The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Team Control Durign a Throw-in

Scenario 1:
Both teams in the bonus, Thrower-in A1 throws the ball and it is then tipped by A2. A3 fouls B3. Free throws for B3?

Scenario 2:
Both teams in the bonus, Thrower-in A1 throws the ball and it is then tipped by B2. A3 fouls B3. Free throws for B3?
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Scenario 1:
Both teams in the bonus, Thrower-in A1 throws the ball and it is then tipped by A2. A3 fouls B3. Free throws for B3?

Scenario 2:
Both teams in the bonus, Thrower-in A1 throws the ball and it is then tipped by B2. A3 fouls B3. Free throws for B3?
Have you checked the new rulings in the case book?
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 03:34am
This IS My Social Life

When the TI Ends...

See Rule 4-42-5a, definition of a throw-in, for when the throw-in ends. The new tweaked rule does nothing to change how it's always been regarding your two scenerios.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 03:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
See Rule 4-42-5a, definition of a throw-in, for when the throw-in ends. The new tweaked rule does nothing to change how it's always been regarding your two scenerios.
I don't agree with what you have posted here.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 04:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Have you checked the new rulings in the case book?
2.10.1. sit E perhaps?
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 07:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:
A defensive player tipping a pass does not end Team Control.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 07:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Previously there was no TC during a throw-in so you should have been shooting free throws (if in the bonus) in the OP's scenarios. You don't think that has changed now?
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

I understand the rulings, in both of the scenarios I mentioned. Because I do a lot of training, and get emails and calls from quite a few of our officials in my area, regarding rules, and situations in their games, I'm interested in how the esteemed members of the forum answer such questions.
These are the types of questions that come up in our training meetings -- they come to me -- and I come here to find out how you are addressing current issues.
Thanks, for your input.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:32am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:
These situations are very straight-forward under the new rules. Team control has been established when A1 has the ball for the throw-in. Since a tip (by a player on either team) never ends team control, any common foul by Team A is a team control foul.

As I said, these situations are very straight-forward. (Other situations are decidedly NOT.) The whole purpose of this particular rule change was precisely to eliminate free throws in the situations you describe.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Scrapper.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

They are very straightforward except for the fact that, while team control is now established when the throwin starts, team control DOESN'T exist for the purposes of backcourt violations and the 10 second count until the ball is under player control (inbounds). We really have 2 different team controls depending on whether the topic is violations or fouls.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 02:18pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
They are very straightforward except for the fact that, while team control is now established when the throwin starts, team control DOESN'T exist for the purposes of backcourt violations and the 10 second count until the ball is under player control (inbounds).
Exactly why I said that other situations are decidedly NOT straight-forward. The rules committee definitely screwed this up.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 04:50pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don't agree with what you have posted here.
I stand corrected.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 06:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Are We Surprized ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
The rules committee definitely screwed this up.
It's not like we didn't see this coming. Doesn't the NCAA team control rule during the throwin also cover all the backcourt exceptions? Why didn't the NFHS just copy the NCAA rule? Silly monkeys.

Speaking of silly monkeys. Isn't it about time that Jurassic Referee returned from his sabbatical? How can we start the season without him?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 26, 2011 at 06:19pm.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

There is team control during a throw in. Does a tip end team control? you answer that you answer your question.