The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 12, 2003, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

IF YOU WOULD HAVE TO CALL A "T" ON THE CROWD AS PER CASEBOK 2.8.1, DOES THAT COACH LOSE HIS RIGHT FOR THE COACHING BOX?NEVER HAD IT, BUT COMMON SENSE TELLS ME NO.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2003, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Tell Common Sense he is correct.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 07:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfox
IF YOU WOULD HAVE TO CALL A "T" ON THE CROWD AS PER CASEBOK 2.8.1, DOES THAT COACH LOSE HIS RIGHT FOR THE COACHING BOX?NEVER HAD IT, BUT COMMON SENSE TELLS ME NO.

It is not my intention to be a smart a** and give a flippant repsonse. And I really dislike going against J. Dallas Shirley's advice of never saying never. BUT!!

NEVER charge a technical foul on the crowd. I repeat: NEVER charge a technical foul on the crowd.

It will NEVER make the situation better.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Local D2 rivalry. Team mascot a rabbit or coyote. Because we live in a rural area a dead rabbit is often tossed on to the the floor to start the game. Always a T on the crowd!!
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

I JUST HAD A VARSITY COACH ASK ME ABOUT IT, AND I WASN'T SURE WHAT THE CALL WAS. I NEVER INTEND TO HAVE TO DO THIS.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Hey Johnny, lose the caps.

Thanks

TR
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

I hate to use the word NEVER as well...

I Agree MTD, Sr.

However, I ask how would you handle a situation that the Crowd is considered "out of control"? (I have fortunately not been in this situation, yet.)

I have my ideas, but am opening this for further discussion.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

I didn't know whether to post this under this thread or the AAU/Nite Mare thread, but figures it belongs here. This is a little long.

Last weekend, watching the semi-finals of a 15U boys game. No interest in who wins - we had the next game. Game was a little rough - lots of contact, but not flagrant or abusive. Fans for both teams were very vocal. We were in a cracker-box gym, which made the noise level that much higher.

With about three minutes left A1 rebounds a team B miss. Two or three B players start swatting at the ball. A1 gets his elbows out about chest-high, and tries to clear. I don't think he was flagrantly swinging, but he was trying to make some space. One of his elbows catches B1 in the nose. B1 goes down immediately. No whistle. A1 passes the ball, and team A takes off up-court. A scores, then referee calls a time-out to address B1, who is still on the floor. B1's coach comes out to attend to the player, as does B1's dad. Turns out B1 is okay, just a touch of blood.

B's coach calls a time-out. During the time-out B1 goes to the restroom to wipe/wash his nose. B1's dad returns to his spot in the bleachers. The dad must've said something, though, because a moment later, one of the refs comes into the stands (5 or 6 rows deep), and tells the dad to stay off his court. As the referee turns to leave the stands, B1 comes up to his dad. As B1 passes the ref, he tells the ref, "Get the hell out of here". Ref doesn't acknowledge the kid, but I know he heard him. I was 10-15 feet away and heard him.

Game continues as if nothing happened. Pretty bizarre.

- Catherine Aird
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys

The dad must've said something, though, because a moment later, one of the refs comes into the stands (5 or 6 rows deep), and tells the dad to stay off his court.
Hmmmm.....I recall something about two wrongs...or was that the pot and the kettle?

PS I may or may not call a T on that team for having the parent on the court. Depends on whether or not he says anything to me or just deals with his kid. However, he is definitely ejected from the gym. This may seem harsh to those with kids, but I believe you have turned over your kid to a coach/trainer when you allow them to participate in a sport, plus fans cannot ever, ever, ever come onto the court during a contest. Too many problems can occur. Just ask Chicago!
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Talking

IN FIBA the officials are allowed to charge a technical foul on the crowd....

no no it's a joke..but my second best dream it's to charged a T to shock spectator..
and my first best dream was that after iraq the coalition decided to bombard france...
i hope that good dream in the end will be carried out..
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 08:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ROMANO
IN FIBA the officials are allowed to charge a technical foul on the crowd....

no no it's a joke..but my second best dream it's to charged a T to shock spectator..
and my first best dream was that after iraq the coalition decided to bombard france...
i hope that good dream in the end will be carried out..

David,
Do I have family in France?
mick
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

do i have???
NO way mister.
i prefer family in GAZA AND NOT IN FRANCE..
why you asking?
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Talking

and ps
my family used to take a a shower at least once a day so how can they live in france??..
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Back to Mark's comment about never calling a T on the crowd. What about incidents where the fans throw stuff on the court after the first basket or something like that? I think there was a fad for a while like that. Maybe in Syracuse, they'd throw oranges or little orange balls onto the court after Syracuse's first point of the game? I think I also saw fans do the same thing with toilet paper once and with pennies another time. Wouldn't you HAVE to T that behavior?

Speaking of fads, maybe this should be another thread, but how many rules can you think of that were implemented directly to some stupid fad. I can think of 3 off the top of my head. Requiring strict enforcement of the bench rule so substitutes could not stand while waiting for their team's first score of the game. (I guess that one already was a rule, but it got a POE, I think.) Prohibiting laser pointers. And prohibiting those sneakers with blinking lights in them.

Chuck
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 08:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ROMANO
do i have???
NO way mister.
i prefer family in GAZA AND NOT IN FRANCE..
why you asking?
David,
You misunderstand.
mick