The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Help from the Crowd (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85573-help-crowd.html)

Moosie74 Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:05am

Help from the Crowd

In an 8th grade game the other night I call 4-5 fouls on the home team and none on the visitors. HC is all over me for that and wants to know why I'm doing that. Before I can even respond a fan behind the bench says "maybe our boys should stop fouling them, coach"

Later in the game coach is yelling again for a whistle, I tell him knock it off or he'll get the whistle, same fan, "(coach) will you just shut up and try and win the game!"

Made that game easier, coach kind of gave up after that.

Same coach ran the table on the second game, he apologized said he got a bit excited because he won the other night and wanted to win again that night but his team apparently isn't that good.

Good thing he wasn't coaching the 7th grade team, they were down 13-1 at the end of the 1st quarter and lost by 42.

Toren Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie74 (Post 811892)
In an 8th grade game the other night I call 4-5 fouls on the home team and none on the visitors. HC is all over me for that and wants to know why I'm doing that. Before I can even respond a fan behind the bench says "maybe our boys should stop fouling them, coach"

Later in the game coach is yelling again for a whistle, I tell him knock it off or he'll get the whistle, same fan, "(coach) will you just shut up and try and win the game!"

Same coach ran the table on the second game, he apologized said he got a bit excited because he won the other night and wanted to win again that night but his team apparently isn't that good.

Good thing he wasn't coaching the 7th grade team, they were down 13-1 at the end of the 1st quarter and lost by 42.

How would you have responded to the coach had you had the opportunity?

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:03pm

Quote:

So then they improved after the 1st quarter. :D

Adam Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 811913)

Ooh ooh! I know!

RookieDude Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:18pm

Quote:

... Before I can even respond a fan behind the bench says "maybe our boys should stop fouling them, coach"

I've been wondering what JR has been doing with himself lately...

Jurrasic had to be the FAN!:D

Moosie74 Tue Jan 10, 2012 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 811913)

Since I had already told him to knock it off once, my response would have been

Tweet
Technical foul , white, head coach

And then go home and write the report.

It's my first year doing basketball, my 20th year officiating overall so I'm not unfamiliar with being worked and fixing other's behavior.

Moosie74 Tue Jan 10, 2012 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 811922)
So then they improved after the 1st quarter. :D

Yeah, I guess. :)

RookieDude Tue Jan 10, 2012 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosie74 (Post 811949)
Since I had already told him to knock it off once, my response would have been

Tweet
Technical foul , white, head coach

And then go home and write the report.

You have to write a report for EVERY technical foul you call?

Moosie74 Tue Jan 10, 2012 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 811975)

Yes, our association requires it. Just a brief narrative about the events leading up to to the call and the resulting compliance/noncompliance.

Adam Tue Jan 10, 2012 01:57pm

Quote:

State requirement here.

Loudwhistle2 Tue Jan 10, 2012 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 811932)
I've been wondering what JR has been doing with himself lately...

Jurrasic had to be the FAN!:D

Me too! Where's JR these days?

bainsey Tue Jan 10, 2012 02:12pm

Quote:

We have an webpage for that. You just fill in the fields (team name, player/coach name, time, location, etc.) and a brief description of the reason.

Our soccer board also has one for red/yellow cards, and as a bonus, someone prints out a spreadsheet at season's end of all the cards we issued, including the reasons. (It doesn't list who issued them.) It makes for a fun conversation piece!

BillyMac Tue Jan 10, 2012 05:25pm

Hopefully He'll Be Around Soon ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 812015)
Where's JR these days?

Sabbatical.

Freddy Tue Jan 10, 2012 06:57pm

Do You Also Ride to the Game Together?

Quote:

Do you pay for your wife to get into the game, or does she buy her own ticket?

Moosie74 Wed Jan 11, 2012 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 812123)
Do you pay for your wife to get into the game, or does she buy her own ticket?

:) Not her in this instance. Would she do that? Absolutely. This person was not known to me.