The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-in... Backcourt... Made Basket??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84948-throw-backcourt-made-basket.html)

Zoochy Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:15pm

Throw-in... Backcourt... Made Basket???

Varsity Girls game.
Teams are coming out of a time out with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Visiting team has the throw-in from their backcourt endline. Officials give the ball to the Home team. :eek: Home team in bounds the ball. Visiting Coach is yelling "It's our ball". Home team has the ball in their front court but continues to dribble the ball in the wrong direction. They dribble past the midcourt line. :eek: The visiting coach is still yelling. Home team continues to the wrong basket and put the ball into the basket. :eek: Both teams are confused. Finally the official blows the whistle to stop the clock. The whole process takes 6 seconds.
What is the correct procedure per rule?
What is THE procedure per 'the good of the game'? :rolleyes:

BillyMac Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:18pm

Let's Keep It Simple ...

Backcourt violation?

BktBallRef Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:28pm

THere is no correct procedure.

Giving the ball to the wrong team for the throw-in can't be corrected.

They missed the BC violation.

Home score a basket for the visitors.

Count the basket and let's roll.

SNIPERBBB Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:26pm

7.6.6 SITUATION A:

Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. The administering official by mistake, puts the ball at B1's disposal. B1 completes the throw-in and Team B subsequently scores a goal.

RULING: No correction can be made for the mistake by the official after the throw-in ends.

Adam Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 807637)

+1

Just make sure to give home team the ball back for an end line throw in after they score in the wrong basket.

refiator Fri Dec 23, 2011 01:13am

Quote:

And put on a fake mustache so no one recognizes you after the game
Look at the bright side...That will never happen again for those officials :cool:

Zoochy Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:43am

Quote:

Thankfully it was not my game. I was in the stands watching.
I realize you described 'Per rule procedures'. Right after the play ALL 3 officials are in DEEEEEP do-do. About 99% of Coaches (and officials) wouldn't know the correct ruling. So why not, for the good of the game, just do a redo? That is what they did. They said it was a correctable error.
How would you tell the Home Coach... "We messed up and gave the ball to your team. Then we messed up an allowed your team to commit a backcourt violation. Then your team scored 2 points for the other team. But Hey, don't be mad at us. At least you get the ball and you can run the endline:rolleyes:"
I have talked to 5 oficials so far and all would do a redo.

JugglingReferee Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 807773)
I realize you described 'Per rule procedures'. Right after the play ALL 3 officials are in DEEEEEP do-do. About 99% of Coaches (and officials) wouldn't know the correct ruling. So why not, for the good of the game, just do a redo? That is what they did. They said it was a correctable error.
How would you tell the Home Coach... "We messed up and gave the ball to your team. Then we messed up an allowed your team to commit a backcourt violation. Then your team scored 2 points for the other team. But Hey, don't be mad at us. At least you get the ball and you can run the endline:rolleyes:"

There is no authority to do a re-do. A re-do is a wrong call. Just follow the rule.

Rich Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:54am

Quote:

I agree that the rule is probably too restrictive and the officials *should* be allowed to fix this within a reasonable amount of time -- but the NFHS has actually ruled recently to make this as restrictive as possible and who am I (as one official) to go against their wishes (and by association, the wishes of my state office)?

Raymond Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:11am

Quote:

How would you tell the Home Coach... "We messed up and gave the ball to your team. Then we messed up an allowed your team to commit a backcourt violation. Then your team scored 2 points for the other team. But Hey, don't be mad at us. ....

Yes, they can be mad at us. My last line would have been "we screwed this play up all the way around but now we are going adjudicate it by the rules and move on."

And if this is a Varsity game I would say a lot more officials than 1% would know the correct ruling. If fact all it would take is 33% to know the correct ruling. ;)

Zoochy Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 807775)
I agree that the rule is probably too restrictive and the officials *should* be allowed to fix this within a reasonable amount of time -- but the NFHS has actually ruled recently to make this as restrictive as possible and who am I (as one official) to go against their wishes (and by association, the wishes of my state office)?

I would bet that the assignor/rules interperter in my area would not know the correct procedure. Everybody on the court was happy with the do over.

Smitty Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 807790)
I would bet that the assignor/rules interperter in my area would not know the correct procedure. Everybody on the court was happy with the do over.

That's frightening.

Raymond Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 807790)

Making everyone happy by mis-applying a rule is not always a recipe for success. I can understand for a brief instant thinking "hey, let's do a do-over", but after some conversation amongst the crew and especially after the fact with a rules interpreter, there should be a correct ruling.

Zoochy Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 807794)
Making everyone happy by mis-applying a rule is not always a recipe for success. I can understand for a brief instant thinking "hey, let's do a do-over", but after some conversation amongst the crew and especially after the fact with a rules interpreter should lead to a correct ruling.

I don't mind stirring the pot on this web site. But there is no way I am going to submit this question to the Rule interpreter.
I hear all about this Game Management stuff.

fullor30 Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:38am

Quote:

A few years ago I was during a boys varsity summer league through a clinic, I wanted to get in front of a certain assigner to break into his conference, one of the best in area. Clinician who was running clinic made sure I was on assigners game to help me out. 110 in gym, my 3-4 game of night and I'm new lead with about 7 seconds to go in a one point game, team losing has ball. Inbounded at endline and now almost near division line and whistle blows from trail. I can smell trouble. I'm drifting off, like a dummy and not paying attention. New trail says clock never started, Takes ball back to endline for a 'redo':(:(

If paying attention, could have ridden to the rescue and stopped \'redo\' C also asleep at wheel.

Every time I hear redo, I get quesy.

Still trying to get in conference