The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Was it not a week or so ago we had a thread covering the calling or not of the 3-second violation?

Last night I got to see the Ohio State vs Hampton game in Columbus. (Silly us, we are spending the New Year week with our rabid OSU relatives who bleed Scarlet and Silver)

There were at a minimum 5, 3-second calls made in the game. Looks like some college officials did not get the word not to call them. What I did notice was that in each case the violator was set, and would have had definite advantage on any play in the paint if he was left in there.

Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I am much more familiar witht he NFHS rules, but it seems to me that if someone is planted in the paint in order to obtain an advantage, then the 3-second violation should be called.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

As a player (forward) position I was always effected by the three second. Big goon's hanging in the post. I know it effects the game.

As a Ref, all I hear is the distain of the 3 second.

I call it if its 4. What a deal!

Also: don't you agree that its the "fan's" favorite? Next to traveling, what do you hear most from the crowd?
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I think that contributes to our disdain, I just won't call it if I've got the momma's counting to nine for me
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 05:49pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Was it not a week or so ago we had a thread covering the calling or not of the 3-second violation?

Last night I got to see the Ohio State vs Hampton game in Columbus. (Silly us, we are spending the New Year week with our rabid OSU relatives who bleed Scarlet and Silver)

There were at a minimum 5, 3-second calls made in the game. Looks like some college officials did not get the word not to call them. What I did notice was that in each case the violator was set, and would have had definite advantage on any play in the paint if he was left in there.

I didn't see the game, but it is Scarlet and Gray not Scarlet and Silver. Go Bucks!!
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 05:50pm
Administrator

Having got that out of my system, it is my opinion that the three second violation will be written out of the rules in the next 20 to 30 years. And I hope that it comes sooner.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Why do you want to eliminate 3 seconds?
the three second rule properly applied eliminates a ton of rough play down low...Keep the kids moving. If they dont want to they can turn the ball over.

I have called a few three seconds in the past few weeks, and most coaches dont get on me, they get on their players for being lazy, not working, and they need to be working for good shots. Especially when I'm telling them to get out and they dont move...
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Why not call it?

The rule is in the book and has been there MANY years, if not always. What other violations are routinely ignored as often as this one? Violations, as opposed to fouls, should not be judged by advantage. A violation either happened or didn't. The rules don't say that "A player can not stay in the lane more than 3 seconds IF BY DOING SO THEY GAIN AN ADVANTAGE." Would you ignore an out-of-bounds violation because "no advantage" was gained? How about a travel? Should a coach tell his/her players to camp out in the lane until it is called?

To me, not calling it brings us closer to "The only rule is don't get caught" mentality that degrades the game. What possible reason is there for ignoring such a clear-cut rule? Our refs are calling it this year in the top level CYO divisions, and they should. As long as it is in the rule book, call the vioaltion (ok, let is slide for little kids).
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

I like 3 seconds, want it called, and want it to remain a rule. If they can't move out of the paint, make them pay for camping out there. And it makes for ugly offense to have one large player just sitting there taking up space right next to the basket.

If you want to ignore the 3 seconds at the elbow, I have no issue with that because it's not really why the rule is there. But call it in the blocks. It does make the game better.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

In the NCAA rule book for this year the three second call is CAPITALIZED. This is a point of emphasis for women this season. In fact it states that if a post player gains position for more than three seconds three seconds must be called. POE for women, post play paragraph F. I have always felt that an offensive player gains an advantage by posting up in the lane. I talk, then whistle.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
In the NCAA rule book for this year the three second call is CAPITALIZED. This is a point of emphasis for women this season. .
Hallejulia! One of my pet peeves as a defensive player has always been getting called for a foul after playing post defense in the key for five seconds . . . I've found it amusing to listen to talk of widening the lane in college -- seems like enforcing the rule that exists would be a better start.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Points of Emphasis

Actually your remark about college ref's not getting the word not to call 3 secs is totally backwards. If you take a look in the NCAA rule book this year, 3 secs is a point of emphasis this year due to the rule change regarding it. Although I do agree in officiating at the college level that an advantage needs to be gained before calling 3 secs, I will often look to call one or two early in a game if warranted to set the tone and make everyone aware that we are looking for it.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I'm a coach, and I have never gotten on a official for calling a three-second violation on one of my players. Every time that it has happened I get on the player who was too lazy to move six inches to get out of the lane.

Personally I wouldn't mind if more three second violations were called. It would help out our offense a lot in the fact that it would keep the kids from planting themselves and not moving.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

IMO the 3 second call definately needs to be looked at as adv/disadv/ if a player is camping in the lane or being lazy and not moving talk then whistle. Same for a player who remains in the lane to attempt to circumvent good defense. However I have seen way too many officials here FED and NCAA women calling 3 secs on a player who is working to post up and moving but hapens to keep 3 inches of her heel in the lane. Is not the OFFENSIVE player at a disadvantage if she has to look down every second to make sure that last half-inch of her heel/toe has cleared the lane. I believe the key to this is talking and then whistling players who are monopolizing (sp) the lane. IMO the reason this is a POE in NCAA this year was the fact that 3-secs was very rarely called and thus created a big post/off rebounding adv for the offense. JMO
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

MN, I agree that I find it niticky to call the 3 seconds on the barely touching the lane line scenario. You can choose not to see some things, and this is one that should be hard for a ref that is watching all the post play to notice But there is another ansswer to this problem, and it is the one I give my players.

Dick Divencio, in one of his many insightful statements the book Stuff (a must read for serious coaches and players), tells players to set their own boundaries to avoid these silly violations. He suggests that the player's boundaries should be set 3 feet inside the sidelines and 1 foot outside the lane. That avoids the I just barely touched the line or I was barely in the lane type of violations, and eliminates any chance that the ref will think you are in the lane too long.

If you take that extra step out, there is no doubt that you have cleared the lane. And it really gives yo nice room to operate and attack the basket. Every one of my players knows where I consider the blocks to be (and I use a one-step away from the lane rule). You don't know how it's going to be called, so it's best to play smart and avoid any chance of the 3 second call.