The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 01:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker

At the end of my first year reffing, one set of women's D1 games was played here in Portland (Oregon). I went, of course, and loved every minute of it. By chance I bumped into a couple of women refs from our association who had a lot of experience, and got to ask several questions.

In the program, was a biography and interview of/with Melissa Barlow. The headline was "You've got to love it when they boo..." and in the article, she talked about her first all-crowd boo, and how it affected her and her thoughts.

Since then, I've had one or two all-crowd boos, but I haven't always handled them very well. They've cut into my self-confidence and made me question myself.

But tonight I had not one, but three! And none of them left me even remotely frazzled. I knew I was absolutely right on all three, and that the crowd was simply being ill-informed fans.

It felt great to (a) get the boo, and (b) love it!!

Now, can I be the back up for Melissa Barlow?!?!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 02:03am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,674
I had a game a couple of years ago, where the entire crowd was on one side of the gym. No seats on the other side of the court and the seats on the one side are about 3 times the height of a normal gym. The place was full and it was about 95% for the home team.

Stud player for the home team goes to the basket, defender jumps straight up and A1 clears him out with the off arm.

Whistle, no shot, PC foul and about 2,500 students start a, "You suck," chant.

Timeout for the home team, and the AD starts right for the student section, and jumps on them.

My partner and I had a really good laugh about it after the game.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,673
Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I just ignore the crowd, especially if I know the call was correct. I notice at my game last night, the coach was actually reading the rule book during the JV game.
__________________
Score the Basket!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 572
I was watching a BV game last night, and home team A1 (in front court)passes the ball to teammate A2, who leaps from the backcourt, catches the ball in mid air, and lands in the front court. The T, right on the division line, calls the backcourt violation. THE PLACE GOES NUTS!!!! Booing, etc. It got me to wondering what happens when the referees really blow a call.

Last year, someone in our chapter sent out a little memo, saying that if the crowd is reacting, it means you probably got the call wrong. At first, I kind of considered that true, but the more I see of fans' misunderstanding, or complete lack of knowledge of the rules, maybe I'd go to 25%.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 78
Wink

I rarely hear the crowd and I don't understand how you can do your job properly if you do. If the gym is packed I usually only hear a din. Although for some reason a couple of nights ago, during a MS game, I did hear a couple of young boys yelling, " The clock isn't running!", sure enough it wasn't, so I guess rabbit ears do have their place!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I just ignore the crowd, especially if I know the call was correct. I notice at my game last night, the coach was actually reading the rule book during the JV game.
Stop it
__________________
Do you ever feel like your stuff strutted off without you?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Last year, someone in our chapter sent out a little memo, saying that if the crowd is reacting, it means you probably got the call wrong. At first, I kind of considered that true, but the more I see of fans' misunderstanding, or complete lack of knowledge of the rules, maybe I'd go to 25%.
I'd say you're correct. Whoever sent out that memo needs to sit back and watch a few games. Around here, there is a crowd reaction on nearly every close call. Add to that crowd reactions from misunderstanding the rules, and by the logic in the memo, officials in this area are wrong over half the time.

Officials just don't miss as many calls as the fans indicate.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,674
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
I was watching a BV game last night, and home team A1 (in front court)passes the ball to teammate A2, who leaps from the backcourt, catches the ball in mid air, and lands in the front court. The T, right on the division line, calls the backcourt violation. THE PLACE GOES NUTS!!!! Booing, etc. It got me to wondering what happens when the referees really blow a call.

Last year, someone in our chapter sent out a little memo, saying that if the crowd is reacting, it means you probably got the call wrong. At first, I kind of considered that true, but the more I see of fans' misunderstanding, or complete lack of knowledge of the rules, maybe I'd go to 25%.
Whoever sent that memo, must have never worked a game.

Any close call against their team, any strange looking play no-called, any play involving the BB myths, sprinkle in the calls they admit to but say, "Hey ref call it both ways," and I'd say it's less than 5%.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
It got me to wondering what happens when the referees really blow a call.
\.

Nothing happens.
__________________
I know God would never give me more than I could handle, I just wish he wouldn't trust me so much.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,910
Fans are clueless and they are only watching their team and usually the ball. Whoever sent that memo out is ignorant. I love the all-crowd boo. It gets my blood pumping.

Z
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 47
The all-crowd boo and how you handle it is just like being dealt pocket aces.
How you handle it, from body language to your next move, is what makes or breaks a good official?

