The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Different Whistles? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83248-different-whistles.html)

stiffler3492 Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:45pm

Different Whistles?

Was watching an NCAA M game from last night. One official's whistle sounded distinctly different from the other two.

Almost like the guy was using a Fox 40 Pearl, and the other two were using the Classic.

Any requirement in college to use a Fox 40 Classic?

Freddy Sun Nov 20, 2011 02:05pm

Hearing Like a Dog

Don't NCAA whistles have to be all the same in order to be the right frequency to stop the clock?
Or isn't that a universal thing in all NCAA venues?

One guy on our crew got the brilliant idea to get a Dolphin whistle. We made him put it away and go back to the Fox 40 so as to be uniform crew-wise. It made one of us sound like some sort of wounded duck.

APG Sun Nov 20, 2011 02:35pm

I doubt even the majority of games use PTS.

Rich Sun Nov 20, 2011 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 799312)
Don't NCAA whistles have to be all the same in order to be the right frequency to stop the clock?

One guy on our crew got the brilliant idea to get a Dolphin whistle. We made him put it away and go back to the Fox 40 so as to be uniform crew-wise. It made one of us sound like some sort of wounded duck.

I tried the Dolphin for one half. Most uncomfortable whistle I've ever had in my mouth.

BktBallRef Sun Nov 20, 2011 02:54pm

Quote:

That's a myth. You can blow air into the PTS mic and the clock will stop.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Nov 20, 2011 03:17pm

Quote:

Junior and Daryl Long, and I have been using the Dolfin whistle since it came out. I much prefer it over the Fox-40 Classic as well as the Mini-Fox (which I used for years because I do not care for the feel of the Fox-40 Classic in my mouth) for comfort and I think that it sounds slightly louder than the Fox-40 Classic. And do you really think that players, coaches, and fans can really tell the difference in sound. I don't think so. I think that you are over thinking the sound issue. I can tell you that I was probably one of last college officials, men's or women's, at any difference that finally went to the Fox and it was not until the Mini-Fox came out and then I eventually went to the Fox-Classic because I just did. I can still make a peaed Acme Thunderer sound louder than a Fox-40.

MTD, Sr.

Freddy Sun Nov 20, 2011 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 799330)
Junior and Daryl Long, and I have been using the Dolfin whistle since it came out. I much prefer it over the Fox-40 Classic as well as the Mini-Fox (which I used for years because I do not care for the feel of the Fox-40 Classic in my mouth) for comfort and I think that it sounds slightly louder than the Fox-40 Classic. And do you really think that players, coaches, and fans can really tell the difference in sound. I don't think so. I think that you are over thinking the sound issue. I can tell you that I was probably one of last college officials, men's or women's, at any difference that finally went to the Fox and it was not until the Mini-Fox came out and then I eventually went to the Fox-Classic because I just did. I can still make a peaed Acme Thunderer sound louder than a Fox-40.

MTD, Sr.

Nope, nothing wrong with my hearing.
To be fair, had our odd-man-out partner handed us each a Dolphin, we probably would've used them.
Did sound quite different, though.

APG Sun Nov 20, 2011 03:46pm

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

The difference between a Fox 40 and Dolphin is night and day to me and quite obvious and I'm betting most everyone else can tell when an official is using a different whistle than his partners. Now whether that in of itself is a big deal is a different discussion.

JRutledge Sun Nov 20, 2011 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 799323)
That's a myth. You can blow air into the PTS mic and the clock will stop.

It might be on some level, but I worked with someone that used a Fox Mini when we had the PTS and the clock did not stop multiple times when he blew the whistle. Now was that because of the whistle, I really do not know for sure. I do know that my other partner did not have a problem. So something has to do with the sound or the loudness of the sound to stop consistently.

Peace

APG Sun Nov 20, 2011 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 799334)
It might be on some level, but I worked with someone that used a Fox Mini when we had the PTS and the clock did not stop multiple times when he blew the whistle. Now was that because of the whistle, I really do not know for sure. I do know that my other partner did not have a problem. So something has to do with the sound or the loudness of the sound to stop consistently.

Peace

Could have been something wrong with the unit or the microphone?

JRutledge Sun Nov 20, 2011 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 799337)

It could be, but something tells me the whistle was a factor. It was also very loud in that gym, but I was not having any problems with my whistle and neither was my partner. I tried to give him a Fox 40.

Also I saw and official's Dolphin whistle completely fail when he needed to call a foul. So I am not sold on that whistle. I have never had that problem with a Fox 40.

Peace

tomegun Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:44am

Quote:

I can still make a peaed Acme Thunderer sound louder than a Fox-40.

MTD, Sr.

I would like to hear that. Not that I'm doubting you; I'm sort of a geek when it comes to some things like this and think it would be interesting.

I use a dolphin and fox40 The Dolphin is louder with the same amount of air put into it. It also works with PTS. The frequencies are very close, but I don't think that matters for PTS.

tref Wed Nov 23, 2011 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 799337)

...or the batteries could've been running low.
In my experiences with the PTS, the last few games of the tourney or early games the next morning always seem to have issues with stopping the clock.
Blowing air into the mic without a whistle should stop the clock.

Tio Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:18am

So, most likely I am just weird... my partners have always told me so.

But I can hear a different pitch between the Fox 40 CMG (with the plastic teeth guard) and the regular Fox 40.

tjones1 Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 799338)
I have never had that problem with a Fox 40.

Peace

Ditto... don't plan on switching - if it isn't broke, don't fix it.