The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 10:27am
Prince

Thumbs up

8.01 (OBR) requires, for the Set Position, that "Preparatory to coming to a set position, the pitcher shall have one hand on his side; from this position he shall go to his set position as defined in Rule 8.01(b) without interruption and in one continuous motion.

Note that there is NO BALK penalty associated with this passage of the code, nor one that I can discern in 8.05!

So, how do we enforce the part of the code "...in one continuous motion..." if the pitcher, from his preliminary position taking signs from the catcher, starts up to go to his Set Position, then stops, PRIOR to becoming set, and goes back down to take more signs, or other reason. He has interrupted his continuous motion from the preliminary position to the Set Position. If you elect to call a balk, then under which paragraph of the rules, or rules interpretation reference, do you cite for enforcement.
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

MLB calls a balk for this.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Wink hey Rich!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
MLB calls a balk for this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~`
Do you??
Old Sun Jun 01, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

this happens a lot

Sure its usually called a balk, but I guess they have left the discretion to the umpires.

Many times F1 looks in getting the sign and maybe flinches, or starts a movement only to have F2 change the sign or something and he has to stop and look in again.

If he's not deceiving anyone I won't call it anything.

It I think he balks, I'm going to call it.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Jun 01, 2003, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

You cannot stop twice, which makes it a balk
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Talking

think of it this way. almost all pitchers will have one way to take signs from the stretch, and one way to come set. knowing that...once the pitcher is in his normal position/stance to take signs and he begins to go to into his set position to pitch he must continue or step off the rubber. for example. some pitchers like to lean really far towards the plate to take signs and then stand almost straight up to come set before throwing. if the pitcher begins to straighten up as if to come set and the stops...that's a balk. deception...the whole premise for calling a balk. same thing applies with the hands. hopes this helps.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
This maybe a first, but I gotta agree with a sooner fan.

If he stops in what has been routinely his "coming set" motion then I have a balk. If he turns his head a bit or shakes an arm or hand a little then I won't nitpick on those.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soonerfan
think of it this way. almost all pitchers will have one way to take signs from the stretch, and one way to come set. knowing that...once the pitcher is in his normal position/stance to take signs and he begins to go to into his set position to pitch he must continue or step off the rubber. for example. some pitchers like to lean really far towards the plate to take signs and then stand almost straight up to come set before throwing. if the pitcher begins to straighten up as if to come set and the stops...that's a balk. deception...the whole premise for calling a balk. same thing applies with the hands. hopes this helps.
No one (I don't think) disagrees that it's called a balk.

The question is -- where in the (OBR) rules is this supported? Balks are (generally) covered in 8.05 -- and I dont' see anything there that covers this. And, it's not just "deception" -- because some deception is obviously allowed.

So, chalk it up as one of the 234 (or whatever the number is) of "errors" in OBR.

Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: Double Stops,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Have always been a balk.

I will dig through JEA and see what I find.

Tee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
A guy called Al Caplin made a video called "See aBalk, Call a Balk" B rate at best. "Only one stop per motion" As far as the continuos motion, most mounds got a BIG hole in front of the rubber....stumblin/fumblin/bumblin...intent to decieve shall govern(That is in the book)
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

A guy called Al Caplin made a video called "See aBalk, Call a Balk" B rate at best.

I thought it was a "C" at best until I saw Evans' video. Now I see it as an "F".
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Wink OK....now

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tim C
[B]Al was one of my instructors at Brinkman more than 20 years ago.

Minor League baseball actually invented a league for "Little" Al to umpire.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We know why you suck.. Listening to Al.....LOL;o