And why not?

I agree, but only because it's hard to tell when he gathers. It's close enough that your statement here is less than true.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopmaster24 View Post
That is not considered a travel for most basketball leagues in most places
By rule it is most definitely a travel. The problem is determining that he gathered with his foot on the ground which is often difficult to do at real speed.