View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=tref;804743]What I learned (already knew) was that I need to speak up when I dont agree with something said in pregame, no matter who says it!![QUOTE]

If the guy has "major cred" witht he coaches, it's not going to be an issue for you or the crew, and the rest of the story from that game seems to bear that out. People like that are not going to change their minds or opinions if you "speak your mind" in a pre-game. It is really, really hard to change others unless they are open to it. Even if they are 100% wrong, unless they are aware that they are penalized for doing so, either by their assignments or respect from partners/coaches, they will never change, and you get nothing in return for your efforts.

Officiating is supposed to be black and white, but like life, it never really is. The question you pose is great: what should I do in that situation. Unfortunately, there is no best answer. Sounds like you should just call the rule book and live with the inconsistency. Nobody goes out there and tries to do the wrong thing: by trying to be consistent you would be doing what you think is wrong per the rule book. At least you will then feel good about yourself, and have controlled what you can.