The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

It's Life

Okay, I did something, and got a negative result. I think, "What did I do or not do that produced that negative result?" -(missed a call, made the wrong call, etc.) Then, I think, "What will I do in a similar circumstance, in the future? And I go on.
The next time, I use the new protocol, and I check the results - were they positive, or negative? If I'm pleased with the results, I stick with the new protocol. If not, I evaluate, modify, and move on.
The worst thing I can do is to brood over something in the past. And as a young official, this would just tie me in knots, and make me freeze up more and more, because this process is always ongoing at a pace that will wear out a person who worries too much about what he did rather than taking the experience and making the next opportunity better.
Some of the other guys have said it really well - move on. It's life.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I've been reffing for over 30 years so this isn't my first rodeo. I am also a clinician. My biggest concern isn't that you might be missing a call (we all do it) its that you are beating yourself up about it.

We lost one of our best officials in the area 10 years ago when he couldn't let it go. It would just eat on him. Once we were coming back from a game where he had a tough (but correct) call late in the game. He was just bemoaning that he may have messed up.

Then the magic words--"When you have a tough call, you just make it and get over it. When I make a tough call, the doctors put me on suicide watch."

Care about what you do. If you don't care, you won't be worth a hoot. But you have to let it go.
+1

Yeah we have to be page turners instead of dwelling on it & going in the tank.
"That's equivellant to the player who turns the ball over & then doesnt get back on D." - Marc Davis

Although we strive for perfection, its an unattainable goal, so we settle for excellence!
Besides, if we miss a couple out of the 300 or so decisions we make per game our accuracy is still much higher than the players shooting percentage & better than their turnovers to assist ratio.

Last edited by tref; Thu Dec 08, 2011 at 10:25am.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Okay, I did something, and got a negative result. I think, "What did I do or not do that produced that negative result?" -(missed a call, made the wrong call, etc.) Then, I think, "What will I do in a similar circumstance, in the future? And I go on.
The next time, I use the new protocol, and I check the results - were they positive, or negative? If I'm pleased with the results, I stick with the new protocol. If not, I evaluate, modify, and move on.
The worst thing I can do is to brood over something in the past. And as a young official, this would just tie me in knots, and make me freeze up more and more, because this process is always ongoing at a pace that will wear out a person who worries too much about what he did rather than taking the experience and making the next opportunity better.
Some of the other guys have said it really well - move on. It's life.
Sounds like you may be in Quality Systems (possibly 6 Sigma?)
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post

Some advice I learned here: "Be in the right place, look in the right place, call the obvious."
I really like this advice. Tonight are my first two school ball games I'm going to work (after doing some rec ball but having taken the last few years off) and that is my plan for tonight until I can get comfortable with everything I need to know and do.

Dress right, have pride in the signal/call and do the things listed above. Those are on my goal sheet for tonight.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Sounds like you may be in Quality Systems (possibly 6 Sigma?)
I'll take that as a great compliment! Actually, I've developed my philosophy just through life experience.
When I've had employees, and been an administrator, I've used the following ideal: If I have an employee who never makes a mistake, I know one thing about that employee: He/she isn't working anywhere near his/her potential.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 10:57am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by resin113 View Post
Is it better to have a late whistle then no whistle at all?
Absolutely, provided that the call is right. Be patient.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 11:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Before I get started I want to say this is my first year officiating. I have been doing something that is driving me crazy. It upsets me when I don’t make a call. I don’t show it on the court but on my drive home and that evening it bothers me.

Here is my issue and looking for ideas.

I will see a violation or foul but don’t blow the whistle. Sometimes I will start to raise my arm but I don’t blow the whistle and the play continues. I want to break this bad habit. How much time after the incident is it to late to blow the whistle? Is it better to have a late whistle then no whistle at all?

Thanks

Kevin
Your next step will be regretting calls you did make, because you'll start calling everything you think you see. Try to maintain your patient whistle, and you'll minimize this stage.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Absolutely, provided that the call is right. Be patient.
Tagging on to this, your call better be 110% correct. If any doubt at all,
fugetabowtit. Late and questionable are not a good combo.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 01:27pm
This IS My Social Life

Another Analysis

Another dynamic may be going on that might deserve mention.
Think of officiating a game as three partially overlapping bubbles representing what your mind needs to concentrate on. One bubble represents RULES, another MECHANICS/SIGNALS, another JUDGMENT. Ideally, one wants to know the rules so well and his/her mechanics (including positioning and primary coverage areas) and signals so well that hardly any thought at all needs to be expended during a game on those two items. That means you can invest all your mind's efforts on judgment, whether and when to make a call or leave it a no call, which is the situation you originally cited.
With more and more games and situations and camps and contests observed under your belt, you'll find yourself migrating over to that judgment bubble more and more over time.
Make sense? Or just a bunch of psuedo-neophilosophical psychobabble?
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks so much of all the help. I am back on the court tonight and I will try to use these ideas. I try so hard to call a good game. I have so much to learn.

Thanks again.

Kevin
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks so much of all the help. I am back on the court tonight and I will try to use these ideas. I try so hard to call a good game. I have so much to learn.

Thanks again.

Kevin
No prob Kevin.

You may want to consider eliminating the word "try" from your vocab & become a Nike man.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 02:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
No prob Kevin.

You may want to consider eliminating the word "try" from your vocab & become a Nike man.
"Do or do not, there is no try"

Yoda
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Better to leave a violation or travel out there than to call a phantom imo.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks again.

Kevin
As somebody said earlier it gets better with time and games. Remember it's not life and death. Your desire to improve will help you a great deal. Try to stay in the moment.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2011, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Indianaref;802884]As others have said this has happened to us all, still does from time to time...and with time, things do get better. I have seen 30+ yr veterans miss calls. Having said that, I do however think it is probably better to have an on time whistle on violations and a patient whistle on fouls.[/QUOTE]
Starting my 4th year and never heard that....sounds to me like great advice.

This has been a great thread for all us newer officials....like the poster I still (far to often IMO) have that "late recognition/reaction" to a foul and don't get air into the whistle.

To all the vets who replied...thanks for tips and the reassuring advice....esp. about the difference between caring and wanting to get it right and beating yourself up over a missed call.