The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Play: Team A scores a basket and ball rolls onto the court. Player B1 gets ball and passes to B2 who is out of bounds. As B1 releases ball, B2 jumps onto court & catches ball.

Partner calls violation and gives ball back to Team A. I thought it looked funny but didn't think the ball was at the disposal of Team B yet. What's your thoughts?
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I would've let B2 go back out of bounds to complete the throw in.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I would've let B2 go back out of bounds to complete the throw in.
me2
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodego
Play: Team A scores a basket and ball rolls onto the court. Player B1 gets ball and passes to B2 who is out of bounds. As B1 releases ball, B2 jumps onto court & catches ball.

Partner calls violation and gives ball back to Team A. I thought it looked funny but didn't think the ball was at the disposal of Team B yet. What's your thoughts?
me3 (spirit and intent of the rule)

Z
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Uhhmmm...disposal or not, what's the violation here?
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Welllll....the violation would be that the player is out of bounds since they left the floor from out of bounds and by the 'you are where you was' principle they are out of bounds. Not sure I would have called it, I would have to see it.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 10:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Quote:
Quote:

Welllll....the violation would be that the player is out of bounds since they left the floor from out of bounds and by the 'you are where you was' principle they are out of bounds. Not sure I would have called it, I would have to see it.
That's not how I read it.
After a basket, the ball goes to B1 who is standing in bounds. B still needs to do the throwin. B1 throws to B2, who jumps in the middle of the throw to the inbounds side of the court, lands, and then catches the ball.
I'd probably start my count at this point, but I don't see a violation yet.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Quote:
Quote:

That's not how I read it.
After a basket, the ball goes to B1 who is standing in bounds. B still needs to do the throwin. B1 throws to B2, who jumps in the middle of the throw to the inbounds side of the court, lands, and then catches the ball.
I'd probably start my count at this point, but I don't see a violation yet.
My take too.

Maybe we're just being too pedantic?
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I have a whistle.

Delay of game warning on A. Am I the only one that read, "A1 makes the basket then rolls the ball on the floor?"
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
I have a whistle.

Delay of game warning on A. Am I the only one that read, "A1 makes the basket then rolls the ball on the floor?"
Apparently.

Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a whistle.

The way I read it, the ball rolls on its own after going through the hoop. There is no mention of any A player rolling the ball.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Quote:
I have a whistle.

The way I read it, the ball rolls on its own after going through the hoop. There is no mention of any A player rolling the ball.
Oops!