The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

How to handle

Had a very sloppy boys Turkey tourney game a few nights ago. Needed CHSeagle on table for this one.

C right near table about to inbound when table informs him that a player that just entered is not in book. He then nods to me as R and new lead to come over and we briefly ( two seconds) meet as he tells me what happened, I nod and he gives appropriate T and away we go.

A fellow ref in stands tell other partner we did it wrong and should have huddled as a crew to discuss and I call technical.

I see no need for this as there is no discussion needed, nor do we need a lengthy delay, plus taking our eyes away from players on floor.

What say you?
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 12:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Might be some local thing, but the R doesn't have to be the one to call this. That's ridiculous.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 12:43pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Might be some local thing, but the R doesn't have to be the one to call this.
Agreed.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Had a very sloppy boys Turkey tourney game a few nights ago. Needed CHSeagle on table for this one.

C right near table about to inbound when table informs him that a player that just entered is not in book. He then nods to me as R and new lead to come over and we briefly ( two seconds) meet as he tells me what happened, I nod and he gives appropriate T and away we go.

A fellow ref in stands tell other partner we did it wrong and should have huddled as a crew to discuss and I call technical.

I see no need for this as there is no discussion needed, nor do we need a lengthy delay, plus taking our eyes away from players on floor.

What say you?
Why is the 'C' in bounding the ball? The C never in bounds the ball.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What say you?
The table crew wasn't that bad, if this was the only incident.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Why is the 'C' in bounding the ball? The C never in bounds the ball.

Ha Ha !!!! good catch! He was trail.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
The table crew wasn't that bad, if this was the only incident.
You guys always stick together!!!!
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think you need to inform your partners what just took place so there is not confusion. Not sure why people think that would be a local thing, that is a all level thing from my experience. Nods sound like someone might assume something that did not take place or that someone thinks the T was not the correct T by rule. You want to make sure all the officials are aware of what the T was and who is shooting. Someone might want to explain something to the coach (if need be) while the other officials get the right shooter and make sure the ball is put to the right end of the court. It might take 2 seconds, but this is something you do not want to just assume everyone knows what happened.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You guys always stick together!!!!
Actually I try to train whenever possible so no incidents happen.

The other night during a Boys' JH game, the visiting coach was wanting to know how many timeouts he had left, & (even though I was timer/scoreboard) I was able to give him his requested information faster than the scorer could.

Even thinking of starting to have a family member be with me/near me that keeps track of the player fouls so I know exactly when a player reaches 5 before the scorer can notify.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 03:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cross All The T's And Dot All The I's ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think you need to inform your partners what just took place so there is not confusion. Not sure why people think that would be a local thing, that is an all level thing from my experience.
Agree. This is not a time to screw up by rushing anything.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

However, getting together as a crew and the R handling the T is not necessary.

And it must be local because we are taught and pregame that for any technical, you get together with the closest partner to sort anything out while the third keeps an eye on the players.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 06:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Everything that someone suggests is not what an entire area does.

Sometimes people suggest things where they feel it is the best way to handle it or based on what they were taught, which is not always local.

I have no idea what this person in the stands was wanting as I was not there and was not involved in the conversation. But I do feel all officials at some point need to have a conversation if one person assumes the wrong thing you can screw it up easily.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 08:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Getting together is the right thing. But they did that (read what happened after the nod). My point is there was no need to have the R call the T, unless that's how the local area wants it done for some reason. I doubt that's the case, but mentioned it because the OP would be well served to ask local leadership rather than take the word of a bunch of strangers on the internet.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 09:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Getting together is the right thing. But they did that (read what happened after the nod). My point is there was no need to have the R call the T, unless that's how the local area wants it done for some reason. I doubt that's the case, but mentioned it because the OP would be well served to ask local leadership rather than take the word of a bunch of strangers on the internet.
I live in the area fullor30 lives in. I probably work for some of the same people or once worked for some of the same people, I certainly know all of them at the high school level. Not sure what leadership you are referring to? I am a President of an organization and I would not consider this to be a standard and we do not have the power to enforce such a standard. And I have never heard of a single assignor make a request that only the R could call a T in this situation. I would think the R would want to be involved considering they are the one that checked the book. I would likely call the R over to sort out the problem, but that is a common sense expectation, not a "leadership" issue. If anything the assignor might dictate that kind of rule, but I have never heard of one.

We do not work for an association like others on this discussion board. Our assignments come from individual conference assignors. Like they do in college a particular league wants something done by his/her staff, that supervisor (one person) controls that expectation, not any suspected leadership. I am also a state clinician (meaning I am a person that runs clinics and clarify questions of mechanics and state procedures) and I would not expect anyone to have the R do such a thing either. Actually I did not read this as the R was the person that had to give the T. But if that is what the person felt then consider the source just like any advice.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 10:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I was only allowing for the possibility, forgetting that fullor is from your area.