The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 10:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If I have a "weak/shouldn't be there/only for the $$$/warm body/etc" partner I'm only extending to get assault/batteries and only conversing if I think a rule is being misapplied or an "on the floor" should be changed to a shooting foul. Otherwise both coaches are going to have to live with the missed travels, missed handchecks, phantom "over the back" and "reaching" fouls, and confusing mechanics. Then they can call the assignor and submit the appropriate report.

If the assignor is willing to put that official in that game then the assignor can answer all the complaints. Or maybe the assignor is thinking the game is getting the quality of official it deserves.
I get that. A ball-watcher is going to lead to an assault-and-battery though, especially in higher level games. I'm not going to call the whole floor, but I know I'm going to have to extend my look in those situations.

Travels? Garden variety fouls? I'm with you. If I try to work the whole game, I'll be just as bad as my partner. Well, maybe not.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I was referring to your denigration of high school camps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
For what it's worth, one of the most highly regarded camps in this area is high school oriented I don't know if that necessarily speaks to the quality of the ball here but you are a nobody in the chapter until you've gone to one of these camps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Yeah, we have those too
And once is suffice... no video, no can do! If they choose not to use me, trust, someone else will.
Thats what I was referring to.
Unless its a tryout situation, I dont attend any college camps without video.
On a scale from 1-10 the teaching provided by clinicians coming onto the court at t/o & halftime saying this & that is a 4, maybe. Going in to review the film after the game, now thats where the real learning takes place. I mean we are supposed to be going to camp to learn & improve, right. So I invest my hard earned money where I get the bang for my buck.

Last edited by tref; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 10:49am.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess it could be "ridiculous" depending on the level one currently works & the quality of camps they attend. Many officials who dont camp anymore or just attend local HS camps (giving out last decades information) have this thought process.
Quote:
Come on Snaqs, the largest part of my schedule is HS games. Lets not go there.
You opened that door. And I got the same message from it as Snaqs did.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 11:23am
Archaic Power Monger

Make no mistake, this camp is not one of those run of the mill camps that is put on by some regional assigner to work his games. It is run by one of the mostly highly regarded clinicians in Texas.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Make no mistake, this camp is not one of those run of the mill camps that is put on by some regional assigner to work his games. It is run by one of the mostly highly regarded clinicians in Texas.
I've heard it was a great camp but they arent giving out old information either.
Sometimes we paraphrase to make statements mean what we want them to mean.
HS camps in general are not a bad thing, HS camps that arent current is another story...
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess it could be "ridiculous" depending on the level one currently works & the quality of camps they attend. Many officials who dont camp anymore or just attend local HS camps (giving out last decades information) have this thought process.
You do realized that, for the most part, those upper level camps are largely just distributing last decade's information in a new package.

It is the people that are not going to camps that are really the ones that are probably missing out.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 11:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Depends on where the shot was taken from. (where's mr. grammar guy?)

If it was near the FT line extended on L's side, both would have a look.
A/ Walking Buster
B/ Doing the crossword
C/ Getting ice cream and headed upstairs