Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Throw-in

National Federation Rules.

This came up at our chapter meeting last evening:

Player A1 who is out of bounds moves back (away from the end line) and then teammate A2 reaches across the end line and A1 passes (not hands) the ball to him. Legal?

I know that members of team B cannot reach across the end line without consequences but how about a teammate.

I'd like a rulebook or case book reference if possible. I could not find anything on this (unusual) situation.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

7-6-2
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Illegal

7-6

Art 2...The throw-in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. The thrower shall released the ball on a pass directly into the court, except as in 7-5-7, within five seconds after the throw-in starts. The throw-in pass shall touch another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds. The throw-in pass shall not touch a teammate while it is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary plane.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

No one at your chapter meeting knew this or could find it on the book?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

*crickets*
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Illegal

7-6

Art 2...The throw-in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. The thrower shall released the ball on a pass directly into the court, except as in 7-5-7, within five seconds after the throw-in starts. The throw-in pass shall touch another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds. The throw-in pass shall not touch a teammate while it is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary plane.
And now for the why....

Since B can not touch the ball or reach through the line while it is in the hands of the thrower this prevents the thrower from dropping the ball into A2's hands in an area where B is not allowed to defend.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And now for the why....

Since B can not touch the ball or reach through the line while it is in the hands of the thrower this prevents the thrower from dropping the ball into A2's hands in an area where B is not allowed to defend.
Camron, I'm not sure I understand your point. Could you re-explain?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Camron, I'm not sure I understand your point. Could you re-explain?
He's explaining that provision in the rule. The defense isn't allowed to touch the ball on the throw-in side of the boundary plane. If the above provision wasn't part of the throw-in restrictions, Team A could inbound the ball in an area where Team B would not be legally able to defend.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
He's explaining that provision in the rule. The defense isn't allowed to touch the ball on the throw-in side of the boundary plane. If the above provision wasn't part of the throw-in restrictions, Team A could inbound the ball in an area where Team B would not be legally able to defend.
Right-while the ball is being held by the thrower. I'm just looking at it from the standpoint that following the release, a defender potentially could reach across the boundary plane on a designated throw-in and intercept the pass; but an offensive player cannot do the same to receive such a pass.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Right-while the ball is being held by the thrower. I'm just looking at it from the standpoint that following the release, a defender potentially could reach across the boundary plane on a designated throw-in and intercept the pass; but an offensive player cannot do the same to receive such a pass.
That is correct....it is to balance the offense and defense such that the defense has some chance of defending the throwin.