The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
Not her in this instance. Would she do that? Absolutely. This person was not known to me.
I think Freddy was indicating that this would be a "good" line to say to the coach (i.e., implying that the fan was the coach's wife).
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
Not her in this instance. Would she do that? Absolutely. This person was not known to me.
Really? Your wife would yell at the coach in the game you are officiating?

LOL...I tell my wife (the few times she goes) to ignore all the screamers. Although, just last week her friend went with her...and she told me her friend yelled at a fan that was yelling at us.

The fan shut his mouth.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 04:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post

LOL...I tell my wife (the few times she goes) to ignore all the screamers. Although, just last week her friend went with her...and she told me her friend yelled at a fan that was yelling at us.

The fan shut his mouth.
You're the man. I can't get my own wife to come see any of my games, let alone her friends.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 04:53pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You're the man. I can't get my own wife to come see any of my games, let alone her friends.
I'm pretty lucky in that my wife loves going to both my basketball and football games. She hides from the fans though because they drive her nuts too.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 04:57pm
Esteemed Participant

Saw a different take on this last night. V Girls game...home team fan is going off on officials about one thing after another. Small crowd, so he is heard by everyone in the gym. About the 4th time he starts hollering, the home Coach jumps up and turns to the stands and tells the guy to either knock it off or pack up and leave. Guy sputters for a few seconds, and then the home point guard says 'Dad, just leave. Please? You are embarrassing us."

Guy got up and left the gym. Rest of the home fans started clapping and cheering for the point guard.

Made me feel all warm inside!
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post

The fan shut his mouth.
My wife will go to my games and sit and watch. Since she'll never react to any of the plays someone will ask who her son or daughter is and she'll say it's the umpire/referee and they usually stop any comments or anything.

Baseball game last year when one team was in red the other in white someone asked her who her son was, she said oh, #18 in blue. Took the fan a moment to figure it out and then they said oh, never mind and got up and left.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 09:21am
TODO: creative title here

My girlfriend has been to a couple of my basketball games so far this year. She also went to one of my football games.

At the football game, she ended up sitting in the same area as most of the home team's parents. Eventually, they asked her which player out there was her son. Her response: "My son isn't out there... my boyfriend is." I'm told there were a few odd looks before she clarified that I was the one wearing the stripes.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 05:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Scary Moment ...

Way back, when I was a subvarsity official, and when I was married, my wife used to go with me to Saturday night games, and we would go out to dinner after the game.

One night, while working the junior varsity game, I look up into the crowd to see her sitting with one of the varsity coaches. This is the same coach, who the previous week, had coached his junior varsity team, in a game that I had worked, due to the illness of his junior varsity coach. This is one of the real "old school" coaches, coaching soccer, basketball, and baseball, at his school, being very successful, like state championship successful, in all three sports, and was very experienced at "working" officials. This was back when we had the "seatbelt rule", and I had to sternly remind him several times to take his seat, something that he wasn't used to from some of our more timid varsity officials.

All throughout the game, I was worried about what my wife might say to this coach, because I had already told her that one of the varsity coaches at the site was a "real piece of work". In any case, after my game I asked her about what she and "Coach" were discussing. She told me that the coach had been very complimentary of my work, that it took a lot of guts to "sit him down" in my game the previous week, and that he was looking forward to me moving up to the varsity list and to have me work his varsity games.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 05:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Time to Count Sheep Again . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
She told me that the coach had been very complimentary of my work, that it took a lot of guts to "sit him down" in my game the previous week, and that he was looking forward to me moving up to the varsity list and to have me work his varsity games.
And then BillyMac woke up, the smile on his pillow-creased face fading with the newly rising dawn of the day. It was time to make the coffee and get to work.

Next dream installment: "The cheerleaders keep gawking at me even to this day . . ."
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is one of the real "old school" coaches...and was very experienced at "working" officials.

She told me that the coach had been very complimentary of my work, that it took a lot of guts to "sit him down" in my game the previous week, and that he was looking forward to me moving up to the varsity list and to have me work his varsity games.
He was working you through your wife before you even got his games.

He was clearly very good at working officials to start that early.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Single, Hot, Not A Mom ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
And then BillyMac woke up, the smile on his pillow-creased face fading with the newly rising dawn of the day. It was time to make the coffee and get to work.
You're right. I made this up. What really happened is that he tried to hit on my wife, I climbed up into the bleachers, and beat the bejesus out of him. Yeah. That's right. That's what really happened.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)