The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   TV Commentators (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85248-tv-commentators.html)

VaTerp Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:14pm

TV Commentators

Much is made about how TV commentators help fuel ignorance of rules and officiating in general.

Just heard Clark Kellog use legal guarding position during the UK-Louisville game. Brought a :D to my face. Maybe there is hope yet.

eyezen Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:28pm

In relation to the other talking heads, CK is about as rule knowledgeable as they come.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 809610)
In relation to the other talking heads, CK is about as rule knowledgeable as they come.

OK - that makes 1.

WhistlesAndStripes Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:44pm

I noted the same comment, however, I think it was in the context of a block/charge, and Clark said, "He wasn't there set in a legal guarding position."

You don't have to be "set" in order to have LGP. For those with a DVR, it is at the 16:55 mark of the first half.

bainsey Sat Dec 31, 2011 02:03pm

CK is one of my faves. A few years ago, he emphasized on the air, "there is no over the back, it's ON the back." So, yes, there are indeed those that know what they're talking about.

tjones1 Sat Dec 31, 2011 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 809604)
Much is made about how TV commentators help fuel ignorance of rules and officiating in general.

Just heard Clark Kellog use legal guarding position during the UK-Louisville game. Brought a :D to my face. Maybe there is hope yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 809610)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 809650)
CK is one of my faves. A few years ago, he emphasized on the air, "there is no over the back, it's ON the back." So, yes, there are indeed those that know what they're talking about.

Agreed he's up there; however, keep listening to him.

Adam Sat Dec 31, 2011 02:44pm

Quote:

He's closer, but still wrong.

BktBallRef Sat Dec 31, 2011 04:07pm

Quote:

CK is one of my faves. A few years ago, he emphasized on the air, "there is no over the back, it's ON the back."

There's no "ON the back" either.

bainsey Sat Dec 31, 2011 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 809707)
There's no "ON the back" either.

True, though "on" doesn't perpetuate a myth like "over" does.

My son tried to tell me, "it's just slang, Dad." When I pointed out the downfall of this phrase, he asked me what I would call these rebounding fouls.

"Five choices (using a finger for each one): pushing, illegal contact, holding, blocking, or hand checking, whatever applies, though you probably won't see much blocking or hand checking on rebounds. Just pushing and illegal, mostly."

Of course, there could be intentional and flagrant, too. I can't recall ever seeing a double foul on a rebound, though I'm sure it's been done.

Jeremy Hohn Sat Dec 31, 2011 06:58pm

One of the announcers in the Georgetown/Providence game (the lady) stated that there was "continuation" on one of the and1 drives to the basket. Her partner quickly corrected her and stated it was in "the gather" of the try.

Tear came to my eye...:D

ILRef80 Sat Dec 31, 2011 08:10pm

And on the other half of the spectrum, we have Dan Dakich (during the Indiana/Ohio State game). Referring to a spot throw in: "2 things the inbounder has to know, 1 - he cannot move, or it's a travel." :mad:

WhistlesAndStripes Sat Dec 31, 2011 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILRef80 (Post 809769)
And on the other half of the spectrum, we have Dan Dakich (during the Indiana/Ohio State game). Referring to a spot throw in: "2 things the inbounder has to know, 1 - he cannot move, or it's a travel." :mad:

I was just about to post this one as well, but I wasn't sure who the announcer to credit with the ignorance was.

Welpe Sat Dec 31, 2011 08:29pm

Well to be fair, it doesn't help clarify matters when you see DI officials give the traveling signal for this violation.

SCalScoreKeeper Sat Dec 31, 2011 09:03pm

Listen to the commentator on this play from the end of the Wagner @ Santa Clara game.
Should Wagner’s circus fallaway buzzer beater have counted? - The Dagger - NCAABBlog - Yahoo! Sports

ga314ref Sun Jan 01, 2012 03:33am

He was...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 809782)
Listen to the commentator on this play from the end of the Wagner @ Santa Clara game.
Should Wagner’s circus fallaway buzzer beater have counted? - The Dagger - NCAABBlog - Yahoo! Sports

...pretty emphatic. My question is, was he right? Is that shot like a field-goal where if the ball passes over even the edge of the post (or, in this case, the corner of the backboard), it's as if it has passed over the full object?