The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Simultaneous or false double foul

2-man crew:
A1 attempts a jumpshot from outside the key, left side, high. He is fouled on the shot by B1, called by T. While the ball is in the air, L, across the key, calls a foul on A2, for pushing B2. The shot is not successful.
One official says it's a simultaneous foul, and that the ball should be at the POI, A's ball, for a throw-in.
The partner says that it more fits a false double foul; A1 should shoot the two freethrows, with no rebounders along the key, and then it's B's ball for a throw-in, at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul on A2.
Your input, please.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

False double

If the last FT is made, an unrestricted throw-in for team B. If the last FT is missed, spot throw-in out of bounds at spot closest to where the foul occurred.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

APG, Thanks for your input. This is what I told the official that brought the scenario to me. I think I mentioned in another thread, a few weeks ago, that many of our officials come to me, and I come tho the Forum for further input.
Your responses are greatly appreciated.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Did they happen at the same time or one after the other? The answer to that question will determine whether it is simultaneous or false double.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Camron,
The officials got together and determined that the foul on the shooter was first, and then while the shot was in the air, the foul by A2 occurred. What was of most importance was the administration of the penalties.

Last edited by Rob1968; Sun Dec 04, 2011 at 09:59pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Camron,
The officials got together and determined that the foul on the shooter was first, and then while the shot was in the air, the foul by A2 occurred. What was of most importance was the administration of the penalties.
Which means, that one occurred after the other....and not simultaneous.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
What was of most importance was the administration of the penalties.
No, it wasn't.

Unless you know whether they were simultaneous or one after the other, you CAN'T determine the administration of the penalties.

So what was of most importance was what type of foul it was. Determine that and then you know what the administration is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 10:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
No, it wasn't.

Unless you know whether they were simultaneous or one after the other, you CAN'T determine the administration of the penalties.

So what was of most importance was what type of foul it was. Determine that and then you know what the administration is.
Exactly. Knowing the definitions is the first step.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

What I meant by "What was most important was the administration of the penalties." was in regards to the conversation with the official that came to me. You see, his partner wanted to not shoot the two merited free throws, and that seemed to be excessively punitive to team A.
I agree, that knowing the definitions of Simultaneous and False Double Fouls is primary in such a situation, and that by knowing that, and applying the correct definition, the procedure will then be correct.
Thanks, for your responses.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

I would use the following as a guide for helping to determine SF vs FDF. Did the shooter get fouled prior to or after the release of the try? If before, then this sitch is likely an FDF, but if after then it is more likely to be SF. Also don't forget that if this is determined to be a FDF, then the bonus could required at the other end.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Nevada. That will be very helpful in talking to the official that brought up the question to me.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:36am
Back from the DL

Let's say these were simultaneous fouls.

Would we then have to determine whether the fouls were before or after the ball was released? (If before, POI goes to Team A; if after, POI goes to the arrow.)
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Let's say these were simultaneous fouls.

Would we then have to determine whether the fouls were before or after the ball was released? (If before, POI goes to Team A; if after, POI goes to the arrow.)
Correct....and that is because a foul by the offensive team before the release makes the ball dead while still in team control. When the foul by the offensive team is after the release (and not by an airborne shooter), the ball remains live until the try ends....and becomes dead with neither team in control.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Simultaneous or False Double Foul

This is good situation, it actually happens more often that we really pay attention to

All Purpose Gamer and BktBallReg : good information
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by habram View Post
This is good situation, it actually happens more often that we really pay attention to

All Purpose Gamer and BktBallReg : good information
I don't know how often a simultaneous foul occurs...I'd say almost never.

False double fouls happen frequently enough...just a lot of people don't realize this.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.