The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Dwelling on calls

The fact that we are all here on this site shows we are interested in self improvement and sometimes(at least in my case) we can be our harshest critics. I found myself dwelling on a particular call or a bad mechanic, missed rotation during tourney games over the holidays. This of course, will lead to lack of focus and reffing in the here and now. Much like any athlete in any sport, the 'play' is over, move on.

Any one else ever go through this?

Doctor Phil
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

This year I've been working hard at not allowing crap that goes on during the game to "rattle" me.

A couple of weeks ago I had a game with a relatively inexperienced partner. He had a bit of a goof up where he stopped live play to tell the visiting bench to be quiet and stop making comments. A few minutes later, I'm T table side when the visiting coach comes all the way across the halfcourt line right to me, grabs me by the arm (not forcefully). I swing around and start to put air into my whistle to T him up when I hear him say that he's trying to get our attention because his player has a bloody nose.

I tell him ok, but he has got to get back to his bench right now. I start walking him back a few feet, then turn around and go to the player to tell him to sub out.

As I was walking away from the coach, my partner is walking toward me to find out what's going on. The same coach, now for some reason irate because I've told him to get back in his box, is coming back out on the court.

My partner Ts him up. I hear the whistle and turn back around as my partner is starting to get into a bit of an argument with the coach. I separate them, tell my partner to go get the bloody nose kid out and get in position to administer the free throws.

Eventually we got everything settled, got the coach back in his box, got the player with the bloody nose out of the game, and started administering free throws. But the whole scenario got me a little rattled, in the sense that my mechanics for the entire rest of the quarter were jerky, I was not sharp on my whistle and my judgment and just in general I got taken out of the game, because I couldn't stop thinking about how I could have handled the situation differently.

Had a great talk from the varsity officials after the game. They told me they were particularly impressed with how calm I stayed in the whole situation, but that they could tell I let it rattle me.

That's something I'm working on now, when the shiz hits the fan, not letting it throw me off my game.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 03:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

We all have on some level. I just have gotten to the point where this is not much of a concern in my game anymore. I think you just have to take the mindset that you will not get every call right and move on when it happens. Usually my mistakes are things that most people do not even notice. We never have perfect games and if I did I probably would be shocked and retire on the spot. You cannot dwell on anything or the next several plays might be out of whack if you do.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Gotta develop into a page turner

A referee who dwells on a call is equivalent to a player that misses a layup & doesnt get back on defense... 2 you missed & 2 you gave up. - Marc Davis
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
The fact that we are all here on this site shows we are interested in self improvement and sometimes(at least in my case) we can be our harshest critics. I found myself dwelling on a particular call or a bad mechanic, missed rotation during tourney games over the holidays. This of course, will lead to lack of focus and reffing in the here and now. Much like any athlete in any sport, the 'play' is over, move on.

Doctor Phil
This is a good thing... it shows you care and want to be the best you can be every night. I will take someone with those qualities as a partner any night.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 05:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Just like a coach telling his/her players to "let it go" and keep playing hard, we have to be able to file things away to review later. That comes with experience. The first time the crap hits the fan, we probably won't handle things well...but we will get a little bit thicker skin and be able to handle it better the next time.

So when something odd happens, rather than letting it "get to you", learn to stick it in the back of your mind to discuss later (halftime, post game, at the next meeting, etc.) and keep concentrating on what is going on on the court. The easiest way to do that is to self-talk (at least for me)...I get myself to concentrate by talking to myself in my mind - "Where's my match-up?", "Where's the post players?" "How's the secondary defender to be aware of?" etc., etc...forces me to get my mind back to what's important right here and now.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

It's happened to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post

Doctor Phil
...but I learned to put it away, and then let it go. Mistakes happen. Experience, this site, and constant rules study helps a lot.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 01:00am
Back from the DL

Long story short, I had a fashion police issue today that I had to deal with, and I allowed the whole thing to rattle me and jar my focus. I was even grumpy about it when I got home.

We all have work to do, and we all choose our reactions. Focus is a choice, too. Don't let anything rattle it on the court, especially the stupid stuff.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 01:03am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Long story short, I had a fashion police issue today that I had to deal with, and I allowed the whole thing to rattle me and jar my focus. I was even grumpy about it when I got home.

We all have work to do, and we all choose our reactions. Focus is a choice, too. Don't let anything rattle it on the court, especially the stupid stuff.
Care to elaborate? Don't want the thread to get too far off topic, so maybe start a new thread?
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Care to elaborate? Don't want the thread to get too far off topic, so maybe start a new thread?
Yes, please do. Of all the things that could cause an official to get "rattled", being the fashion police would fall way down the list, I would think.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Dwelling on a Game

I have gotten pretty good at being able to move on after a bad call but this past Wednesday I had a bad GAME that is still in my head.

Frankly, it's probably the worst game I can remember. No major rules gaffes or anything that I think changed the rightful outcome of the game but just an overall poor job. The Home coach, who ended up winning, was chirpy throughout the game. At one point in the 3rd he said, "you're calling this ticky tack stuff but then not calling what really needs to be called." I just thought to myself, "You're right coach, I've been AWFUL tonite."

I tried self talk and a few other mental excercises but for whatever reason I just could not get into the game mentally. Very dissapointing because I'm at the stage in my career where I feel like I'm really ready to take it to the next level. But this game was just awful and it's still in my head 2 days later.

Fortunately I get back on the court tonight and will move past this but it's still disturbing that I had a whole game that I'm dwelling on. Anyone else have one of those nights where you just couldnt get it going at all?
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 10:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Fortunately I get back on the court tonight and will move past this but it's still disturbing that I had a whole game that I'm dwelling on. Anyone else have one of those nights where you just couldnt get it going at all?
I remember having just a horrible half one time. But neither coach seemed to notice as I got no flak that I can remember. And talking to my partners after the game neither had any plays that stuck out to them. But I knew I sucked and that mentally I had went in the tank the 2nd half.

Just up'd my concentration level for the following game.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I remember having just a horrible half one time. But neither coach seemed to notice as I got no flak that I can remember. And talking to my partners after the game neither had any plays that stuck out to them. But I knew I sucked and that mentally I had went in the tank the 2nd half.

Just up'd my concentration level for the following game.
Yeah, most of us are our own worst critics and post game both of my partners said they didnt notice anything bad nor did the losing coach say a single word throughout the game.

It is about concentration and mental focus and Wednesday night was the first time that I can remember where I was just out of it for basically an entire game. I'm sure it's happened to me before during some weekend or summer ball but not in a scholastic game.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Just curious

Did you have a good pre-game? I know that often helps set the tone for me.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
Did you have a good pre-game? I know that often helps set the tone for me.
I was the R and working with two people I was somewhat familiar with. I thought our pre-game was pretty good but we made the mistake of assuming that it was going to be a poorly played game based on what one of my partners said about having seen one of the teams previously and both teams recent history of not being very good.

It was also the first girls game I had done since maybe the first week of the season, not that it should matter. Both teams played better than we anticipated and the 1st quarter score was 17-16. I commented at halftime that we should not have made the assumption and that I didnt feel like I came out "ready from the tip."

What was disturbing to me was that even after recognizing this, I never got it going mentally. But you're right. I think it started with improper focus in the pre-game.