The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Discussed in an association meeting last night...

Just an example to remind me how hard inexperienced officials have it and also how important it is to have a good foundation in the rules.

JV game. Home team down 2 points. Shot goes up, covering official marks it as a 3-point attempt, successful at the horn. Everyone except the visiting team happy, right?

Until the other official comes out and insists that there was a foot on the line. The officials talk and they decide to count the bucket as a 2.

Tie game. Overtime, right?

Then the home coach goes nuts and gets himself whacked.

Then it all falls apart. Neither official knows for certain how to administer this situation. One official runs off the court to find a book and/or the varsity officials (who are getting ready) to help.

Somehow, they still get it wrong. They shoot FTs, the team hits one, and they call the game.

By the end of this, I was wincing. The lesson here? I frequently joke that you really don't need to know a lot of rules compared with other sports I work (football, baseball), but that's not really true. It's just that once an official gets a good foundation in the rules that it isn't really hard to keep up since rules rarely change (in such a way to make things really difficult for us).

I also heard last night that a JV Boys coach got ejected last week and I've personally had two head coach technicals (one from me, one from a partner) in the last two games. The season's heating up it seems.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Just curious

Was that the end of story?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I've also been thinking this season has been more heated than usual. My patience for coaches is running out.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:55am
Archaic Power Monger

I'm guessing he wasn't even there. I'm not saying a word about behavior, I'll probably jinx myself though I did toss a fan on Monday.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Rich, can you help newbies here with how the situation should have been handled?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

I wince every time a veteran official tells me that "I just go officiate. I don't need to be a 'rule book' referee". These are the same guys who refuse to enforce the rules as written. (Won't call a T for a pregame dunk, won't call a T for touching the ball OOB when in possession of the thrower, won't give DOG warnings, etc) I think this is usually a "path of least resistance" thing and they don't want to rock the boat and get coaches upset with them. Might hurt that rating.

Last edited by zm1283; Thu Jan 12, 2012 at 12:04pm.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Rich, can you help newbies here with how the situation should have been handled?
Since the shot was counted as two points, the game is tied at the end of regulation, so you will be playing OT.

OT starts with two FTs for the visitors with the lane cleared, followed by a division line throw in. Home gets the AP arrow.

Sorry Rich.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:07pm
TODO: creative title here

Relative newbie (3rd season) here.... let me know if I screwed up anywhere.

The 2-point vs 3-point should've been the call of the official who is in the primary.... so if the primary official signaled 3, it should've been 3. However, we're always told to "get the call right" so if the other official is 110% sure the foot was on the line, I'm ok with calling it a 2-point try.

At this point, tie game, 4th quarter is over, and any action thereafter happens in overtime.

Coach technical, therefore, occurs at the start of overtime. 2 shots for the other team with the lane cleared, throw-in at mid-court, arrow pointing to team whose coach got whacked.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Might get coaches upset?

Isn't there a coach on the "other end" of each of these calls or non-calls?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
What's your point? And what does this have to do with the point Rich was trying to make with this thread?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I assume you're talking about my post?

Yes, you're right, but I often get the feeling that they either don't know the rules, or they "understand" because they wouldn't want such nit-picky things called on their team either. That or they don't see the infraction in question in the first place. (Like a dunk during warmups)
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
What's your point? And what does this have to do with the point Rich was trying to make with this thread?
I think he was replying to me, but didn't quote me. I tied my little rant into Rich talking about officials having a good foundation of rules knowledge.

I sort of got it mixed up. The officials I'm talking about in part of my post do know the rules, they just refuse to enforce some of them. Then there are guys, veterans included, that just don't know the rules. I'm not sure which is worse.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

The 2-point vs 3-point should've been the call of the official who is in the primary.... so if the primary official signaled 3, it should've been 3. However, we're always told to "get the call right" so if the other official is 110% sure the foot was on the line, I'm ok with calling it a 2-point try.
I would add: (a) partner should be watching the release of the shot, to have an opinion about whether it beat the horn; focusing on the foot is the wrong place. (b) partner should be 100% sure that the foot was WAY over the line; a toenail is not enough to "fix" this.
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Since the shot was counted as two points, the game is tied at the end of regulation, so you will be playing OT.

OT starts with two FTs for the visitors with the lane cleared, followed by a division line throw in. Home gets the AP arrow.

Sorry Rich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

At this point, tie game, 4th quarter is over, and any action thereafter happens in overtime.

Coach technical, therefore, occurs at the start of overtime. 2 shots for the other team with the lane cleared, throw-in at mid-court, arrow pointing to team whose coach got whacked.
Yes.... and (getting real "technical" here)?
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I was responding to above, but yeah, it had nothing to do with the OP.