The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Potential flop??

On foul #6, it also looks as if Red 34 feigns getting hit hard to cause the game clock to get stopped. White 34 did graze Red 34, but not hard enough to be knocked down with the force that supposedly happened.

Couldn't an Intentional be called against Red 34 then?
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Couldn't an Intentional be called against Red 34 then?
No.

And holy crap, he's not feigning anything. You can't fake that sort of physical reaction while in the air.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Jan 02, 2012 at 11:18pm.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I don't believe 34 has any interest in learning the game. I believe he is there at the coach's direction to do exactly what we see in the video. No legitimate coach would keep this goon in a game for more than a minute or two. I can't imagine why a coach would even put him on the floor except to intimidate the other team. Its obvious he has zero basketball skills. A truly disgusting display by the player, his coach, and the oblivious officials working the game. One can only hope somebody at the state office address this nonsense immediately.
White 34 is a Senior this year. He has little basketball skills, yes I do admit it, so his primary duties is to be a defensive wall. White 42 is also a Senior that has some basketball skills but not really enough to be a truly good player.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
More or less the way I saw it....2, maybe 3, are just common fouls. Hard, yes, but not meeting the definition of intentional. A couple are intentional. One, maybe two could/would be flagrant.

They're certainly not all flagrant as the video suggests.
From the film, there is malicious intent in every one of them. Individually, a couple of them may be regular fouls. In the context, they are all intentional, IMO, with one flagrant. Not one of them is a basketball play.

The school should be ashamed. So should the officials, but the film indicates they think everything was fine from their perspective. I wonder if the supervisor will pull games. Clearly, these guys cannot work at the high school level without strong supervision.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
He can also make the request to the Boys' coach that the player be removed from the game or face some sort of penalty.
OK, I just have to ask. What sort of penalty are you thinking the AD can impose upon the coach of another school? Can he turn off the hot water in the vistors' showers?
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
From the film, there is malicious intent in every one of them. Individually, a couple of them may be regular fouls. In the context, they are all intentional, IMO, with one flagrant. Not one of them is a basketball play.

The school should be ashamed. So should the officials, but the film indicates they think everything was fine from their perspective. I wonder if the supervisor will pull games. Clearly, these guys cannot work at the high school level without strong supervision.
Wow. I'm going to have to watch the video, but there may not be an actual supervisor.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
OK, I just have to ask. What sort of penalty are you thinking the AD can impose upon the coach of another school? Can he turn off the hot water in the vistors' showers?
Not against the visiting school, I was meaning can impose some penalty against the home coach/player for allowing such activities to happen.

Unfortunately I was not there that night, so I have no idea how the home coach responded to the calls/action.

I do know that is not the normal play for the team, White 34 should have been sitting after the first incident by the coach.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The AD can however remove unruly fans for unsportsmanlike conduct. He can also make the request to the Boys' coach that the player be removed from the game or face some sort of penalty.
He can make any request off the court he likes. He cannot do that in the middle of the game or in a way that disrupts the game.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:22pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He can make any request off the court he likes. He cannot do that in the middle of the game or in a way that disrupts the game.

Peace
He can certainly DIRECT his coach to address 34's play immediately.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post

"In context?" WTH does that mean? You can't make the first call in context. They're two different players, and you can't punish #42's hard foul based on #34's previous fouls.

Assuming these were all in order, #34 would have been gone (flagrant) after his third foul. The first one was borderline intentional (not flagrant at all, by itself) and I may not have gone with an intentional that quickly. But his second one would be inentional and I would have easily gone flagrant by his third. It's possible I would have gone flagrant on his second one, he's going right through the opponent and not really even paying attention.

#42's two-hand shove with full extension is easily an intentional, but his first foul is just a hard foul.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Now there's something within his purview.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Disagree.

The AD is the director of athletics at the school. He oversees all of the goings on involving athletics at the school. It's a home game. He absolutely has the power to step out on the court and yank those pieces of garbage off the floor, send them to the locker room and tell them they won't play another game in a CHS uniform.

But, he didn't.
You want an administrator (who it is possible you do not know is an administrator) coming onto the court and escalate the situation by pulling someone off the court? Good luck with that.

They can have any conversation off the court they want. They have a job to do to run the oversee, but during the game they do not have to right or the authority to get involved during the contest. If the AD does such a thing, there might be others that feel they are responsible for those kinds of things and get involved. When we are hired to work the game, there are protocols and this would be inappropriate for them to go onto the court for something they do not control.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
He can do a lot of things, but that does not make it appropriate. And that certainly does not have anything to do with what we are seeing on this video.

This is also HS, not college or the pros. An AD might not even be the person that hires the coach or makes the decision. So to suggest that an AD can direct what a coach does is not always true. Many schools the AD makes sure of other things with their athletic program, but they are not always or in many cases the boss of the coach. And again, that has nothing to do with what is happening on this video.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Jan 02, 2012 at 11:32pm.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Now that I know he's talking about the home coach, the AD can certainly say something to the coach. He is his boss, after all (unless it's one of those schools where the boys basketball coach has more pull than the AD).
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 11:38pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Now that I know he's talking about the home coach, the AD can certainly say something to the coach. He is his boss, after all (unless it's one of those schools where the boys basketball coach has more pull than the AD).
+1

That's my impression of what an AD is hired to do. And that has EVERYTHING to do with what we see in this video...an out of control player representing a school with the implied consent of a coach.