The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Happy Mother's Day ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If your partner jumped off the Empire State Building, would you jump off the Empire State Building?
Hi Mom.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
So... HS pregame, your partners states that he "doesnt like defenders sliding under the rim to take charges. It causes many injuries to the airborne shooter." So he will be calling that play like an arc play
My response: "Are you talking about a defender who slides in AFTER the shooter has left the floor? - which is a block - or are you talking about a defender who has established LGP under the rim - which would be a charge?

Partner: "Both."

My response: "OK. Can I ask what other rules you aren't going to follow tonight? 3pt line? 5 players for each team? Traveling?"........

then I would wait for his lame excuse...and go work the game like I normally do.

when a coach complains to me that my call wasn't consistent with the previous call, i would just him "that was clearly a charge. feel free to talk to my partner about his calls. he'll be happy to give you his explanation".
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Turn it into a "blarge" !
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 02:00am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hi Mom.
So sorry. Had no idea your mother had jumped off the Empire State Building.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Wait, I thought it was supposed to be a bridge. I don't have my parenting manual with me.
It's in the IAABO parenting manual.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=tref;804743]What I learned (already knew) was that I need to speak up when I dont agree with something said in pregame, no matter who says it!![QUOTE]

If the guy has "major cred" witht he coaches, it's not going to be an issue for you or the crew, and the rest of the story from that game seems to bear that out. People like that are not going to change their minds or opinions if you "speak your mind" in a pre-game. It is really, really hard to change others unless they are open to it. Even if they are 100% wrong, unless they are aware that they are penalized for doing so, either by their assignments or respect from partners/coaches, they will never change, and you get nothing in return for your efforts.

Officiating is supposed to be black and white, but like life, it never really is. The question you pose is great: what should I do in that situation. Unfortunately, there is no best answer. Sounds like you should just call the rule book and live with the inconsistency. Nobody goes out there and tries to do the wrong thing: by trying to be consistent you would be doing what you think is wrong per the rule book. At least you will then feel good about yourself, and have controlled what you can.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Officiating is supposed to be black and white, but like life, it never really is. The question you pose is great: what should I do in that situation. Unfortunately, there is no best answer. Sounds like you should just call the rule book and live with the inconsistency. Nobody goes out there and tries to do the wrong thing: by trying to be consistent you would be doing what you think is wrong per the rule book. At least you will then feel good about yourself, and have controlled what you can.
Yes, on my next two games with this partner I will let it be known that I'm calling the HS game by HS rules.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 08:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Know Something Funny ???

Whenever I work a high school game with a partner who works both high school and college games, the partner who insists on using college rules, and mechanics, usually turns out to be a pretty bad high school official, and a pretty bad college, official.

And, whenever I work a high school game with a partner who works both high school and college games, the partner who insists on using high school rules, and mechanics, usually turns out to be a pretty good high school official, and a pretty good college official.

Funny?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 08:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If your partner jumped off the Empire State Building, would you jump off the Empire State Building?
Many, many years ago, I saw the Smothers Brothers in Las Vegas. Dickie asked Tommy, "If everyone else jumped off a cliff, would you jump off a cliff, too?" Tommy replied, "Hunh - not again".