The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 05:51pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Continuous motion?

A1 begins his shooting motion. The court is used for multiple sports and A1 steps on a non-boundary marking. The official mistakenly blows his whistle, believing that A1 stepped out of bounds. A1 continues the shooting motion and the ball enters the basket. Score the basket?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 06:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Inadvertent Whistle. Unfortunately, play would stop immediately. Continuous motion should not apply based on the rule.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Continuous motion applies to a shooter and a foul by B. I don't see a B foul in this scenario.

I don't see counting the basket unless you're going to apply 2-3.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

And his/her coach would likely thank you as any line for another sport that is close enough to be confused with the real boundary line is likely a very long, low-odds shot.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 06:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And his/her coach would likely thank you as any line for another sport that is close enough to be confused with the real boundary line is likely a very long, low-odds shot.
Not necessarily. I've seen some volleyball lines and some cross-court lines that are within a couple feet of the base line. Had this very IW once, fortunately, the shooter missed a 5 foot shot.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 07:41pm
Lighten up, Francis.

You're all too smart and too fast. I was thinking this would get somebody who forgot that continuous motion only applies when the whistle is for a foul by the defense.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Not necessarily. I've seen some volleyball lines and some cross-court lines that are within a couple feet of the base line. Had this very IW once, fortunately, the shooter missed a 5 foot shot.
Note that I did say "likely".
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

This is a college gym in Northern Wisconsin. I think Mick has said he has ref'ed here before.

If you look, there is a line about 1 foot closer than the real FT line. I saw 2 violations in a tourny last year for a FT shooter shooting fron the "14" foot line.

You cannot tell from this pic very well, but the whole gym is a nightmare of lines.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 06:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sorry Coach, I Left My Seeing Eye Dog In the Car ...

We have many courts in our area that have lines close to, parallel to, and the same width, and color, as the division line and endlines. No matter how often I work at these sites, and note these lines in the pregame with my partner, we still inadvertently blow the whistle occasionally. All we can do is say "Sorry", and give the ball back to the team that didn't go back court, or didn't go out of bounds.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 01, 2008 at 06:22pm.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 06:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Someday I'll Give This A Try ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Nice wise, relevant, intelligent, and pleasant image.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 01, 2008 at 06:22pm.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 06:58am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
You cannot tell from this pic very well, but the whole gym is a nightmare of lines.
Oh, I can tell in that picture! Looks like a real nightmare.....no matter what sport is playing!

Ya ever wonder what architect of the gym steps back after it's done and says "yeah, that looks good!?"
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 07:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
This is a college gym in Northern Wisconsin. I think Mick has said he has ref'ed here before.

If you look, there is a line about 1 foot closer than the real FT line. I saw 2 violations in a tourny last year for a FT shooter shooting fron the "14" foot line.

You know it, Coach.
Makes a guy dizzy.
The designer should be beaten with a wet noodle.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 07:44am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Oh, I can tell in that picture! Looks like a real nightmare.....no matter what sport is playing! "
Looks like they even lay sod on the gym floor so they can play soccer!!
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

For anyone watching the WNBA Conference Finals last night this is close to what happened.

A1 attempts a layup on the right side of the basket, which misses the rim because of B1's defense. The ball careens off the backboard to the left side of the basket where A1 grabs the rebound and attempts another try. As A1 is in her shooting motion B2 fouls A1. At the same time the Lead and the Center official blow their whistles. The C has a travel and the L has a foul. The C was calling a traveling violation for catching her own shot attempt when it didn't hit the rim (NBA\WNBA rule). The crew came together and they called it an inadvertent whistle and gave the ball to Team A under the basket. The L must have told the C that B1 tipped the shot which allowed A1 to catch the missed shot. The made basket and the foul did not count.

So if we have an inadvertant whistle at the same time as a whistle for a foul during a shot with continuous motion what do we do?

I would think that this is not the way to handle it for High School & College (I don't know the rules for the NBA so I'm not going to speak on if they got it right or not). I would think that the whistle for the foul is what stopped the clock and NOT the inadvertant whistle. So the basket and foul should count and play resumed as normal after the free throw.

What does everyone think and did anyone see this?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 09:30am
Ch1town

Didn't see the game, nor am I officiating at that level. But as you describe the play perhaps they determined the whistle for the alleged travel violation occured just prior to the whistle for the foul.

In this scenario on the HS level, I would think we should handle it the same way. A classic example of what came first the incorrect travel call or the the foul. Sounds like good team officiating!

Last edited by Ch1town; Wed Oct 01, 2008 at 09:33am.