The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Uncalled Cheap Shots

Boy, saw this yesterday...Thoughts or comments? Maybe this is what happens when they fire CHSEagle?!?!?

Flagrant foul no-calls Highland @ Connell 12/22/11 - YouTube
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 07:22pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
#34 is a thug. Foul #5 was brutal.

Refs gotta take care of business here.

Where's the coach in all this?
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Plays two and six, I have nothing in of themselves. The other plays, at minimum would be an intentional foul in my book in of themselves (with the fifth play being a straight flagrant by itself) but since we have number 34 for white not seemingly attempting to play any legit defense, he would have been tossed well before we got to those other plays.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Boy, saw this yesterday...Thoughts or comments? Maybe this is what happens when they fire CHSEagle?!?!?

Frightening. Best thing I ever picked up at a camp was from a D1 official who said identify a troublemaker and get him out of there. 34 certainly is a troublemaker
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Plays two and six, I have nothing in of themselves. The other plays, at minimum would be an intentional foul in my book in of themselves (with the fifth play being a straight flagrant by itself) but since we have number 34 for white not seemingly attempting to play any legit defense, he would have been tossed well before we got to those other plays.
Agreed.

I'm amazed that the officials did not take care of #34, if not the first time then absolutely by the second time he committed a non-basketball act. After play #5 you see one of the officials talking to him and then kind of smiling and patting him on the back. WAY too little WAY too late!

Equally amazed that red did not retaliate. When I played in HS, there is no way we would have let opponents take cheap shots like that. I credit them for their restraint but 9 times out of 10 a fight breaks out in a situation like this. And after the 2nd time I wouldn't have faulted any kid on red for standing up for himself and his team. As the opposing coach I probably would have been ejected for walking down to the other sideline and handling business myself.

And the coach of the white team should be ashamed of himself. No way those two should have been allowed to play like that. It makes me assume that they were coached to play that way to intimidate opponents.

That's not basketball. It's two oversized teenagers being punks/bullies on the court.

Dangerous situation and the adults involved failed the red team miserably. Extremely fortunate that nobody was hurt and that an all out brawl didnt occur.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post

Thanks for the information I'm sending a copy of the video to the AD.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Wow- Is this really Chseagle's school?
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 08:00pm
Huck Finn

On any given night you can find ten that want to play (right). I only saw one that was flagrant, several were intentional and I would have systematically (5 fouls) far before things got out of hand.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Wow- Is this really Chseagle's school?
Yes that was really Connell High, I've never seen them get that physical.

#34 was one of our primary defensive players for football, & watching that video he still thinks it's football.

Of course, not everything is being shown, perhaps some Highland players were playing the same way.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 08:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

I only saw one flagrant foul as well and a couple that would have been intentional at best. The last play would have been nothing more than just a foul. Now that being said, you have to have game awareness. This kid is really not trying to play basketball. I would look to call any little contact with him a foul and get him out of the game if I did not get him for a flagrant earlier. The officials acted totally oblivious to what was going on in this game. I am amazed by their total lack of awareness.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 08:23pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The officials acted totally oblivious to what was going on in this game. I am amazed by their total lack of awareness.

Peace
This is common in my association and I'm not sure our group of officials are alone in this. Game awareness is so important from the time we take the court until we leave the court.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 08:31pm
#thereferee99

The bottom line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaterp View Post
dangerous situation and the adults involved failed the red team miserably.
+1.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 08:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

On first viewing, I had #2 and #6 as common fouls, #5 as flagrant, and the rest intentional.

I would've been looking quite closely at 34 and 42 and they wouldn't have played a lot of minutes -- either after getting ejected or picking up a few quick fouls.

No real urgency with the officials -- on hard fouls like that you'd expect at least 2 of the officials to close distance quickly to make sure things don't escalate. But here, nothing.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry, but if they are in chronological order and after I saw #1, #3 becomes flagrant and #34 is gone.

Oblivious? After #5, the one everyone agrees is the only flagrant foul, the C comes in for a chat with #34. Looked like a pleasant conversation with possibly a little pat on the fanny.

Last edited by BLydic; Mon Jan 02, 2012 at 08:58pm.