The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84346-what-would-you-do.html)

tref Wed Dec 14, 2011 01:59pm

What would you do?

So... HS pregame, your partners states that he "doesnt like defenders sliding under the rim to take charges. It causes many injuries to the airborne shooter." So he will be calling that play like an arc play :eek:

Of course you dont agree, but when he makes 2 calls like this against the home team in the 4th Q what do you do when the same play is presented to you at the other end?

- Similar play, similar call, for game consistency sake?
- Call it by the HS book & give the perception of screwing the home team for the 3rd consecutive time on both ends of the floor?

fiasco Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:05pm

In the pregame when he said that, I'd be telling him that I'm going to call it the way the book says, and if he wants to deviate from the rules, he's going to have a lot of explaining to do with the coach.

just another ref Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:09pm

If your partner jumped off the Empire State Building, would you jump off the Empire State Building?

Toren Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 804707)
So... HS pregame, your partners states that he "doesnt like defenders sliding under the rim to take charges. It causes many injuries to the airborne shooter." So he will be calling that play like an arc play :eek:

Of course you dont agree, but when he makes 2 calls like this against the home team in the 4th Q what do you do when the same play is presented to you at the other end?

- Call it by the HS book & give the perception of screwing the home team for the 3rd consecutive time on both ends of the floor?

"Never mimic my kicked call"...I'm trying to get plays right.

With that said, if it's a 50/50 type call, I might lean toward the block in that case so home team isn't screwed. But if it's clearly a charge, the home team got screwed 2 times by my partner and 1 by the player who decided to charge in.

Out of curiosity, how did you handle what he said in pregame?

fiasco Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 804712)
If your partner jumped off the Empire State Building, would you jump off the Empire State Building?

Wait, I thought it was supposed to be a bridge. I don't have my parenting manual with me.

bainsey Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:30pm

I'd probably just let it go and let him talk.

Unless I'm missing something, "sliding under the rim" implies trying to obtain LGP after the shooter leaves the floor. By the rules, it's a blocking foul, anyway.

Now, if he means before the shooter leaves the floor, we have a problem. In that case, I'll likely say something, and review that rule.

fiasco Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 804719)

"sliding under the rim" implies trying to obtain LGP after the shooter leaves the floor.

How so? It mentions nothing about the offensive player.

tref Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 804714)
Out of curiosity, how did you handle what he said in pregame?

I was shocked & really didnt know what to say as he is the guy in our association as well as one of my jucos.
I just prayed that 1. We wouldnt have that situation 2. I got the first b/c call
Unfortunately, I went 0-2 in the prayer dept :(

just another ref Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:51pm

It could be worse. I actually had a partner once say, and yes, this is a direct quote: "I take care of the home team, because that's where you get your money."

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:53pm

Quote:

"I'm just going to call the game according to the rules. Your ruling is not supported. I won't defend your call."

An official that makes up these things like the one above is throwing the crew under the bus.

Camron Rust Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:54pm

Quote:

Maybe you should tell him that too many offensive players are driving into a spot that they should not be driving into and causing injuries so you're going to call them all charges. :rolleyes:

tref Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 804733)
"I'm just going to call the game according to the rules. Your ruling is not supported. I won't defend your call."

He had major cred with both coaches, they never said a word to him. And when they looked his way, he simply did the MJ vs. Portland shrug (big ol' bucket) & they looked away.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 14, 2011 03:02pm

Without mentioning any names, suggest to your association that this general topic be part of the training for next year.

tref Wed Dec 14, 2011 03:09pm

NEVER again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 804739)
Without mentioning any names, suggest to your association that this general topic be part of the training for next year.

Will do...

What I learned (already knew) was that I need to speak up when I dont agree with something said in pregame, no matter who says it!!

It was a very uncomfortable night of sleep, I felt as though I sold my soul! Watching the film today, we were pretty f'ing consistent, consistently wrong on 3 b/c plays that is :(

tjones1 Wed Dec 14, 2011 03:38pm

I would call my game and move on.