The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Uncalled Cheap Shots (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85312-uncalled-cheap-shots.html)

TheOracle Mon Jan 02, 2012 07:04pm

Uncalled Cheap Shots

Boy, saw this yesterday...Thoughts or comments? Maybe this is what happens when they fire CHSEagle?!?!?

Flagrant foul no-calls Highland @ Connell 12/22/11 - YouTube

APG Mon Jan 02, 2012 07:09pm

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K6v-bW6wxoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

grunewar Mon Jan 02, 2012 07:22pm

#34 is a thug. Foul #5 was brutal.

Refs gotta take care of business here.

Where's the coach in all this?

APG Mon Jan 02, 2012 07:23pm

Plays two and six, I have nothing in of themselves. The other plays, at minimum would be an intentional foul in my book in of themselves (with the fifth play being a straight flagrant by itself) but since we have number 34 for white not seemingly attempting to play any legit defense, he would have been tossed well before we got to those other plays.

fullor30 Mon Jan 02, 2012 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOracle (Post 810009)
Boy, saw this yesterday...Thoughts or comments? Maybe this is what happens when they fire CHSEagle?!?!?

Frightening. Best thing I ever picked up at a camp was from a D1 official who said identify a troublemaker and get him out of there. 34 certainly is a troublemaker

VaTerp Mon Jan 02, 2012 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 810014)
Plays two and six, I have nothing in of themselves. The other plays, at minimum would be an intentional foul in my book in of themselves (with the fifth play being a straight flagrant by itself) but since we have number 34 for white not seemingly attempting to play any legit defense, he would have been tossed well before we got to those other plays.

Agreed.

I'm amazed that the officials did not take care of #34, if not the first time then absolutely by the second time he committed a non-basketball act. After play #5 you see one of the officials talking to him and then kind of smiling and patting him on the back. WAY too little WAY too late!

Equally amazed that red did not retaliate. When I played in HS, there is no way we would have let opponents take cheap shots like that. I credit them for their restraint but 9 times out of 10 a fight breaks out in a situation like this. And after the 2nd time I wouldn't have faulted any kid on red for standing up for himself and his team. As the opposing coach I probably would have been ejected for walking down to the other sideline and handling business myself.

And the coach of the white team should be ashamed of himself. No way those two should have been allowed to play like that. It makes me assume that they were coached to play that way to intimidate opponents.

That's not basketball. It's two oversized teenagers being punks/bullies on the court.

Dangerous situation and the adults involved failed the red team miserably. Extremely fortunate that nobody was hurt and that an all out brawl didnt occur.

chseagle Mon Jan 02, 2012 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOracle (Post 810009)

Thanks for the information I'm sending a copy of the video to the AD.

VaTerp Mon Jan 02, 2012 08:00pm

Wow- Is this really Chseagle's school?

tomegun Mon Jan 02, 2012 08:00pm

On any given night you can find ten that want to play (right). I only saw one that was flagrant, several were intentional and I would have systematically (5 fouls) far before things got out of hand.

chseagle Mon Jan 02, 2012 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 810019)
Wow- Is this really Chseagle's school?

Yes that was really Connell High, I've never seen them get that physical.

#34 was one of our primary defensive players for football, & watching that video he still thinks it's football.

Of course, not everything is being shown, perhaps some Highland players were playing the same way.

JRutledge Mon Jan 02, 2012 08:19pm

I only saw one flagrant foul as well and a couple that would have been intentional at best. The last play would have been nothing more than just a foul. Now that being said, you have to have game awareness. This kid is really not trying to play basketball. I would look to call any little contact with him a foul and get him out of the game if I did not get him for a flagrant earlier. The officials acted totally oblivious to what was going on in this game. I am amazed by their total lack of awareness.

Peace

tomegun Mon Jan 02, 2012 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 810022)
The officials acted totally oblivious to what was going on in this game. I am amazed by their total lack of awareness.

Peace

This is common in my association and I'm not sure our group of officials are alone in this. Game awareness is so important from the time we take the court until we leave the court.

referee99 Mon Jan 02, 2012 08:31pm

The bottom line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaterp (Post 810016)
dangerous situation and the adults involved failed the red team miserably.

+1.

Rich Mon Jan 02, 2012 08:51pm

On first viewing, I had #2 and #6 as common fouls, #5 as flagrant, and the rest intentional.

I would've been looking quite closely at 34 and 42 and they wouldn't have played a lot of minutes -- either after getting ejected or picking up a few quick fouls.

No real urgency with the officials -- on hard fouls like that you'd expect at least 2 of the officials to close distance quickly to make sure things don't escalate. But here, nothing.

BLydic Mon Jan 02, 2012 08:51pm

I'm sorry, but if they are in chronological order and after I saw #1, #3 becomes flagrant and #34 is gone.

Oblivious? After #5, the one everyone agrees is the only flagrant foul, the C comes in for a chat with #34. Looked like a pleasant conversation with possibly a little pat on the fanny.