The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

How would you handle it

Called a double dribble on kid. Coach didn't like the call because he thought defender touched the ball and wanted me to ask my partner what he saw. I didn't ask him. During a timeout I asked my partner and he said defender may have touched it but wasn't 100% sure. For the record stuck with my original call.

Do you only confer with partner on who may have touched ball before OB and whether foul or violation occurred first?

Would anybody handle this differently?

Last edited by cmhjordan23; Wed Jan 11, 2012 at 12:08am.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:10am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
Called a double dribble on kid. Coach didn't like the call because he thought defender touched the ball and wanted me to ask my partner what he saw. I didn't ask him. During a timeout I asked my partner and he said defender may have touched it but wasn't 100% sure. For the record stuck with my original call.

Do you only confer with partner on who may have touched ball before OB and whether foul or violation occurred first?

Would anybody handle this differently?
I think you did just fine. If you confer with your partner on that call, pretty soon they'll be asking us to get together with our partners for every call. The coach is begging, IMO.

I'm guessing, had you conferred, his information wouldn't have changed your call anyway.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

"Coach, that was my call all the way and I'm confident in what I called."

I'm not even entertaining the coach's suggestion to ask my partner on the court about a call that I made. He's trying to play you like a violin. Do not even go there with him. Even for a second.

In the locker room is the appropriate place for the question to your partner on what they may have seen.

ETA- In my pre-games we talk about coming to help on OOB plays ONLY when we have definite knowledge. And yes, if one of us has a hand and one of us has a fist we will concur to see which happened first. But we are not conferring on calls at the suggestion of a coach. That's a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by VaTerp; Wed Jan 11, 2012 at 12:19am.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:15am
Do not give a damn!!

The dribble would not end unless the touching makes the player lose control of the ball. So even if you had a touch, if you did not believe the ball was lost it would not matter by rule. That is a judgment call all the way, but I would not go to a partner about that kind of call, just like I would not go to them to identify a pivot foot after I made a travel call.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:25am
Back from the DL

I have a standard rule with all of my partners, that if he sees something completely different than what I see, please come talk to me about it.

That said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would not go to a partner about that kind of call, just like I would not go to them to identify a pivot foot after I made a travel call.
I agree. I can't imagine a scenario where I would approach a partner with this one. The coach in the OP was playing a three of clubs.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 07:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Point ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The dribble would not end unless the touching makes the player lose control of the ball. So even if you had a touch, if you did not believe the ball was lost it would not matter by rule.
A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended,
unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 A try for field goal.
ART. 2 A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by,
another player
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 11, 2012 at 07:23am.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

For violations (including OOB), I will say something to my partner who called it only if I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the call is incorrect.

If a coach asks me to "fix" a call that I think "might" be wrong: "Coach, that was his call and he had a great look at it." We might talk about it later if it's important somehow.