The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 07:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Nothing But Net ...

Ortiz's shot was all luck. Bird's was all skill.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 08:10am
Lighten up, Francis.

It was tough for me to see very well, but I have to say that from the shooter's position, it certainly looks like the ball passed over the backboard.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

CK came and spoke to a local association here in Columbus.
He asked what officials hated the most. They explained to him about people not understanding the rules, etc.
Plus they explained to him the "terms" people use that are not fouls or proper.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 08:40pm
(Something hilarious)

Certainly looks like the @ Santa Clara basket should've been disallowed for a violation of NCAA 9-3-2: "The ball shall be out of bounds when any part of the ball passes over the backboard from any direction."
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 07:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Doubt, Don't Be ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Certainly looks like the @ Santa Clara basket should've been disallowed for a violation of NCAA 9-3-2: "The ball shall be out of bounds when any part of the ball passes over the backboard from any direction."
"Certainly" is an awfully strong word. After viewing this several times, I would have used the word "probably". Should officials make calls when something "probably" happens? I know more about multilinear algebra than I do about NCAA rules so I don't know if this was a reviewable play. If the call had to be made in "real time" then, in my opinion, it was a tough call, either way.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 12:33pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"Certainly" is an awfully strong word. After viewing this several times, I would have used the word "probably". Should officials make calls when something "probably" happens? I know more about multilinear algebra than I do about NCAA rules so I don't know if this was a reviewable play. If the call had to be made in "real time" then, in my opinion, it was a tough call, either way.
Not reviewable as to whether or not there was a violation. They could've gone to the monitor to ensure the shot was released in time, but couldn't have come out and waived off the basket for a violation afterward. (NCAA 2-13-7-c). I agree it's a very tough call in real time, but it looks like, in my opinion, and by virtue of getting to watching it multiple times, that some part of the ball passed over some part of the backboard.
On another note, it'd have been interesting to see the endline camera angle on this, as they have one at either end sitting in a rolling chair for men's games, if I remember correctly from attending quite a few games there.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2012, 01:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's A Game Of Inches, Actually, Fractions Of Inches ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
It looks like, in my opinion, and by virtue of getting to watching it multiple times, that some part of the ball passed over some part of the backboard.
Agree. But I don't fault the officials, who didn't have the ability to look at the play multiple times, like we did.

Man, is it easy to officiate plays on my computer monitor. And I got an new eighteen inch monitor for Christmas to replace my fifteen inch monitor. That should make me a much better official.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 03, 2012 at 04:23pm.