The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Blarg

Blarg happens, I had an official tell me that the way to handle is to give each a foul and go alternating possession? Doesn't sound correct? How would you handle.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 06:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Casebook Play ...

4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball.
Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter
A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the
other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.
RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it
is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul.
The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal
is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for
Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try
in flight; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used. (4-36)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by force39 View Post
Blarg happens, I had an official tell me that the way to handle is to give each a foul and go alternating possession? Doesn't sound correct? How would you handle.
Almost....charge both and go to point-of-interruption (which may or may not be the AP).
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Almost....charge both and go to point-of-interruption (which may or may not be the AP).
Yep. Gotta have a double foul and go with the AP....Then have a long talk at your earliest opportunity on how to avoid this in the future....A good pre game on primary coverage areas will help this.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unless you're working NCAAW, the ruling is correct.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Yep. Gotta have a double foul and go with the AP....Then have a long talk at your earliest opportunity on how to avoid this in the future....A good pre game on primary coverage areas will help this.
Earliest opportunity for a long talk is the pre-game. After the fact a good official will recognize if his actions are what caused the problem.

AP is not automatic, depends of the status of the ball at the time of the double foul.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Yep. Gotta have a double foul and go with the AP....
Not necessarily.

If there's team control, POI, team A keeps the ball.

If there's a shot and the basket is good, POI, Team B gets the ball for throw-in, with the opportunity to run the endline.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 02:40am
Do not give a damn!!

I had one happen to me about a week or so ago with a fellow poster watching (at least I think he was watching at that time). I hate it when it happens, but it happens to the best of us. I did not see my partner and I signaled. Oh well, life moves on.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 07:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

It Could Happen ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I hate it when it happens. I did not see my partner and I signaled.
I hate it when, as the lead, I don't hear my partner's whistle, usually due to crowd noise, and figuring that I'm the only caller, immediately come out with a strong player control foul signal, or a strong block signal, only then seeing my partner's fist in the air. So far, in over thirty years, no blarges, but it still scares the hell out of me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I hate it when, as the lead, I don't hear my partner's whistle, usually due to crowd noise, and figuring that I'm the only caller, immediately come out with a strong player control foul signal, or a strong block signal, only then seeing my partner's fist in the air. So far, in over thirty years, no blarges, but it still scares the hell out of me.
exact thing happened to me last year (first and only time), and Murphy's Law, my commmissioner was watching...pregame, pregame, pregame!
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 09:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Quote:
4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball.
Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter
A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the
other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.
RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it
is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul.
The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal
is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for
Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try
in flight; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used. (4-36)
Force,

Because the calls are judgement calls, both fouls are penalized.

Imagine that only the L had a whistle on the play. The T did not have a whistle, so therefore just stood there watching the players after the L had the foul call. The L does his prelim and in his judgement, it is a block. Whether or not anyone agrees with the call, including the T who stayed silent on the matter, the crew will enforce a blocking foul.

Now imagine that only the T had a whistle on the play. The L did not have a whistle, so therefore just stood there watching the players after the T had the foul call. The T does his prelim and in his judgement, it is a player control foul. Whether or not anyone agrees with the call, including the L who stayed silent on the matter, the crew will enforce a player control foul.

Now imagine that both signal a prelim without waiting to see what the other official has. Since they both signalled, both are expressing their judgement of the play. Backtracking on one of those opinions (ie. only enforcing the block or the PC) throws both guys under the bus.

Their credibility could be shot. And that is what the case book play is avoiding, imho.

To prevent this, officials need education about situations where the blarge could come into play:
  • whose primary did the play originate from?
  • who has the primary defender and who has the secondary defender?
    • and for that matter, what is a primary defender and what is a secondary defender
  • the pass and crash situation

Also to prevent this, officials need to follow approved mechanics: when your whistle goes, raise the fist in the air, and pause for a heartbeat or two, giving time to see if your partner has anything, and then make eye contact and go from there. IOW, don't go right to the prelim - which is what causes many blarges.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For whatever reason, it's hard for the L to hold the preliminary. It's much easier for the T/C to hold the preliminary. So, if there's a blarge, I usually "blame" the outside official.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 12:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Whistle ??? What Whistle ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
exact thing happened to me last year (first and only time), and Murphy's Law, my commissioner was watching...pregame, pregame, pregame!
Every single pregame that I participate in, as either the referee, or the umpire, will contain some variation of the following:

On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, most often the
lead official, unless you definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll
talk about it.

Of course, this only works if both of the officials realize that there has been a double whistle.

Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
For whatever reason, it's hard for the L to hold the preliminary. It's much easier for the T/C to hold the preliminary. So, if there's a blarge, I usually "blame" the outside official.
Yup. Most pre-games around here involve discussion on the T/C holding off on giving a prelimiary.

Not sure of the reason either but I know it just feels natural to come out with a strong prelim as the L.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

So very true..........