The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Does RPP apply?

NFHS rules. After the ball goes out of bounds under Team A's basket (Team A's ball), the inbounder from Team A delays going to get the ball from the ref until his team is set up for their inbounds play. Can he legally do this? It's not after a timeout or the beginning of a quarter, so I don't think the resumption of play procedure applies. If not, is a delay-of-game warning supported by the rules?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Does RPP apply?

4-4-7
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:13pm
M.A.S.H.

It applies.

4-38

The RPP is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play when a throw-in team does not make a thrower available or following a time-out or intermission ...
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:14pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
NFHS rules. After the ball goes out of bounds under Team A's basket (Team A's ball), the inbounder from Team A delays going to get the ball from the ref until his team is set up for their inbounds play. Can he legally do this? It's not after a timeout or the beginning of a quarter, so I don't think the resumption of play procedure applies. If not, is a delay-of-game warning supported by the rules?
RoPP does apply here. It's for when the throwing team doesn't make a thrower available OR following a time out or intermission.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Bugs the crap out of me when the thrower stands inbounds while setting up his teammates just so I can't hand him the ball. I tell him one time - "step out", and then if he doesn't, or he does it again the next time we have a throw-in, I put the ball on the floor behind him and start counting.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
RoPP does apply here. It's for when the throwing team doesn't make a thrower available OR following a time out or intermission.
Yep -- I think this is a relatively recent change.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

What's our hurry here? If the offense is just setting up a play, I don't have any issue (heck, I'm not handing the ball to the thrower until the defense has had a chance to set up anyway). Now if they're over at the bench trying to turn it into a de facto time out, put the ball down, but if it's normal dead ball activity, I don't see the problem.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 01:00pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
What's our hurry here? If the offense is just setting up a play, I don't have any issue (heck, I'm not handing the ball to the thrower until the defense has had a chance to set up anyway). Now if they're over at the bench trying to turn it into a de facto time out, put the ball down, but if it's normal dead ball activity, I don't see the problem.
No "hurry," per se -- just the difference between "reasonable" amount of time and an unreasonable or inordinate amount of time to make a thrower available.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 05:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I never rush the ball, but I'm not going to stand there and wait for A1 to decipher her coach's signals either. If they don't reach for it, I'm handing it. I've never had them refuse, but I'd be more than willing to put it down if they stand in bounds directing traffic.