Nobody works as a bb referee that doesn't love the game as much as the fans love their team that plays the same game. When the fans boo, you have to recognize that they have the same passion for the game as you do. You're just seeing it from a different perspective and training.

If the all-crowd boos are occasional in your games and you're not letting them influence what you do next, it's the best part of the game some nights.




__________________
Making the Call & Getting It Right
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 12:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

At the end of my first year reffing, one set of women's D1 games was played here in Portland (Oregon). I went, of course, and loved every minute of it. By chance I bumped into a couple of women refs from our association who had a lot of experience, and got to ask several questions.

In the program, was a biography and interview of/with Melissa Barlow. The headline was "You've got to love it when they boo..." and in the article, she talked about her first all-crowd boo, and how it affected her and her thoughts.

Since then, I've had one or two all-crowd boos, but I haven't always handled them very well. They've cut into my self-confidence and made me question myself.

But tonight I had not one, but three! And none of them left me even remotely frazzled. I knew I was absolutely right on all three, and that the crowd was simply being ill-informed fans.

It felt great to (a) get the boo, and (b) love it!!

Now, can I be the back up for Melissa Barlow?!?!


a few years ago, BV cross-town rival game and home team is up by 15 early in 4th quarter. Their star has had two or three breakaway jams that has the student section and the whole crowd in ecstacy. Another breakaway heads away from me (2 man, T) and stud jams it home, does a two hand pull-up on the ring and flange for flash. Whack, and the crowd just unloads. During the report, the home coach smiles at me and signals time-out. Ok, administered the TO and went to my circle and the boos were non-stop. First horn, coach smiles again and calls another time-out. By now the students have really picked up on the coach and they continue to let us have it. Game back underway, with the stud on the bench (Thanks coach). Got the rest done, got out but that all crowd boo was unforgettable.
__________________
Who needs the instruction book, let's just put it together.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 12:46am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 47
And to this day you remember it, right down to the feeling in your toes! And that is why we referee. To be part of the game, part of the inaction and to attempt to apply the rules with impartiality.



__________________
Making the Call & Getting It Right
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 12:48am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by missinglink
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

At the end of my first year reffing, one set of women's D1 games was played here in Portland (Oregon). I went, of course, and loved every minute of it. By chance I bumped into a couple of women refs from our association who had a lot of experience, and got to ask several questions.

In the program, was a biography and interview of/with Melissa Barlow. The headline was "You've got to love it when they boo..." and in the article, she talked about her first all-crowd boo, and how it affected her and her thoughts.

Since then, I've had one or two all-crowd boos, but I haven't always handled them very well. They've cut into my self-confidence and made me question myself.

But tonight I had not one, but three! And none of them left me even remotely frazzled. I knew I was absolutely right on all three, and that the crowd was simply being ill-informed fans.

It felt great to (a) get the boo, and (b) love it!!

Now, can I be the back up for Melissa Barlow?!?!


a few years ago, BV cross-town rival game and home team is up by 15 early in 4th quarter. Their star has had two or three breakaway jams that has the student section and the whole crowd in ecstacy. Another breakaway heads away from me (2 man, T) and stud jams it home, does a two hand pull-up on the ring and flange for flash. Whack, and the crowd just unloads. During the report, the home coach smiles at me and signals time-out. Ok, administered the TO and went to my circle and the boos were non-stop. First horn, coach smiles again and calls another time-out. By now the students have really picked up on the coach and they continue to let us have it. Game back underway, with the stud on the bench (Thanks coach). Got the rest done, got out but that all crowd boo was unforgettable.
If this were me, I'd lose my temper and toss this coach. Okay, I already know I shouldn't lose my temper, but should I toss this coach? Doesn't this constitute riling up the crowd, even though it's not gesturing or "cheerleading"? Would anyone at least ask the AD to deal with this somehow?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 05:14am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
[/B]
If this were me, I'd lose my temper and toss this coach. Okay, I already know I shouldn't lose my temper, but should I toss this coach? Doesn't this constitute riling up the crowd, even though it's not gesturing or "cheerleading"? Would anyone at least ask the AD to deal with this somehow? [/B][/QUOTE]Juulie, never get mad. Just call it right down the middle the whole game. If you're gonna nail the coach, nail him on a clear violation-- outa the box, yapping at you, whatever- but if you do, make sure that you call it same against the other coach.

Let 'em play their little games. Be above it. However, if he does make any kind of comment or gesture,....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1