The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team Control Durign a Throw-in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82770-team-control-durign-throw.html)

Rob1968 Wed Oct 26, 2011 02:25am

Team Control Durign a Throw-in

Scenario 1:
Both teams in the bonus, Thrower-in A1 throws the ball and it is then tipped by A2. A3 fouls B3. Free throws for B3?

Scenario 2:
Both teams in the bonus, Thrower-in A1 throws the ball and it is then tipped by B2. A3 fouls B3. Free throws for B3?

Nevadaref Wed Oct 26, 2011 03:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 795922)
Scenario 1:
Both teams in the bonus, Thrower-in A1 throws the ball and it is then tipped by A2. A3 fouls B3. Free throws for B3?

Scenario 2:
Both teams in the bonus, Thrower-in A1 throws the ball and it is then tipped by B2. A3 fouls B3. Free throws for B3?

Have you checked the new rulings in the case book? ;)

Freddy Wed Oct 26, 2011 03:34am

When the TI Ends...

See Rule 4-42-5a, definition of a throw-in, for when the throw-in ends. The new tweaked rule does nothing to change how it's always been regarding your two scenerios.

Nevadaref Wed Oct 26, 2011 03:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 795924)
See Rule 4-42-5a, definition of a throw-in, for when the throw-in ends. The new tweaked rule does nothing to change how it's always been regarding your two scenerios.

I don't agree with what you have posted here.

constable Wed Oct 26, 2011 04:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 795923)
Have you checked the new rulings in the case book? ;)

2.10.1. sit E perhaps?

Raymond Wed Oct 26, 2011 07:30am

Quote:

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

A defensive player tipping a pass does not end Team Control.

Raymond Wed Oct 26, 2011 07:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 795924)

Previously there was no TC during a throw-in so you should have been shooting free throws (if in the bonus) in the OP's scenarios. You don't think that has changed now?

Rob1968 Wed Oct 26, 2011 08:26am

I understand the rulings, in both of the scenarios I mentioned. Because I do a lot of training, and get emails and calls from quite a few of our officials in my area, regarding rules, and situations in their games, I'm interested in how the esteemed members of the forum answer such questions.
These are the types of questions that come up in our training meetings -- they come to me -- and I come here to find out how you are addressing current issues.
Thanks, for your input.

Scrapper1 Wed Oct 26, 2011 08:32am

Quote:

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

These situations are very straight-forward under the new rules. Team control has been established when A1 has the ball for the throw-in. Since a tip (by a player on either team) never ends team control, any common foul by Team A is a team control foul.

As I said, these situations are very straight-forward. (Other situations are decidedly NOT.) The whole purpose of this particular rule change was precisely to eliminate free throws in the situations you describe.

Rob1968 Wed Oct 26, 2011 08:35am

Thanks, Scrapper.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:57am

They are very straightforward except for the fact that, while team control is now established when the throwin starts, team control DOESN'T exist for the purposes of backcourt violations and the 10 second count until the ball is under player control (inbounds). :rolleyes: We really have 2 different team controls depending on whether the topic is violations or fouls.

Scrapper1 Wed Oct 26, 2011 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 796026)
They are very straightforward except for the fact that, while team control is now established when the throwin starts, team control DOESN'T exist for the purposes of backcourt violations and the 10 second count until the ball is under player control (inbounds).

Exactly why I said that other situations are decidedly NOT straight-forward. The rules committee definitely screwed this up.

Freddy Wed Oct 26, 2011 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 795926)
I don't agree with what you have posted here.

I stand corrected.

BillyMac Wed Oct 26, 2011 06:13pm

Are We Surprized ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 796063)
The rules committee definitely screwed this up.

It's not like we didn't see this coming. Doesn't the NCAA team control rule during the throwin also cover all the backcourt exceptions? Why didn't the NFHS just copy the NCAA rule? Silly monkeys.

Speaking of silly monkeys. Isn't it about time that Jurassic Referee returned from his sabbatical? How can we start the season without him?

deecee Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10pm

There is team control during a throw in. Does a tip end team control? you answer that you answer your question.