The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2010, 05:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Rec league ref meeting last night

We had the first ref meeting last night for our local kids rec league. It looks like we'll have about 10 new HS kids who will work 3rd and 4th grade games (with a senior official on the court with them). Training for these kids begins next week. We'll have a total of almost 40 officials working this league, some of them with over 20 years experience. Last night we went over rules, especially the modified ones for this kids league at the different grade levels. I put together a "rules matrix" which is a spreadsheet showing the differences in the rules at the different grade levels, from 3rd through HS. It makes it much easier for those of us who move from grade level to grade level during the same day.

Right now, registration numbers indicate we'll have almost 1000 kids in the league this season on about 120 teams. We're expecting more HS kids to register right after the HS holds it's tryouts next week. Kids who don't make the HS team usually then join our league.

Oh yeah, I made sure all the newbies were taught the first rule of officiating.