The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 02:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Stolen from YouTube....

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this. I was laughing out loud. Not sure if anyone's ever posted this, so I will here:

New York High School Basketball Coaches Chew The Ref's Ass - YouTube
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 02:28am
We don't rent pigs

"I didn't even curse!"

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 02:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

My fantasy answer to one of the lines:

"It's the first time in 22 years of coaching...."

"No it isn't."

I whacked a coach during a Christmas tournament two years ago and he told me, "That's only my third technical in 14 years." When I got together with a group of officials at the watering hole afterwards, there were 6 technicals in the last 5 years *at my table*.

So anytime a coach uses a line like that, I assume they're lying or incredibly forgetful.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Embedded for convenience

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 08:06am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Nice! Entertaining!

"Whaaaaat?"
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 08:40am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I guess when it comes to coaches, EVERYONE is That Guy.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 09:20am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
"I didn't even curse!"
... "I didn't say anything."
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 09:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
My fantasy answer to one of the lines:

"It's the first time in 22 years of coaching...."

"No it isn't."

I whacked a coach during a Christmas tournament two years ago and he told me, "That's only my third technical in 14 years." When I got together with a group of officials at the watering hole afterwards, there were 6 technicals in the last 5 years *at my table*.

So anytime a coach uses a line like that, I assume they're lying or incredibly forgetful.
One season I gave a notoriously a-hole coach a T in the first 4 minutes of the first game of the season. I didn't have him again for another 7-8 weeks. He runs into me in the hallway before the game and says "that's the only T I have had all season" and to which I responded (in my early years before I had a filter) "I doubt that".

Needless to say, that evening he became the only coach I ever tossed by giving back-to-back T's. And it occurred while his team was up by 40 points in the 3rd quarter during a dead ball in which his team was about to shoot 2 free throws following an intentional foul by the opposing team.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this. I was laughing out loud. Not sure if anyone's ever posted this, so I will here:

New York High School Basketball Coaches Chew The Ref's *** - YouTube

Ha Ha ha !! Excellent Rich, thanks for the Christmas present!
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 10:35am
Back from the DL

Great stuff! My thoughts...

0:23 "But even if you're bobbling or moving with the ball, that's a travel! .... You have to get possession first? I've never heard that."

Really? The first thing we were taught in ref school was the concept of CONTROL, and how so many things are affected by it.

1:09 Did the official have his hands up for a whack?

1:44 "There's a flow to this game!"

Not if the rules are broken.

2:19 If that coach got a T earlier, why is he still on his feet? Different rules in New York, I assume.

And one for the coach...

0:15 "If the kid's standing in the paint, you can't say 'you gotta (get out)' ... that's a three-second call."

If that's what happened, that's a legitimate beef, IMO.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 10:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Last night I had a team whose center just couldn't help herself -- she committed 2 quick fouls and her coach yanked her. He crawled up my butt over the second foul (which, BTW, was a no brainer on-the-back on a rebound foul that displaced the player with position), calling it a touch foul and saying that "you call that touch foul at that end and our players have forearms all over them all the time." By that point (we were late in the first quarter) we had already called 7 fouls against the visiting team and the 2 on the center were the only fouls against his team in the game (the coaches do it, why can't I? -- no I didn't say it to him, although I was *sorely* tempted). He really crawled up my butt to the point where I finally had to tell him that I heard him and that I had heard enough.

The girl came back in during the second quarter and promptly picked up her third foul and came out.

She came back in midway through the third quarter and promptly picked up her fourth when she contested a shot she had no business contesting. Out she went.

She came back in with 6 minutes left in the game and fouled out 2 a few trips later when she committed a foul almost 80 feet from the basket.

She never adjusted her style (whatever it was) and probably played less than 8 minutes of the game. Her team still won handily.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
And one for the coach...

0:15 "If the kid's standing in the paint, you can't say 'you gotta (get out)' ... that's a three-second call."

If that's what happened, that's a legitimate beef, IMO.
Well, that's what we're taught to do where I live (in regards to 3 seconds). Advise, advise, advise, advise, then penalize.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Well, that's what we're taught to do where I live (in regards to 3 seconds). Advise, advise, advise, advise, then penalize.
I prefer, "Keep moving, keep moving" said in that player's direction. That doesn't imply that someone's in there too long at the moment and could be just vague enough to be a banana for the HM.

I had a 3-second violation in my first game and I don't think I've had one in a game since. I've had plenty of people yell it, usually when the ball is bouncing on the rim after a shot attempt.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
4 warnings before calling?

Personally I tell guys to get out but not so noticeably that the coach actually notices that I'm doing it. But I will call 3 seconds if I have to, even without first warning. Depends on the situation.

In the video, the coach wasn't obnoxious in his approch and he presented a legitimate gripe (assuming that's what happened) so I would definitely keep an eye out for it.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 11:16am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
4 warnings before calling?

Personally I tell guys to get out but not so noticeably that the coach actually notices that I'm doing it. But I will call 3 seconds if I have to, even without first warning.
There it is. It looks like Roman Law reigns again.

If I see a legitimate attempt (and execution) to get out of the lane, I'll hold that call. If I see no attempt, it's a violation. Sometimes, people only learn via consequences. I agree with the coach in this video; it's not our job to coach. Just make the call.