Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It really depends on your personality. If you do not mind saying what you need to say or you are one of those guys that is afraid you are going to offend will dictate how you handle this. Usually I am very direct with kids and do not mince words. I do not treat them as equals (which they are not) and I do not treat them like they are stupid either. Most of the time kids know exactly what they are doing and saying and if you call them on their behavior they will usually fall in line. I have several lines that I vary by a word or two that work for me, but then again they fit my personality. I would suggest you deal with players in a way that fits your personality. I also do not like to go to coaches to handle players either.

Peace
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. Rutledge, I'm a pretty direct person and would have no problem telling a kid to watch his mouth. Being a new ref I just wasn't sure of the most appropriate way to do this. I didn't want to be out of line, and the more vet official working the game with me didn't do anything. After the game he acted all tough and said he would have T'd them if he heard it. He must be deaf because it was non-stop. I agree some strong eye contact would probably do some good, but I need a line. I'm thinking just a sweet and simple "that's enough 32" would suffice?
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Now that's damn funny!

:d
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 11:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. Rutledge, I'm a pretty direct person and would have no problem telling a kid to watch his mouth. Being a new ref I just wasn't sure of the most appropriate way to do this. I didn't want to be out of line, and the more vet official working the game with me didn't do anything. After the game he acted all tough and said he would have T'd them if he heard it. He must be deaf because it was non-stop. I agree some strong eye contact would probably do some good, but I need a line. I'm thinking just a sweet and simple "that's enough 32" would suffice?
I have even said to players, "When you have the amount of zero's behind your name on a check, then you can talk to me that way." You would be surprised how they get the message and shut up. Or better yet, their teammates get the message and handle it. Because there always seems to be one kid that wants to act like he is grown talking to me or my partners. And I also use the FT line as a way to say things to multiple players and get the message across as well. Again not something that happen every game, but techniques that work for me and prevent further problems.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And I also use the FT line as a way to say things to multiple players and get the message across as well.
+1

Efficient dead ball preventative officiating.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I told a coach, 'I want fewer comments from your players. They may think I need the help, but I don't want it.' A little humor handled it and that was the end. The kids were testing the waters and I drew the line in the sand. Message received and understood. Doesn't always work and you might have to handle it in other ways. Give it 10 or 15 years, you'll figure it out!
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 06:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Couple More Years, And I'll Be The Best Basketball Official On The Planet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64 View Post
Give it 10 or 15 years, you'll figure it out!.
The grayer my hair gets, the easier it is to manage a game. It's true. Why else has it gotten so much easier? It's the hair.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The grayer my hair gets, the easier it is to manage a game. It's true. Why else has it gotten so much easier? It's the hair.
Can't be. Mine is not grey.....its gone.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Grey...Gone, basically the same thing (at least in terms of game mgmt).
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64 View Post
The kids were testing the waters and I drew the line in the sand.
that's exactly what you should do....draw your line in the sand - then blow the whistle when they cross it!

remember - you promote what you permit. if you don't do anything about it, then you are promoting that type of behavior as being acceptable.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 07:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Side Out ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Draw your line in the sand, then blow the whistle when they cross it!
Hey. Off topic. Take it over to the beach volleyball Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey. Off topic. Take it over to the beach volleyball Forum.
not sure i can post over there since i'm not wearing sandles, swimsuit, or sun glasses....btw DON'T ask what I'm wearing - i may have to start calling you Bernie Fine and not Billy Mac...
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Did a freshman game last night with a bunch of whiners. Mostly just "oh my GOD!" and "he's hacking me!!" type comments. Nothing that would, in my opinion, warrent a T on its own, although I did hear one "that's bullcrap!" I thought about Ting that one up, but stopped myself. I'm a fairly new ref so I would like to hear what an appropriate way to nip this stuff in the bud. Because once they started whining they didn't stop.

The one team even started making little jab comments during free throws.

Thanks.
Depending on the level of whine/comments, on a dead ball I'll do the 'come here' with finger and tell him/her I've had enough. It puts player on notice and coach of course will ask "what?" as I'm near bench. Usually, player may get yanked or reprimanded by coach and they appreciate no T was called, yet they know one is coming if it continues....everybody is different, works very well for me.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

When it comes to players...

...at whatever level (I work HS, V and sub-V), I have zero tolerance for their commentary. I will warn a player as firmly as possible, and if it happens again, they're whacked.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
...at whatever level (I work HS, V and sub-V), I have zero tolerance for their commentary. I will warn a player as firmly as possible, and if it happens again, they're whacked.
My warning comes in the pregame
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 11:39am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
1. Ask the captain &/or coach to help you out as you have heard enough.
2. Official warning
3. Whack
4. Toss
What exactly is an official warning where players are concerned?