The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

I was approached by the president of our college baseball umpiring association asking me to give a presentation at our next meeting. He asked me to cover the CCA 2-man mechanics and told me that I have a maximum of 45 minutes to speak at this meeting. I'm not going to bore all of those in attendance with a 45 minute lecture on basic mechanics, I'm just going to cover some things that I've seen done incorrectly on many occasions in the past few years. That will take about 15 minutes. Here's where I need your input.

What topic would you like to see covered at your college association meeting? So far, we've covered 2006 rules changes and NCAA/NAIA rules differences. What would be another interesting and useful topic that you would recommend? What are some suggestions of topics I could discuss? I want to make this the meeting that fellow umpires will remember the rest of the year. Let me hear what ya' got. Thanks!
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeye12
I was approached by the president of our college baseball umpiring association asking me to give a presentation at our next meeting. He asked me to cover the CCA 2-man mechanics and told me that I have a maximum of 45 minutes to speak at this meeting. I'm not going to bore all of those in attendance with a 45 minute lecture on basic mechanics, I'm just going to cover some things that I've seen done incorrectly on many occasions in the past few years. That will take about 15 minutes. Here's where I need your input.

What topic would you like to see covered at your college association meeting? So far, we've covered 2006 rules changes and NCAA/NAIA rules differences. What would be another interesting and useful topic that you would recommend? What are some suggestions of topics I could discuss? I want to make this the meeting that fellow umpires will remember the rest of the year. Let me hear what ya' got. Thanks!
Your association president asked you to speak for a maximum of 45 minutes on CCA 2-man mechanics. If I were him I would be pissed if you did anything other than speak for a maximum of 45 minutes on CCA 2-man mechanics. And I would not speak for 15 minutes and call it good to go. Some of the 2-man mechanics are more than just basic and you can surely fill up 45 minutes with interesting situations, after you spend 15 minutes on the basics.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeye12

ive obviously never given a talk at a conference, but i think it would be best to just cover the mechanics you were asked to cover, so that you dont cover something that someone else wanted to mention. also, i dont really go to clinics/meetings looking for an unforgettable emmy winning performance, i just go to learn.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

I assume (yeah, I know) that most of the umpires also do FED ball. So, you could cover the "seven differences" and discuss which will be used in your area (or stress that the NCAA mechanics will be used). With R3 only, should U1 be in B or C? Does it change if two are out? Discuss other situations where the NCAA mechanic is "controversial"

Talk about the definition of "trouble ball"

If U1 isn't sure, is it better (in your group) to go out or to pivot in?

If U1 gets pushed into foul territory by F4, and the thrown ball gets past F3, which umpire takes the ball and which takes the runner? Similar discussion if PU goes up to third and the ball gets past F5.

How (and when) will you ask for help? How (and when) will you provide it without being asked?

What's the role of the non-arguing umpire during a discussion with the manager? When should he come in to help?

What's your association's philosophy on asking for help on a checked swing with U1 in the middle? With U1 in A and a lefty at bat?

With a rundown between third and home, when does U1 get involved and when does he stay back to watch other runner(s)? (Always get involved, stay out until runners have advanced to second, stay out until runner has advanced to third, never get involved if there's another runner)

Unless you're dictating the answer to each of these, then I think you can fill 45 minutes.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

And the,

Seven Differences between CCA and FED Mechanics with a two man crew:

1- Bases Empty

Outfield coverage:

a) NFHS -- UIC has left field and centerfield turning away from field.

b) CCA -- UIC only has left field: U1 has center and right fields.

Infield coverage:

c) NFHS -- UIC has all fly balls to the left side of the infield.

d) CCA -- UIC has third base, shortstop going left, back or in: second baseman left or in: first baseman left and in and pitcher left. U1 has shortstop right: second baseman right and back and first baseman right and back.

Clean hit to the outfield, extra bases:

e) NFHS -- U1 has batter/runner to second: UIC has runner at third.

f) CCA -- U1 has batter/runner to third.

2- Runner at first:

Plays within the Infield:

g) NFHS -- UIC has plays at third base on the second play within the infield.

h) CCA -- U1 has second play at third.

3- Runners at first and second:

Plays within the infield:

i) NFHS -- UIC has call at third if first play is at first or second

j) CCA -- U1 has second p[lay at third/

4- Runner at second:

Fly balls:

k) NFHS -- On fly balls to left or center, UIC moves to third for any subsequent play at third and U1 moves to take any subsquent play at home.

l) CCA -- U1 lines up catch and tag-up of runner and has play at third: UIC stays home.

5- Runners at second and third:

Clean Base Hit:

m) NFHS -- UIC moves up the third baseline, watches R1 touch home (over the shoulder glance) then get into position to move to third base for the call or return to home.

n) CCA -- UIC has all plays at home: U1 has all plays on the bases.

* Thom Coste has pointed out to me that with R1 and R3 that CCA has U1 starting in "B" and NFHS has him starting in "C".

=====================================

UIC = Plate Umpire
U1 = Base Umpire.

Ooops, edited because of omission pointed out by Mr. Jenkins.

Thom, I used the CCA terminology rather than shift back and forth. And thanks for the "crew man crew" . . . and I have also used the CCA reference numbers for base runners rather than the ones used by NFHS.

LMAO.

My Bad.

Tee

[Edited by Tim C on Jan 25th, 2006 at 07:09 PM]
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Am I missing something? I only see 6 differences.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that the plate umpire is U1 in FED jargon, the base umpire U2. That would be a difference.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: And the,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Seven Differences between CCA and FED Mechanics with a crew man crew:

[snip]

UIC = Plate Umpire
U1 = Base Umpire.

Ooops, edited because of omission pointed out by Mr. Jenkins.

Thom, I used the CCA terminology rather than shift back and forth.

My Bad.

Tee

[Edited by Tim C on Jan 25th, 2006 at 02:10 PM]
That explains the "crew man crew" !! JK
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

As someone who has given many presentations, I should caution you that 45 minutes can shoot by before you're through with the first topic on your agenda.

And attendees can spend an evening exchanging opinions about arcane matters.

Facilitating a meeting is not easy.

Good luck!