The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Undershirts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84683-undershirts.html)

cmhjordan23 Tue Dec 20, 2011 01:13am

Undershirts

I know what the rule states for undershirts. Does that only apply if it has sleeves? Had a kid with blue uniform with white trim on the side. Is the trim considered torso making white undershirt legal? If not what about white sleeveless undershirt where only the white is showing above neckline. We allowed the white, but made the kid with blue undershirt take his off.

JRutledge Tue Dec 20, 2011 01:36am

It applies if it can be seen or comes out of the jersey. I would not nit pick this if a tank top style undershirt is exposed slightly if the jersey is moving or adjusted.

Peace

Loudwhistle2 Tue Dec 20, 2011 02:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 806247)
I know what the rule states for undershirts. Does that only apply if it has sleeves? Had a kid with blue uniform with white trim on the side. Is the trim considered torso making white undershirt legal? If not what about white sleeveless undershirt where only the white is showing above neckline. We allowed the white, but made the kid with blue undershirt take his off.

Had a similar experience Saturday. BV is warming up and I'm watching the visiting team warm up. Immediately I notice a white undershirt with about 5" long sleeves, sticking out of a dark green uniform. Go to visiting coach and point out the "loud" shirt. Coach says no problem we'll send them to the locker room and get it removed. Next game, same deal basically except I'm the ref checking the book and counting female varsity players. Other official (who was refffing with me last game) comes to me and says, "hey two of those girls have white sports bras sticking out of their uniforms." I say, "we're not going there!" :D

Nevadaref Tue Dec 20, 2011 04:08am

Quote:

Please check the definition section of the book for the "torso" of the jersey and its color requirements. 3-4-1 ;)

bob jenkins Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:22am

Quote:

Exactly the opposite of what should have happened.

BktBallRef Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:52am

Quote:

We allowed the white, but made the kid with blue undershirt take his off.

We sometimes allow an undershirt that's just slightly visible above the collar.

But why would you make a kid with a blue jersey take a blue undershirt off?

BillyMac Tue Dec 20, 2011 06:17pm

Fashion Police Internal Affairs Agent ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 806387)
We sometimes allow an undershirt that's just slightly visible above the collar.

Agree. Don't be a, um, let's see, carpenter. Don't be a carpenter.

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 20, 2011 07:10pm

Did you really mean....

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 806606)
Agree. Don't be a, um, let's see, carpenter. Don't be a carpenter.

http://www.webelements.com/_media/icons/symbols/Pb.jpg

bainsey Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:20am

If I'm working a rec league or travel game, these kids could wear #88 with a paisley undershirt and untucked jersey for all I care. If my board assigns me, though, it is expected the undershirt rule is enforced at all levels.

I had a few undershirts I had to take care of today. Middle school boys, there were a few white T-shirts with maroon uniforms. (One had a maroon T, so that tells me someone knows the rule.) The white Ts had to go. On the home side, I paused to consider whether to rule a removal of a black UA sleeveless T from under a white jersey, but the jersey was so low cut on this kid that the black under the white was unavoidable. I couldn't enforce one side without the other. It had to go.

Thank God no-one wore any T-shirts for the girls game! Those ones can get dramatic to deal with.

constable Wed Dec 21, 2011 03:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 806775)
If I'm working a rec league or travel game, these kids could wear #88 with a paisley undershirt and untucked jersey for all I care. If my board assigns me, though, it is expected the undershirt rule is enforced at all levels.

I had a few undershirts I had to take care of today. Middle school boys, there were a few white T-shirts with maroon uniforms. (One had a maroon T, so that tells me someone knows the rule.) The white Ts had to go. On the home side, I paused to consider whether to rule a removal of a black UA sleeveless T from under a white jersey, but the jersey was so low cut on this kid that the black under the white was unavoidable. I couldn't enforce one side without the other. It had to go.

Thank God no-one wore any T-shirts for the girls game! Those ones can get dramatic to deal with.

Our interpreter has repeatedly told us if there aren't visible sleeves then it isn't an undershirt. i believe that came out of an IAABO interpreter's conference call but don't quote me on that.

BktBallRef Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 806633)

Shhhhh...he'll hear you and go ape$hit.

mbyron Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:43am

Quote:

That's so dense.

ga314ref Wed Dec 21, 2011 07:44pm

Quote:

Lead?

mbyron Wed Dec 21, 2011 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga314ref (Post 807184)
Lead?

Or Center?

Or Trail?

Freddy Wed Dec 21, 2011 09:04pm

Don't Plumb that Bob

Quote:

Hey, hey, hey there. Etymologically speaking, that's getting kinda close. :mad::D

(heading back to the gym tomorrow where three or so years ago I picked up the Baby Ruth-looking item...after a long day of working with it, it's not really all that welcome to find on a basketball court)