The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Thankfully it was not my game. I was in the stands watching.
I realize you described 'Per rule procedures'. Right after the play ALL 3 officials are in DEEEEEP do-do. About 99% of Coaches (and officials) wouldn't know the correct ruling. So why not, for the good of the game, just do a redo? That is what they did. They said it was a correctable error.
Because ignorance is no excuse.
Because you further complicate things with another mistake.

Quote:
How would you tell the Home Coach... "We messed up and gave the ball to your team. Then we messed up an allowed your team to commit a backcourt violation. Then your team scored 2 points for the other team. But Hey, don't be mad at us. At least you get the ball and you can run the endline"
Exactly, although I would address it with the coach without the sarcasm.

Quote:
I have talked to 5 oficials so far and all would do a redo.
Well, now you've talked to 6 and 5 would do a redo.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 12:56pm.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:15pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Did the crew put the consumed time back on the clock? If they didn't, then it's not really a re-do anyway.

This isn't a re-do, as everyone here has said. It's an official's mistake and it's not correctable. Would you go back and call a travel that you missed 6 seconds earlier? If not, why would you think this is any different?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Did the crew put the consumed time back on the clock? If they didn't, then it's not really a re-do anyway.

This isn't a re-do, as everyone here has said. It's an official's mistake and it's not correctable. Would you go back and call a travel that you missed 6 seconds earlier? If not, why would you think this is any different?
I am on the side of the officials on this site. Especially when it is a varsity game. They should know and enforce the rules as written. I do not have the power of persuasion. I have bent and broke rules inorder to blend in with the mass majority.
Instead, they took the easy path. Yes... they put time back on the clock. When I had the discussion with other officials I used your 'travel' example as well.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't mind stirring the pot on this web site. But there is no way I am going to submit this question to the Rule interpreter.
I hear all about this Game Management stuff.
That is not game management as most of us here use it.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 01:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Change the situation a little bit. What if everyone involved was unaware of what was going on in this situation? A is attacking the wrong goal, B is defending the wrong goal. Would 5.2.1 F apply? It deals with jumpers facing the wrong way to start the game, but the concept is the same.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 01:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I would bet that the assignor/rules interperter in my area would not know the correct procedure. Everybody on the court was happy with the do over.
I can guarantee you my assigner would bust my balls for only one of the following mistakes:
1. giving the ball to the wrong team.
2. Missing the BC violation.
3. Really screwing up and taking away the points.

#3 is what would get me into the most trouble. #1 and #2 are easy to do in confusion, but #3 is inexcusable.

As for the coach whose team scored in the wrong basket, what's he really going to complain about? It's not like the officials threw a live ball through his opponent's basket.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would bet that the assignor/rules interperter in my area would not know the correct procedure. Everybody on the court was happy with the do over.
What? That is a bet you would lose. (assuming you are talking about the rules interperter and assignors I am familar with) I can assure you that they know the correct ruling and procedure.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

What would CK do?

So CK. if you were one of the officials in this play, how would you handle it?

Last edited by Zoochy; Sat Dec 24, 2011 at 10:10am.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Zoochy,

The correct procedure per rule, which is also THE procedure for the good of the game, is count basket for visiting team, award ball to home team. As an official for this game, that is what I would do. I would bring coaches to table to clear up confusion of play. This would be the time as a crew we own up to the mistake. No redo, no correctable error. Sucks for us, but can't go wrong with the rule book.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Count the basket for V (footnote in the book) and move on. The throwin cannot be corrected because the throwin had ended. The BC violation was missed; it was missed, H scores for V, count the basket for V. Recognized, humbly explain and move on. This is why I stand with the ball in an arm or front or back of my body in the direction the ball is going after any T.O. or delay in getting the ball back in play when I am the official staying with the ball. My response was not a judgement. As to how I would of handled it, by the rules. Do over's do not exsist and should not happen. What I took exception to was this statement

Quote:
And I stand by my previous post.

CK
Old Sun Dec 25, 2011, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Pre-game it and then do it

In our pre-game, I tell my partner(s) that after acknowledging the request for a time-out, and before any of us reports the time-out to the table, we will verify with each other, the disposition of the ball, after the time-out. And I tell them that coming out of the time-out, before we administer the subsequent action - we will again verify the disposition of the ball - throw-in, spot throw-in, run the endline, freethrow(s), shooter's number, number of shots remaining.
I've found that this overcomes the blank looks, and puzzled stares that come with tired officials, who are hoping and begging that the basketball gods will enlighten their partners as to what's next.

Last edited by Rob1968; Sun Dec 25, 2011 at 12:33am. Reason: confusing sentence structure
Old Sun Dec 25, 2011, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

I can think of literally dozens of officials who I know that would simply "Make it right" by having a do-over and correcting things. They want to keep coaches on their good side, and most coaches (Who don't know the rules) would want most officials to just have a do-over, so that's what they would do. I imagine I would encounter significant resistance if I tried to handle this by rule as everyone has described.
Old Sun Dec 25, 2011, 05:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I can think of literally dozens of officials who I know that would simply "Make it right" by having a do-over and correcting things. They want to keep coaches on their good side, and most coaches (Who don't know the rules) would want most officials to just have a do-over, so that's what they would do. I imagine I would encounter significant resistance if I tried to handle this by rule as everyone has described.
Seriously, what's the coach going to say? His players just ran the wrong way and scored in the wrong basket after you inadvertently gave them a gift. I would go by the rule, tell him the rules are clear, and play on. If he complains, I'd politely remind him that I wasn't the one who put the ball in his opponents' basket. After that, we're putting the ball in play and I'm done listening.

Are there officials here who would go with the "redo"? Probably, and some of them are probably varsity guys. Me, I'll have an easier time explaining why I stuck with the rule than trying to explain why I ignored the rule because it "just didn't seem right."
Old Sun Dec 25, 2011, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I find it hard to believe that there would be many officials in a locality that would redo unless this play happens often.

Then again, how many times do you hear a fellow official say they would do things one way yet end up doing the opposite.