The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

team control on throw in in HS question

I apologize if this has been asked and asnwered in a previous thread.

Would the following scenarion be a violation this year since team control now occurs during a throw in?

Team A inbounds ball from front court oob (does not matter where). A1, standing in frontcourt) then tips the inbounds pass into the backcourt where A2 is the first to touch it.

Logically it should be a violation since A1 touching of the ball gives the ball fornt court status in team control of A. A2 is first to touch in backcourt, therefore violation. Is this correct thinking or am I missing a exception.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Team control on throw-ins is for fouling purposes. No FTs for team B if team A fouls.

A mere touch after the throw-in ends does not establish team control, just like last year.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

We have not gotten the fully written out rule, but it's a safe bet to say that this play would not be a backcourt violation due to the exceptions that will be added to the book similar to the NCAA rule.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 01:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Team control on throw-ins is for fouling purposes. No FTs for team B if team A fouls.

A mere touch after the throw-in ends does not establish team control, just like last year.
Team control is already established, so that statement is not true as it pertains to this discussion.

In the NCAA rule set it's the throw-in exception that prevents it from being a a BC violation, not the failure to establish team control.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

What I meant

True story BNR!
A mere touch of the throw-in pass does not constitute player possession although t/c exists...
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 07:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
True story BNR!
A mere touch of the throw-in pass does not constitute player possession although t/c exists...
But PC is not required, per se, for a BC violation. Currently (previously, actually), it's only required because it's needed for TC to exist. The rule change essentially means PC is no longer required for TC.

The rules will have to be re-worded to keep the BC rule the same.

My guess, they won't be, but a case play will be written that references a non-existent requirement (PC) in order to claim it's not a violation.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

They will get it right by simply copying the NCAA exceptions.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They will get it right by simply copying the NCAA exceptions.
I wouldn't put it past the NF members to mess up something that simple...
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

You guys know their routine better than I, this will only be my 6th book. Hmmm I wonder what color they'll be this season...
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 09:35pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I thought the exception was for the same player to retrieve. A1 touches in FC, the A1 can retrieve in BC as first to touch.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I thought the exception was for the same player to retrieve. A1 touches in FC, the A1 can retrieve in BC as first to touch.
Here is the exception that allows the ball to go into the backcourt under NCAA rules:

Rule 7, Section 6

Art. 8. Regardless of where the throw-in spot is located, the throw-in team may cause the ball to go into the back court.
Art. 9. After the throw-in ends, an inbounds player in the front court who is not in control of the ball may cause the ball to go into the back court.

Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 09:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Here is the exception that allows the ball to go into the backcourt under NCAA rules:

Rule 7, Section 6

Art. 8. Regardless of where the throw-in spot is located, the throw-in team may cause the ball to go into the back court.
Art. 9. After the throw-in ends, an inbounds player in the front court who is not in control of the ball may cause the ball to go into the back court.
In Fed? I thought A1 would be the ONLY one who could be first to touch in BC under that scenario.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Fed? I thought A1 would be the ONLY one who could be first to touch in BC under that scenario.
I think we're mixing up two issues...I'm quoting the NCAA rule allowing the ball to be inbounded in the backcourt or fumbled into the backcourt w/o a backcourt violation being called.

I think you're referring to the exception that allows a player to jump from the frontcourt, catch the ball in the air, and land in the frontcourt.

Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 10:04pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I think we're mixing up two issues...I'm quoting the NCAA rule allowing the ball to be inbounded in the backcourt or fumbled into the backcourt w/o a backcourt violation being called.

I think you're referring to the exception that allows a player to jump from the frontcourt, catch the ball in the air, and land in the frontcourt.
Not quite. If A1 fumbles or deflects the ball on a TI from FC into BC, he can go get it and be first to touch. But, I do not think A2 can go get it if A1 is the buy who caused it to go BC on the TI.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not quite. If A1 fumbles or deflects the ball on a TI from FC into BC, he can go get it and be first to touch. But, I do not think A2 can go get it if A1 is the buy who caused it to go BC on the TI.
The exception doesn't restrict anyone from getting the ball if it's fumbled in the backcourt. As I understand the rule, it doesn't matter who retrieves the ball in the backcourt.