The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 01:13am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 133
Undershirts

I know what the rule states for undershirts. Does that only apply if it has sleeves? Had a kid with blue uniform with white trim on the side. Is the trim considered torso making white undershirt legal? If not what about white sleeveless undershirt where only the white is showing above neckline. We allowed the white, but made the kid with blue undershirt take his off.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 01:36am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,942
It applies if it can be seen or comes out of the jersey. I would not nit pick this if a tank top style undershirt is exposed slightly if the jersey is moving or adjusted.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 02:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
I know what the rule states for undershirts. Does that only apply if it has sleeves? Had a kid with blue uniform with white trim on the side. Is the trim considered torso making white undershirt legal? If not what about white sleeveless undershirt where only the white is showing above neckline. We allowed the white, but made the kid with blue undershirt take his off.
Had a similar experience Saturday. BV is warming up and I'm watching the visiting team warm up. Immediately I notice a white undershirt with about 5" long sleeves, sticking out of a dark green uniform. Go to visiting coach and point out the "loud" shirt. Coach says no problem we'll send them to the locker room and get it removed. Next game, same deal basically except I'm the ref checking the book and counting female varsity players. Other official (who was refffing with me last game) comes to me and says, "hey two of those girls have white sports bras sticking out of their uniforms." I say, "we're not going there!"
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 04:08am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
I know what the rule states for undershirts. Does that only apply if it has sleeves? Had a kid with blue uniform with white trim on the side. Is the trim considered torso making white undershirt legal? If not what about white sleeveless undershirt where only the white is showing above neckline. We allowed the white, but made the kid with blue undershirt take his off.
Please check the definition section of the book for the "torso" of the jersey and its color requirements. 3-4-1
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 09:22am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
I know what the rule states for undershirts. Does that only apply if it has sleeves? Had a kid with blue uniform with white trim on the side. Is the trim considered torso making white undershirt legal? If not what about white sleeveless undershirt where only the white is showing above neckline. We allowed the white, but made the kid with blue undershirt take his off.
Exactly the opposite of what should have happened.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 09:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
We allowed the white, but made the kid with blue undershirt take his off.
We sometimes allow an undershirt that's just slightly visible above the collar.

But why would you make a kid with a blue jersey take a blue undershirt off?
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 06:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 20,852
Fashion Police Internal Affairs Agent ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
We sometimes allow an undershirt that's just slightly visible above the collar.
Agree. Don't be a, um, let's see, carpenter. Don't be a carpenter.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 07:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,381
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Did you really mean....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. Don't be a, um, let's see, carpenter. Don't be a carpenter.
__________________
Never hit a piñata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:20am
Back from the DL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,540
If I'm working a rec league or travel game, these kids could wear #88 with a paisley undershirt and untucked jersey for all I care. If my board assigns me, though, it is expected the undershirt rule is enforced at all levels.

I had a few undershirts I had to take care of today. Middle school boys, there were a few white T-shirts with maroon uniforms. (One had a maroon T, so that tells me someone knows the rule.) The white Ts had to go. On the home side, I paused to consider whether to rule a removal of a black UA sleeveless T from under a white jersey, but the jersey was so low cut on this kid that the black under the white was unavoidable. I couldn't enforce one side without the other. It had to go.

Thank God no-one wore any T-shirts for the girls game! Those ones can get dramatic to deal with.
__________________
Confidence is a vehicle, not a destination.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 03:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
If I'm working a rec league or travel game, these kids could wear #88 with a paisley undershirt and untucked jersey for all I care. If my board assigns me, though, it is expected the undershirt rule is enforced at all levels.

I had a few undershirts I had to take care of today. Middle school boys, there were a few white T-shirts with maroon uniforms. (One had a maroon T, so that tells me someone knows the rule.) The white Ts had to go. On the home side, I paused to consider whether to rule a removal of a black UA sleeveless T from under a white jersey, but the jersey was so low cut on this kid that the black under the white was unavoidable. I couldn't enforce one side without the other. It had to go.

Thank God no-one wore any T-shirts for the girls game! Those ones can get dramatic to deal with.
Our interpreter has repeatedly told us if there aren't visible sleeves then it isn't an undershirt. i believe that came out of an IAABO interpreter's conference call but don't quote me on that.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Shhhhh...he'll hear you and go ape$hit.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
That's so dense.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Lead?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
Lead?
Or Center?

Or Trail?
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 09:04pm
This IS My Social Life
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at L, T, or C
Posts: 2,379
Don't Plumb that Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Hey, hey, hey there. Etymologically speaking, that's getting kinda close.

(heading back to the gym tomorrow where three or so years ago I picked up the Baby Ruth-looking item...after a long day of working with it, it's not really all that welcome to find on a basketball court)
__________________
Making Every Effort to Be in the Right Place at the Right Time, Looking at the Right Thing to Make the Right Call
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
undershirts chseagle Basketball 13 Mon Jan 24, 2011 05:00pm
Undershirts? AlaskaReffin Basketball 29 Mon Oct 11, 2010 03:07pm
undershirts... vbzebra Basketball 6 Sun Dec 06, 2009 02:42pm
Undershirts lukealex Football 5 Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:28pm
contrasting undershirts 26 Year Gap Basketball 9 Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:12am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1