The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Table Authority and 5th Foul

I was asked this question yesterday by a co-worker who attended a game the night before, now it has me thinking.

1. Player B1 commits a foul, official reports it, play resumes.
2. Team A throws the ball in, A1 scores a basket but while the ball is in flight, the table buzzes the horn.

Apparently the officials at that point stopped the game, confirmed the 5th foul on B1, B1 left the game, and the officials reset the action with Team A throwing the ball in from the original spot. Basket was not awarded.

My thinking is two-fold:

1. The table should not have buzzed the horn during the shot and should have waited until a dead ball, but it begs the question, "When does the table have authority to sound the horn and interrupt play?"

2. Secondly, based on how I read correctable errors, the basket should have counted. The DQ player would be removed and play would resume from the POI.

Finally, if the scenario continued on, how would you handle a sixth foul by Player B1 had he fouled on the play?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:40am
Do not give a damn!!

A couple of things first.

This is not a correctable error. This is a play referenced in the casebook and all points are legal. The horn being sounded may have no significance on the play unless if affects the players (they stop). The shot was in the air so the points certainly should have counted. Technically they could have stopped the game after that to inform the officials that a mistake had been made. It really would not matter in this situation unless the shot was missed.

If there was a 6th foul you treat it like any other foul, unless the player came back in after being DQ'd. You only can remove them when properly informed. If you do not know, we have to live with all the consequences like it was never their 5th foul.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Yes, table should have waited for a dead ball. But I would also accept (though may not be supported by rule) the table sounding the horn during a lull in action (ball being walked up court; team setting up a play; ball at disposal for throw-in or free throw).

You are right about how the play should have been handled. Basket good, remove DQ'd player, Team B with end-line throw-in.

If player would have received a 6th foul later there is no remedy. Just remove player and continue game.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I was asked this question yesterday by a co-worker who attended a game the night before, now it has me thinking.

2. Team A throws the ball in, A1 scores a basket but while the ball is in flight, the table buzzes the horn.

Apparently the officials at that point stopped the game, confirmed the 5th foul on B1, B1 left the game, and the officials reset the action with Team A throwing the ball in from the original spot. Basket was not awarded.

My thinking is two-fold:

1. The table should not have buzzed the horn during the shot and should have waited until a dead ball, but it begs the question, "When does the table have authority to sound the horn and interrupt play?"

2. Secondly, based on how I read correctable errors, the basket should have counted. The DQ player would be removed and play would resume from the POI.

Finally, if the scenario continued on, how would you handle a sixth foul by Player B1 had he fouled on the play?

1) When the ball is dead or at the disposal of or in control of team B.

2) It's not a CE. The rest of this statement is correct.

3) Count the 6th foul, get the player out, resume with the action resulting from the 6th foul (FTs or throw in). The player isn't DQd until the officials are notified, and if they're not notified until the 6th (or 7th...) foul, then whatever happened, happened.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My thinking is two-fold:

The Horn doesn't make the ball dead, the whistle makes the ball dead. So if the officials blew their whistles while the ball was in flight, that was on the officiating crew. Secondly, they can't resume at POI by giving the ball to Team A because the POI was the ball in flight, so it goes AP arrow.

The officials should have waited until the result of the shot was completed, the scoretable can buzz the horn whenever they realize their mistake but it's up to us to recognize a good spot to actually make the ball dead. The ball in flight is probably the worst time.

Last edited by Toren; Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 11:49am.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
The Horn doesn't make the ball dead, the whistle makes the ball dead. So if the officials blew their whistles while the ball was in flight, that was their error. Secondly, they can't resume at POI by giving the ball to Team A because the POI was the ball in flight, so it goes AP arrow.
The ball went through the basket so POI for this sitch is a endline throw-in for Team B.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The ball went through the basket so POI for this sitch is a endline throw-in for Team B.
Correct but from the OP it reads like the officials stopped play while ball was in flight before the ball went through the basket.

Then they decided to ignore the POI and just give the ball to Team A on a throw in, no points awarded.

So they should have either gone POI, AP throw in, before the ball went through the basket OR

As you suggest, after the ball went through the basket so endline throw-in for Team B.

They didn't do either.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:05pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Correct but from the OP it reads like the officials stopped play while ball was in flight before the ball went through the basket.

Then they decided to ignore the POI and just give the ball to Team A on a throw in, no points awarded.

So they should have either gone POI, AP throw in, before the ball went through the basket OR

As you suggest, after the ball went through the basket so endline throw-in for Team B.

They didn't do either.
What?

They should have:

Counted the basket, DQ'd B1, and resumed play at the POI (throw-in for Team B).
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
What?

They should have:

Counted the basket, DQ'd B1, and resumed play at the POI (throw-in for Team B).
I agree. They should have.

But if the ball is dead by rule when the whistle blows and the whistle blew during the flight of the ball. You can't just ignore that fact.

So if I'm interpreting the OP correctly, we don't have a made basket, we have an AP throw in. The whistle sounded before the ball went through the goal.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Horn doesn't make the ball dead, the whistle makes the ball dead. So if the officials blew their whistles while the ball was in flight, that was on the officiating crew.
Ah no, it doesn't.

The only time a whistle by an official causes the ball to be dead when a shot is in flight is when a PC foul occurs.

Even if the officials had blown the whistle instead of the horn sounding, the ball would still not have become dead.

Quote:
So if I'm interpreting the OP correctly, we don't have a made basket, we have an AP throw in. The whistle sounded before the ball went through the goal.

You're not. Count the basket, give the ball to the opponent for a endline throw-in.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

But if the ball is dead by rule when the whistle blows and the whistle blew during the flight of the ball. You can't just ignore that fact.

So when the whistle sounds for a foul while a shot is in flight you always wave off the made basket?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:14pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Ah no, it doesn't.

The only time a whistle by an official causes the ball to be dead when a shot is in flight is when a PC foul occurs.

Even if the officials had blown the whistle instead of the horn sounding, the ball would still not have become dead.

You're not. Count the basket, give the ball to the opponent for a endline throw-in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So when the whistle sounds for a foul while a shot is in flight you always wave off the made basket?
Quote:

As Tony and BNR are saying...

Check out 6-7.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with the correctable error part, I guess I should have stated that I didn't believe this was a correctable error so therefore anything that occurred should be counted.

Does anyone address with the table crew before game when they should use the horn to alert you? I would guess most players would stop playing when they heard the horn.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Apparently the officials at that point stopped the game
So everyone agrees the officials stopped the game during the flight of the ball?

And, everyone is saying, count the basket and POI is endline throw in? Am I reading everyone correctly?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does anyone address with the table crew before game when they should use the horn to alert you? I would guess most players would stop playing when they heard the horn.
I never have, it's so infrequent, I would think it would cause more problems than solve.

I've seen plenty of horns go off for substitutes when the ball is in play already and we just continue playing. I've also seen officials stop play and inbound the ball again and tell the substitute and the table they cannot sub right now.