The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

California too is a shot clock state at all levels and we very rarely have any issues.Usually the operators here are quick enough to catch their own mistakes if they make any.Only time I've ever had an issue with the shot clock was one time when we were the visiting school and the home school's shot clocks didn't work even after a visit from an electrician.The host school used an egg timer and we counted down possessions in intervals of 5.My question-does the backup device have to be visible to the officials on the floor so they can ensure its proper operation?
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 02:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfpdi View Post
Handing the ball to the wrong team happened last year in a local boys varsity game to a crew from our local board after a timeout late in the game. The visiting team erronously was given the ball to inbound, buried a three and their coach kept reminding the official it could not be corrected once the throw in ended. The home coach went ballistic, got T'd up and lost by 3.
That situation was discussed here. People wanted to give the visiting coach a 'T'.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
...many years ago when my sister played in Brooklyn, HS girls had a 30-second clock. And no backcourt violation.
We still play the 30 second shot clockfor girls HS. I believe you meant no 10 second count violation in the backcourt. We follow the NCAA women's rule on that too. Closely guarded is only on a held ball but anywhere on the court with a defender within 3 feet.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 03:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Love Those Izod Lacoste Uniforms, The Green Crocodile Is So Cute ...

Quote:
We still play the 30 second shot clock for girls HS. I believe you meant no 10 second count violation in the backcourt. We follow the NCAA women's rule on that too. Closely guarded is only on a held ball but anywhere on the court with a defender within 3 feet.
Similar to our girls private prep school rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
.My question-does the backup device have to be visible to the officials on the floor so they can ensure its proper operation?
The requirment for equipment (NCAA) is that two visible shot clocks, one at each end of the court, are mandatory. But the rule also provides "an alternate timing device shall be available when a visible shot clock malfunctions."

Any device that the referee deems reliable and fair to both teams is OK. When I have had problems with shot clock displays, I bring the coaches together, explain how we will proceed, and that has always worked.

Some schools have back-up displays. I was at a gym a couple of weeks ago that had the back-up displays in use (they sat on the floor instead of the usual ones that are mounted atop the backboards) but the game management knew the regular displays were broken before the game started.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not true. A layup is still two points. A dunk is only one point.

Years ago, didn't ESPN, or MTV, or some other cable network catering to the young adult demographic, have some type of basketball game where different spots on the court were worth differing numbers of points? Now that went over really well, didn't' it?
You're thinking of SlamBall, if I remember right it was on Spike or G4TV.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 09:46pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Exactly why I don't want to see a shot clock at the HS level.
+1

There are always cries from high school fans in our state to get a shot clock, particularly after a low-scoring, stall-ball game. Of course, those are few and far between.

My favorite rationale from the shot-clock pushers is that it will "get Maine kids more ready for the next level." Of course, the main reason why we don't have a ton of kids from my state playing college ball is because there's no shot clock here.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 09:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
+1

There are always cries from high school fans in our state to get a shot clock, particularly after a low-scoring, stall-ball game. Of course, those are few and far between.

My favorite rationale from the shot-clock pushers is that it will "get Maine kids more ready for the next level." Of course, the main reason why we don't have a ton of kids from my state playing college ball is because there's no shot clock here.
My main response to those calling for a shot clock is that it's a solution in search of a problem. The number of stall-ball games we see now is low enough that I don't think it's a justification for the widespread expense of buying shot clocks for every gym that's used (most schools around here would need to get two). It's like using a shotgun to kill a fly.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

In Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
A couple of years ago, I did the 4A Regionals at the local arena & on the girls' court the whole scoreboard malfunctioned barely into the 1st game of the tournament. For the rest of that day we used iPods/iPhones & stopwatches for game clock, shot clock, & TOs. For the shot clock, whoever was shot clock would count down the shot clock for the coaches to hear & if time ran out the PA announcer would say "buzz". For the game clock, the PA Announcer would announce by the minute the time left & then either "buzz" or "end of quarter/half/game" as well as count out the last ten seconds of the quarter.

Concerning the use of the shot clock, it is normally mandated by the state association, so it's they who have the final say as to what is acceptable & not concerning the display of the shot clock & it's use.

Generally for the shot clock display, either a display at both ends of the court or if a single display, the shot clock is to be opposite of the scorers' table.
The table instructions from the WIAA simply states that they must have an Alternative Timing Device available...no direction on what that device should be or how to indicate the lapse of time to those that need to know!
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
The table instructions from the WIAA simply states that they must have an Alternative Timing Device available...no direction on what that device should be or how to indicate the lapse of time to those that need to know!
The PA announcing the time left and the "buzz" was something thought up on the spot. The Court Manager & Tournament Director both approved of it. Also all coaches playing on the court were notified of the setup.

Last year we had a HS Girls' JV Game in the old JH Gym (3/4 court with no division line) since there was no shot clock present the officials & coaches agreed to play modified rules compared to normal. The girls had the 10 sec. BC & of course no shot clock. I had both my iPod & a stop watch available to use as a shot clock but the floor officials & coaches decided to try the game without the shot clock.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
You probably worked that 4A Regional since I know there were crews from Spokane, Wenatchee, Tri-Cities, & Yakima that worked it.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Now that you remind me...

Quote:
We still play the 30 second shot clockfor girls HS. I believe you meant no 10 second count violation in the backcourt. We follow the NCAA women's rule on that too. Closely guarded is only on a held ball but anywhere on the court with a defender within 3 feet.
...that was one of the rules as well, but I could swear they also didn't have BC violations.