The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 12:45pm
I miss being on the floor

Different Whistles?

Was watching an NCAA M game from last night. One official's whistle sounded distinctly different from the other two.

Almost like the guy was using a Fox 40 Pearl, and the other two were using the Classic.

Any requirement in college to use a Fox 40 Classic?
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 02:05pm
This IS My Social Life

Hearing Like a Dog

Don't NCAA whistles have to be all the same in order to be the right frequency to stop the clock?
Or isn't that a universal thing in all NCAA venues?

One guy on our crew got the brilliant idea to get a Dolphin whistle. We made him put it away and go back to the Fox 40 so as to be uniform crew-wise. It made one of us sound like some sort of wounded duck.

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Nov 20, 2011 at 02:08pm.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I doubt even the majority of games use PTS.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 02:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Don't NCAA whistles have to be all the same in order to be the right frequency to stop the clock?

One guy on our crew got the brilliant idea to get a Dolphin whistle. We made him put it away and go back to the Fox 40 so as to be uniform crew-wise. It made one of us sound like some sort of wounded duck.
I tried the Dolphin for one half. Most uncomfortable whistle I've ever had in my mouth.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's a myth. You can blow air into the PTS mic and the clock will stop.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 03:17pm
Administrator

Quote:

Junior and Daryl Long, and I have been using the Dolfin whistle since it came out. I much prefer it over the Fox-40 Classic as well as the Mini-Fox (which I used for years because I do not care for the feel of the Fox-40 Classic in my mouth) for comfort and I think that it sounds slightly louder than the Fox-40 Classic. And do you really think that players, coaches, and fans can really tell the difference in sound. I don't think so. I think that you are over thinking the sound issue. I can tell you that I was probably one of last college officials, men's or women's, at any difference that finally went to the Fox and it was not until the Mini-Fox came out and then I eventually went to the Fox-Classic because I just did. I can still make a peaed Acme Thunderer sound louder than a Fox-40.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 03:44pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Junior and Daryl Long, and I have been using the Dolfin whistle since it came out. I much prefer it over the Fox-40 Classic as well as the Mini-Fox (which I used for years because I do not care for the feel of the Fox-40 Classic in my mouth) for comfort and I think that it sounds slightly louder than the Fox-40 Classic. And do you really think that players, coaches, and fans can really tell the difference in sound. I don't think so. I think that you are over thinking the sound issue. I can tell you that I was probably one of last college officials, men's or women's, at any difference that finally went to the Fox and it was not until the Mini-Fox came out and then I eventually went to the Fox-Classic because I just did. I can still make a peaed Acme Thunderer sound louder than a Fox-40.

MTD, Sr.
Nope, nothing wrong with my hearing.
To be fair, had our odd-man-out partner handed us each a Dolphin, we probably would've used them.
Did sound quite different, though.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
The difference between a Fox 40 and Dolphin is night and day to me and quite obvious and I'm betting most everyone else can tell when an official is using a different whistle than his partners. Now whether that in of itself is a big deal is a different discussion.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 04:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
That's a myth. You can blow air into the PTS mic and the clock will stop.
It might be on some level, but I worked with someone that used a Fox Mini when we had the PTS and the clock did not stop multiple times when he blew the whistle. Now was that because of the whistle, I really do not know for sure. I do know that my other partner did not have a problem. So something has to do with the sound or the loudness of the sound to stop consistently.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It might be on some level, but I worked with someone that used a Fox Mini when we had the PTS and the clock did not stop multiple times when he blew the whistle. Now was that because of the whistle, I really do not know for sure. I do know that my other partner did not have a problem. So something has to do with the sound or the loudness of the sound to stop consistently.

Peace
Could have been something wrong with the unit or the microphone?

Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 04:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
It could be, but something tells me the whistle was a factor. It was also very loud in that gym, but I was not having any problems with my whistle and neither was my partner. I tried to give him a Fox 40.

Also I saw and official's Dolphin whistle completely fail when he needed to call a foul. So I am not sold on that whistle. I have never had that problem with a Fox 40.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:44am
Huck Finn

Quote:
I can still make a peaed Acme Thunderer sound louder than a Fox-40.

MTD, Sr.
I would like to hear that. Not that I'm doubting you; I'm sort of a geek when it comes to some things like this and think it would be interesting.

I use a dolphin and fox40 The Dolphin is louder with the same amount of air put into it. It also works with PTS. The frequencies are very close, but I don't think that matters for PTS.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
...or the batteries could've been running low.
In my experiences with the PTS, the last few games of the tourney or early games the next morning always seem to have issues with stopping the clock.
Blowing air into the mic without a whistle should stop the clock.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

So, most likely I am just weird... my partners have always told me so.

But I can hear a different pitch between the Fox 40 CMG (with the plastic teeth guard) and the regular Fox 40.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 10:32am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have never had that problem with a Fox 40.

Peace
Ditto... don't plan on switching - if it isn't broke, don't fix it.